Brave Browser release info

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just wrote a semi-comprehensive reply and it disappeared when I went to double check something. Happened perhaps because Javascript is turned off. Yes, if I happen to be on a webpage with dark background I see what you see in terms of choices. I seem to be on mostly white background pages. Why my dropdown flyouts are mostly transparent, unclear, my current first choice(s) graphics card, or fact Brave is on virtual machine...?? Again, this is a minor annoyance, and perhaps unique to my box.

EDIT: I just changed the forum view to "dark" so now I'm seeing all the option oldschool mentioned. ok for now. thanks.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Why run it in a VM? That's likely the cause of your "bug".

?? why not in vm? Lately 90% of all I do online is with win10_running _in_vmware & Brave is installed on win10_vm, but sorta moving off topic. I've been happily surprised how good win10 runs in vmware workstation (compared to several years ago, my experience).

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Version 1.4.95 Chromium: 80.0.3987.122 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Desktop
Release Notes V1.4.95

• Added the ability to look up an archived page using the Wayback Machine. (#6144)
  • Added option in brave://settings to disable Tor component. (#6808)
  • Updated order of certain items on the hamburger menu. (#5552)
  • Updated theme selection to be per install instead of per profile. (#5373)
  • Fixed sync crash in certain cases. (#8178)
  • Fixed ads history being limited to 99 entries. (#8046)
  • Fixed ads history entries not being displayed in reverse chronological order. (#6757)
  • Fixed ads history showing incorrect date on Linux. (#6088)
  • Fixed multiple landed confirmations being created in certain cases. (#7249)
  • Fixed broken formatting of monthly contributions on brave://rewards for some locales. (#7296)
  • Fixed rewards notification icon not being shown on verified publisher sites. (#7121)
  • Fixed extensions being blocked when verifying Brave Rewards wallet. (#6309)
  • Fixed “too many redirects” error caused by Brave’s user-agent. (#6966)
  • Fixed P3A toggle selection not being respected in all open windows. (#7289)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.122. (#8379)

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Here's a recent Brave Blog preview of a new feature coming to its built-in adblocker What’s Brave Done For My Privacy Lately? Episode #2: Third-Party Cosmetic Filtering | Brave Browser
However, beginning today with our Nightly release channel, Brave will start applying cosmetic filter rules to further improve browsing the Web in Brave. Our approach is to make a best-effort, runtime decision about whether a cosmetic filter list rule would hide only third-party advertisement content, including empty page space caused by blocking third-party ads at the network layer. If a cosmetic rule would hide a first-party ad, we do not apply that cosmetic filter list rule.

Brave’s approach is designed to balance performance and accuracy. Taking too long to decide whether a cosmetic rule would block first-party ads would unacceptably degrade browsing performance, while a system that frequently hides first-party ads would be incompatible with Brave’s mission.

Our approach is open source and auditable by anyone interested in the specific approach, but at a high level our approach works as follows:
  1. For each cosmetic rule that applies to a page, periodically check to see if the rule matches any elements on the page. If no elements match, check again later.
  2. If the cosmetic rule would hide first-party images or resources, do not apply the rule.
  3. If the cosmetic rule would hide any elements that include no images or resources (e.g. a text-only ad), do not apply the rule.
  4. Otherwise, apply the cosmetic rule and block the third-party ads

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Desktop
Release Notes V1.4.96

• No audio output in Google Meet (blocked by autoplay).(#4621)
  • Application crashes when calculating the winning page classification category.(#7866)
  • Buttons on top tiles removed message needs padding.(#8282)
  • Duplicate sync object id of bookmarks.(#8325)
  • Wayback machine feature should be disabled in Tor windows or use Tor.(#8419)
  • Upgrade from Chromium 80.0.3987.122 to Chromium 80.0.3987.132.(#8499)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FYI: According to Brave support, no ETA on blocking etag tracking yet and 1st party CNAME tracking is on their radar. They appear very methodical in their approach to built-in privacy protection without breaking websites. This is understandable given that many of their users are "Average Joes".

Edit: I should add that forum support response time in Adblocking has been quite good, another sign that they treat this feature with some priority.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Moved over to Brave- It's certainly more polished, in fact the only issue if it is one is the tool-bar could do with a little work as I'm fussy about such things - The upcoming Fingerprint idea looks good & tried on the nightly release - Will probably stay with Brave now 😮😮😮

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Moved over to Brave- It's certainly more polished, in fact the only issue if it is one is the tool-bar could do with a little work as I'm fussy about such things - The upcoming Fingerprint idea looks good & tried on the nightly release - Will probably stay with Brave now 😮😮😮

Let us know what you think. (y)

Confession of this ex-Edge fanboy: I've got Edge chained up on the back porch so it can't go anywhere!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Let us know what you think. (y)

Confession of this ex-Edge fanboy: I've got Edge chained up on the back porch so it can't go anywhere!
Same here, I really like Edge but the extra privacy Brave seems to have has steered me this way, I tried out the Fingerprint idea on the nightly the other day & it really does seem to work - So far I'm with Brave but don't want to go on to nightly builds so will see what the next few weeks bring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Is there any reasons to switch from FF with uBlock + Privacy badger to Brave?

If you prefer Brave, use it.(y)
Do not change Firefox for Brave for privacy reasons.
Brave will never do this:

800.JPG

As you can see I have Flash Player installed, but there is no plugin.
I may have other plugins as well, but none are listed.
If I do a privacy test, no Flash plugin is installed.

But Flash works.;)

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Script Blocking Exceptions Update
by BraveFeb 12, 2019Press, Security & Privacy

We have received many questions about script blocking exceptions being reported by several news outlets and blogs. This conversation is about script loading, not tracking. Loading a script from an edge-cache does not track a user without third-party cookies or equivalent browser-local storage, which Brave always blocks and always will block. In other words, sending requests and receiving responses without cookies or other means of identifying users does not necessarily create a tracking threat.
Brave aims to maintain a working Web, while reducing or eliminating the invasive tracking that has become so ubiquitous online. In order to do this, we make the conventional distinction between first-party and third-party content, granting different permissions to each.
First parties are the websites you’re directly accessing, whereas third parties are embedded widgets and other resources in the page, which are indirectly accessed. If a user navigates to a website, they may find that several other requests will be made to fetch resources on other websites. Depending on the website, Brave may cancel the request entirely, or permit it while severely limiting access to user data.
We found that blocking certain third-party scripts broke many sites, so predicated on our cookie blocking and fingerprinting protection, we hardcoded some exceptions to ensure the best possible user experience. For example, Facebook and Twitter both contain widgets which web authors can integrate into their online properties. These widgets aim to make it easier for users and publishers to connect by allowing users to authenticate through Facebook or Twitter, rather than creating and maintaining an account with the publisher themselves. The exception list covered by several news outlets allows both of these widget sets to operate on a leash. They can load, but they cannot access local data on the client so as to track the user.
For many publisher implementations, blocking the script request would break Facebook-based OAUTH and Facebook likes and shares.
As an example, the Facebook JavaScript SDK that uses the connect.facebook.net hostname is used for Facebook likes and shares, for Facebook login and for the Facebook Graph API. There is an alternative method for developers that relies on using redirects in place of the Facebook SDK, which uses the www.facebook.com hostname. For more information, see the initial bug report that we received saying that users could not log in to sites with Facebook. In 2016, we found many examples of sites such as Fitbit, Quora and Digg that used Facebook login in this manner; it is possible that some of them do not anymore.
Fingerprinting is not always a reliable tracking method.
Given that most users on the web share IP addresses with other users because of NAT, it is unlikely this can be used to reliably track users unless they have a very distinctive user agent string. Brave mitigates this challenge by not having our own user-agent string; for instance on desktop, our UA is the same as that of Chrome. Brave also blocks some types of JavaScript fingerprinting in third-party iframes by default.
At Brave, we continually work to protect users without breaking the Web and users can always be assured that we are doing everything in our power to prevent third-parties from eavesdropping on their browsing experience. We are working to eliminate these script-blocking exceptions without blocking the embedded widgets with which some users do choose to interact.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool

Spilled my coffee this morning when I logged in. What happened, dumping Edge for Brave, no problem, dumping the iconic Frank Zappa avatar for a half baked ING bank logo? What is wrong, having a midlife crisis. The best remedy for a mid life identity crisis is to return to authentic core values which made old school stick out.

1583911264892.png

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
@oldschool

Spilled my coffee this morning when I logged in. What happened, dumping Edge for Brave, no problem, dumping the iconic Frank Zappa avatar for a half baked ING bank logo? What is wrong, having a midlife crisis. The best remedy for a mid life identity crisis is to return to authentic core values which made old school stick out.

View attachment 234710

I'm just passing to say that @Lenny_Linux is completely right. And if @oldschool insists in this nonsense, we'll have to burn MalwareTips till ashs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.