Advice Request Brave - couple of questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
1)Does Brave have some addon like Firefox Facebook container or maybe Brave is doing something similar on default?

2)Why doesn't Brave have speed dial? There is some option Top sites but I can move anything there, can't find button to pin....

3) I will use two browsers, Brave and Firefox. On Firefox I will probably install Kaspersky browser extension (not sure yet becasue I am privacy oriented - still researching) but what about Brave. Is it smart to install on Brave Kaspersky browser extension?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
1)Does Brave have some addon like Firefox Facebook container or maybe Brave is doing something similar on default?

2)Why doesn't Brave have speed dial? There is some option Top sites but I can move anything there, can't find button to pin....

3) I will use two browsers, Brave and Firefox. On Firefox I will probably install Kaspersky browser extension (not sure yet becasue I am privacy oriented - still researching) but what about Brave. Is it smart to install on Brave Kaspersky browser extension?
I use this as my speed dial.
Speed Dial [FVD] - New Tab Page, 3D, Sync...

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
)Does Brave have some addon like Firefox Facebook
Not that I'm aware of.
Why doesn't Brave have speed dial?
I have no idea. I've never used speed dial. What advantage does it have over bookmarks?
Is it smart to install on Brave Kaspersky browser extension?
Emsisoft or Malwarebytes probably beats Kaspersky for privacy. Brave has Google SafeBrowsing, same as FF I believe, if you choose to enable it.

Last edited:

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
@oldschool
You know, Speed Dial is more nice looking, bookmark is just a ugly list. Much better visual aspect. I think every browser has default speed dial, I am suprised that they didn't introduced that yet.

@Sammo

I found this one:
Yet another speed dial - Your speed dial is prettier but seems like my open source

@Spawn

@Moonhorse

So Brave was meant to be used without any add-ons?
Asking becasue of this thread on reddit what I read: "Well I have noticed that Brave blocks 26 trackers (on a certain site) and Badger blocks 3. When I disable Badger Brave is still blocking 26 meaning Badger has found something Brave has missed."

and this

On firefox with Adguard I disable WebRTC and I get a good results, nothing is visible:

WebRTC Leak Test

On Brave everything is visible. Any way to fix that?

- Regarding privacy should I disable google safe browsing? Does Firefox has that option on? Like I said I am privacy oriented...

- Do I need to set some settings after Brave install or leave everything on default?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So Brave was meant to be used without any add-ons? Asking becasue of this thread on reddit what I read: "Well I have noticed that Brave blocks 26 trackers (on a certain site) and Badger blocks 3. When I disable Badger Brave is still blocking 26 meaning Badger has found something Brave has missed."
Do you use agressive mode against ads/trackers? Badger will show the results anyway

On Brave everything is visible. Any way to fix that?
On brave settings, find the webrtc setting and disable that, upd i guess

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So Brave was meant to be used without any add-ons? Asking becasue of this thread on reddit what I read: "Well I have noticed that Brave blocks 26 trackers (on a certain site) and Badger blocks 3. When I disable Badger Brave is still blocking 26 meaning Badger has found something Brave has missed."
Since Brave is a privacy-focused browser, which is more than Edge and Chrome, it's better to keep it simple to avoid any privacy mishaps.

You can use Extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

Something to be aware of, occasionally extensions from the Chrome Web Store get sold to Adware companies, or siphon data from the browser without notice, until flagged by a researcher.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
"Well I have noticed that Brave blocks 26 trackers (on a certain site) and Badger blocks 3. When I disable Badger Brave is still blocking 26 meaning Badger has found something Brave has missed."
Privacy Badger's counter shows blocked domains and blocked 3rd party cookies so the total number counted is often misleading. I find that Privacy Badger adds no real benefit to Brave.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Opera has a version of Speed Dial & I never used it, used Brave for some time now - I have since pruning maybe 800 bookmarks & I really hope Bookmarks are not removed - I have a section FQ which are ones I use often, the system works well for me & has really remained unaltered for years

BM.jpg

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Since Brave browser is a privacy-focused browser, which is more than Edge and Chrome, it's better to keep it simple to avoid any privacy mishaps.
I have tested my web mail provider in Edge with built-in Strict Tracking and added Privacy Badger, Trace and compared it to Brave. Either of these add-ons enhance Edge's protection but provide virtually no benefit to Brave, with minor exceptions. Brave really needs little help whatsoever.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have tested my web mail provider in Edge with built-in Strict Tracking and added Privacy Badger, Trace and compared it to Brave. Either of these add-ons enhance Edge's protection but provide virtually no benefit to Brave, with minor exceptions. Brave really needs little help whatsoever.
Been trying brave with Trace last day or so, not sure if it's helpful or not?

Reactions: Protomartyr

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave blocks common tracking pixels but not cookie-less etags, cleans some URLs and has a good referer policy. Trace is one of the very few that properly blocks these in Chromium. I tried it but no longer use it in Brave for the reasons stated above. Negligible added value.

I use ClearURLs and LocalCDN.

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
Do you use agressive mode against ads/trackers? Badger will show the results anyway

I keep it on default standard mode. That example was from reddit not me.

On brave settings, find the webrtc setting and disable that, upd i guess

That is probably "WebRTC IP Handling Policy" - I can change it to Default, default public and private interfaces, default public interfaces only and disable non proxied UDP. No matter what I put I always on Brave get:
brave.png

While on firefox:
firefox.png

Test link for pictures above:

And other test:

Firefox:
fir.png

Brave - I just see this, maybe it is working on this test - don't know
br.png

You mean browser addon? By this CanvasBlocker is better - read this comment:

Reactions: Nevi and Moonhorse

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
Opera has a version of Speed Dial & I never used it, used Brave for some time now - I have since pruning maybe 800 bookmarks & I really hope Bookmarks are not removed - I have a section FQ which are ones I use often, the system works well for me & has really remained unaltered for years

View attachment 246047

wow :oops: 800?!?!

how do you manage all that o_O:D

@lorcav123 if you want all the privacy protections available in FF then it's best to stick with it. Brave is privacy-wise the best of the Chromium browsers IMO.

I will use both of them. Brave default for fast normal surfing, and Firefox with extensions for some other stuff plus sensitive pages.

Last question on which I din't get answer here: In Brave do I disable or enable this option in settings - privacy and security:

"Google Safe Browsing (protects you and your device from dangerous sites)
Sends URLs of some pages you visit to Google, when your security is at risk"

If I understood here they are sending that to google but google can't see from who it is??

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Last question on which I din't get answer here: In Brave do I disable or enable this option in settings - privacy and security:

"Google Safe Browsing (protects you and your device from dangerous sites)
Sends URLs of some pages you visit to Google, when your security is at risk"

If I understood here they are sending that to google but google can't see from who it is??

It's a balancing act between privacy and security.
Google Safe Browsing like Microsoft SmartScreen is your best defense against phishing and malware.
They are proven to be very effective.
You can replace that with an extension and/or a good AV, but I wouldn't recommend that.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What has happened to Brave Extension Store? Looks like KIV

If only Brave has its own extension store I would have it running. I don't like it using extensions directly from Chrome Web Store.

I know Ungoogled Chromium cannot be used (not supported) on site like gmx.com email service because it’s a non-mainstream browser. The website states so when you try to use its free email service. No issue with FF browser though. Anyone has problem running Brave on some websites because it too is a non-mainstream browser?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.