Brave Browser release info

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I absolutely hate that Brave constantly adds crypto related stuff to the browser without ability to turn it off. Brave Search in incognito tab? You guessed it, no option to disable it. Fonts in internal pages are weird, also, no ability to change. I feel like they're forcing me to use that bullsh*t.

On Android, touch to search feature can't be disabled unless you go to the settings from the pop-up that shows up first time. After that, you can't turn it off because, even though the option exists, you can't get to it through the settings.

I'd be willing to switch from Chrome to Brave if they give me options to turn off these features I don't need. I've been waiting for years, and every now and then try Brave, yet there are no changes except every so often new unwanted features appear.
A good idea is to research a product before using it, check online reviews to see what’s included and what’s not. Also common sense to find workarounds.. for small annoyances.

For what its worth:
  • Brave Rewards icon can be hidden and Private Ads disabled in 1-click.
    • brave://settings/rewards
    • brave://rewards/
  • Settings for Brave Wallet, IPFS and Web3 domains can be modified.
    • brave://settings/web3
  • Brave Incognito
    • Add a !bang (ie. !g in your search to redirect to Google)
    • Or a bookmark your preferred search engine and click on it when searching incognito.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser uses their own search engine by default with no setting page to modify.
Opera, Edge, Firefox and Safari all use non-privacy search engines by default.

Both Brave Search and DDG incorporate !Bangs function, a quick hack to make searching a breeze.

There was an article shared recently about if you use Chrome browser then you support the BS Google are enforcing on their users and the web.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Brave Search in incognito tab? You guessed it, no option to disable it.
On Android you can change the search engine, idk about desktop browser though, haven't used it for a while now.

On Android, touch to search feature can't be disabled unless you go to the settings from the pop-up that shows up first time. After that, you can't turn it off because, even though the option exists, you can't get to it through the settings.
That is so stupid. Faced that a few times, had to reset the app and start again from scratch.

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
Brave Search in incognito tab? You guessed it, no option to disable it.
But it's right there:
1690545897291.png

Same for the cryptocrap. Everything has a toggle.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
A good idea is to research a product before using it, check online reviews to see what’s included and what’s not. Also common sense to find workarounds.. for small annoyances.

For what its worth:
  • Brave Rewards icon can be hidden and Private Ads disabled in 1-click.
    • brave://settings/rewards
    • brave://rewards/
  • Settings for Brave Wallet, IPFS and Web3 domains can be modified.
    • brave://settings/web3
  • Brave Incognito
    • Add a !bang (ie. !g in your search to redirect to Google)
    • Or a bookmark your preferred search engine and click on it when searching incognito.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser uses their own search engine by default with no setting page to modify.
Opera, Edge, Firefox and Safari all use non-privacy search engines by default.

Both Brave Search and DDG incorporate !Bangs function, a quick hack to make searching a breeze.

There was an article shared recently about if you use Chrome browser then you support the BS Google are enforcing on their users and the web.
Believe me, I thouroughly searched Brave UI and web to see if I can disable the things that annoy me. While some I was able to disable using brave://flags and settings, I wasn't able to disable everything I wanted.

I did disable everything you mentioned, but you can't remove that stuff from the menu. For example, Brave VPN which is useless because it's not free and it requires subscription. That's literally an ad in the menu. Brave Rewards under also cannot be removed or hidden.

Screenshot_2023-07-29-00-00-28-910_com.brave.browser.jpg Screenshot_2023-07-29-00-00-22-982_com.brave.browser.jpg

Another UI element which annoys me is Brave ad blocker in the context menu. You can't disable that either. Brave News, when you disable it using brave://flags, new tab page crashes for some reason, so I had to keep that one enabled. It's strange, but that only happens on Windows version, while on Android I don't have that issue.

And, the last thing—giant search bar with Brave Search. Entering !g isn't a solution I would like. I would like to completely remove it from incognito tab and only have blank page like all other browser have. I know I can change search engine of the address bar in settings, but that doesn't change the search bar.

For some, these are small annoyances, for me big ones. Because I like having browser set up my way, with features I want to use. Main reasons why I'm not using Edge are privacy concerns and it became the most bloated browser ever. But at least Microsoft gives you options for customizing it; Brave adds "features" and doesn't give you an option to disable them.
On Android you can change the search engine, idk about desktop browser though, haven't used it for a while now.

That is so stupid. Faced that a few times, had to reset the app and start again from scratch.
It's REALLY stupid. I hate that feature. I mean, it searches the web every single time you touch a word. The worst feature of Chromium Android browsers.
But it's right there:
View attachment 277467
Same for the cryptocrap. Everything has a toggle.
It doesn't actually. There isn't a toggle for everything. While some things can be turned off from settings, some things can only be disabled through brave://flags.

Changing settings from the picture above doesn't remove the Brave Search bar in incognito tab. And that's what I want. Either change it to Google or remove it completely.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Desktop​

Release Notes v1.56.20 (Aug 3, 2023)​

Web3​

• Fixed missing fee estimate for EIP-1599 transactions on zksync Mainnet. (#31959)
  • Fixed inability to remove custom networks under brave://settings/wallet/networks. (#31953)

General​

• Fixed permissions for “BraveSoftware” folder on macOS. (#30546)
  • Fixed vertical tab scroll clamping on Linux. (#31925)
  • Fixed issue where tab content was displayed behind vertical tab after exiting full screen on Linux. (#30629)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 115.0.5790.171. (#31682) (Changelog for 115.0.5790.171)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Desktop​

Release Notes v1.57.47(Aug 15, 2023)​

Web3​

• Added Stripe Onramp for US users. (#31397)
  • Added auto discovery of NFTs on all user added networks. (#30976)
  • Added auto discovery of POAPs. (#30977)
  • Added “Filters and display settings” modal for the “Portfolio” page. (#30496)
  • Added “Group by” option to the “Filters and display settings” modal on the “Portfolio” page. (#30753)
  • Added v2 headers into Brave Wallet. (#30825 & #30583)
  • Added caching for NFT metadata responses. (#29532)
  • Added contract address and tokenId parameters to the “Send” page URL. (#30547)
  • Added “Help Center” link next to “Privacy Policy” link on the “Swap” page. (#30372)
  • Implemented optimized Solana token balances fetcher. (#30584)
  • Improved Brave Wallet panel performance. (#30772)
  • Updated Brave Wallet to translate FEVM addresses to f410 addresses and allow choosing existing FEVM address as recipient. (#30403)
  • Updated Brave Wallet to support sending f1 to typed f4 addresses. (#30401)
  • Removed unnecessary price calls when hiding/unhiding NFTs. (#30925)
  • Removed scroll from import accounts screen. (#30939)
  • Fixed inability to sign “Swap” transactions on Solana DApps. (#32109)
  • Fixed “IPFS” badge being incorrectly displayed in the URL bar on non-IPFS sites. (#31145)
  • Fixed slow Brave Wallet panel load time. (#22714)
  • Fixed “Back” button breaking the UI on “Asset Details” page in certain cases. (#30995)
  • Fixed inability to create ETH account with Brave Wallet. (#30809)
  • Fixed “Activity” route not being persisted after Brave Wallet is unlocked. (#31111)
  • Fixed account transactions not being displayed on the activity panel view. (#30780)
  • Fixed “Activity” tab not auto-updating in certain cases. (#28800 & #30450)
  • Fixed “eth_signTransaction” to use the correct network for display. (#28564)
  • Fixed incorrect token symbol being displayed in “Activity” tab for Swap transactions. (#30447)

Rewards​

• Implemented new rewards onboarding UI and flow. (#30308)
  • Updated “Estimated Earnings” indicator to display a monthly payout range. (#30351)

General​

• Added support for “Forget by Default” browsing mode. (#26465)
  • Added the ability to resize sidebar. (#30808)
  • Added support for overriding eTLD+1 exceptions from default adblock filter lists. (#20426)
  • Added farbled weights to Accept-Language headers’ service workers. (#29372)
  • Added brave://flags/#brave-override-download-danger-level flag to disable download warnings when Safe Browsing is disabled. (#28917)
  • Added the ability to dismiss the end of support message on both macOS 10.13 and 10.14. (#32129)
  • Improved text on domain blocking interstitial page. (#30142)
  • Improved scrolling for vertical tabs by enabling sticky pinned tabs by default. (#30761)
  • Moved “Improve search suggestions” setting to be under brave://settings/search. (#30878)
  • Updated VPN toolbar button style. (#30930)
  • Removed known Hive email trackers “h_sid” and “h_slt” from URLs. (#30731)
  • Fixed delta updates on Windows. (#30748)
  • Fixed incorrect VPN button state when credentials are refreshed. (#30881)
  • Fixed settings sidebar disappearing on narrow screen widths. (#24352)
  • Fixed restored new tab not displaying the selected extension layout. (#30890)
  • Fixed uneditable red URLs appearing in the URL bar during autocomplete. (#28198)
  • Fixed custom filter lists in shields not respecting the “Expires” field. (#17909)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 116.0.5845.96. (#32241) (Changelog for 116.0.5845.96)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The main new feature introduced in Brave 1.57 is the Forget by Default browsing mode. Previously called Forgetful Browsing, Forget by Default adds a new option to Brave to have site data deleted automatically when a website is closed.

A click on the Shield icon in the address bar displays the new option as "Forget me when I close this site". The option is disabled by default and may be enabled on a per-site basis or globally in Brave. It instructs the browser to clear first-party storage of the site, including cookies and DOM Storage, when the last tab of the website is closed.

The global setting is available under brave://settings/shields. Brave will clear the first-party storage of all sites when that option is turned on. Users may then disable the feature for select sites, so that first-party storage remains locally after the site is closed. This option is better from a privacy point of view, but it may require some tinkering until important sites have been put on the allow list.

Brave users who don't see the option yet may load chrome://flags/#brave-forget-first-party-storage and set the flag to Enabled to get it after a restart.

brave forget

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Desktop​

Release Notes v1.57.49 (Windows Only) (Aug 17, 2023)​

• Fixed startup crash on Windows caused by adding a non-existent or empty custom filter list. (#32301)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Desktop​

Release Notes v1.57.53 (Aug 23, 2023)​

Web3​

• Added support for “Swap” on Base. (#32235)

General​

• [Security] Fixed browser crash as reported on HackerOne by 0xc4gr1. (#32425)
  • [Security] Fixed browser crash as reported on HackerOne by neeythann. (#32449)
  • Fixed missing “Open Guest profile” keyboard shortcut. (#32268)
  • Fixed issue where Brave would not relaunch via the taskbar icon in certain cases on Windows. (#32309)
  • Fixed issue where permission dialog wa

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Desktop​

Release Notes v1.57.57 (Aug 30, 2023)​

Web3​

• Fixed broken “Send” on BNB Chain. (#32291)

General​

• Added “Fetch VPN State” under brave://skus-internals. (#32030)
  • [Security] Validated Wayback Machine URL before navigation as reported on HackerOne by xiaoyinl. (#32395)
  • [Security] Cleared sensitive information from URL before sending to Wayback Machine as reported on HackerOne by xiaoyinl. (#32385)
  • Fixed delta update files not being code signed on Windows. (#31977)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 116.0.5845.163. (#32587) (Changelog for 116.0.5845.163)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.