Brave - New Browser with a big plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 19, 2014
"Now, Javascript pioneer and former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich has launched browser called Brave that could offer ad-blockers a new way to support publishers and the open web. Available in beta for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, Brave offers the same features as traditional blockers like Crystal and the now defunct Peace, drawing in users with faster loading times and less exposure to tracking cookies. But the current browser is just the first step in a far more ambitious project to reshape tracking-based web advertising as a whole. Brave would replace individualized tracking cookies with anonymity-friendly interest tags, and use direct micropayments to make up the difference in ad rates. It’s a bold plan, pitting Eich against Google and some of the most powerful companies on the web."
Article

Its atm im closed beta, but you can apply. + Its Open source ()

Website
Twitter @brave

//i have no idea how i should make this thread, but atleast the main website is linked + article about it i guess//

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Take look that MT people, i have been using this open-source browser few month & look already good! It is actually mine default browser. Lot of support by me, take a test ride! \o/ Nice people!
Brave Software
New update => Release 0.13.0 Dev Channel · brave/browser-laptop · GitHub
  • Added WebTorrent support for magnet links. (#5818)(#5815)
  • Added Linux sandbox. (#874)
  • Added PDF based payment history contribution statements. (#4769)
  • Added the revision SHA the source code was built from to about:brave. (#5462)
  • Added copy to clipboard option for about:brave page. (#5790)
  • Added a display-text-only mode for bookmark toolbar folders. (#6078)
  • Optimized UI lag caused by about: pages being open. (#6715)
  • Optimized URL bar autocomplete to no longer flash when you enter text. (#6644)
  • Changed "window renderer" processes to no longer include Node (content renderers never did in Brave). (#6454)
  • Changed Battery Status API to require user permission. (#1885)
  • Updated localization files. (#6709)
  • Fixed Twitter login. (#4758)
  • Fixed blocking of YouTube ads. (#4693)
  • Fixed tab switching performance. (#6715)
  • Fixed drag and drop for tabs. (#6033)
  • Fixed memory leak causing renderer crashes. (#6656)
  • Fixed pinned tabs showing up on popups. (#6483)
  • Fixed 1Password auto-submit on fill. (#5875)
  • Fixed focus on tabs keeps "bouncing" back to previous tab. (#5730)
  • Fixed github drop down for releases page. (#5213)
  • Fixed window.onbeforeunload handling. (#4079)
  • Fixed labels and buttons in notification bar behavior. (#6417)
  • Fixed Bookmarks showing wrong folder name. (#4983)
  • Fixed context menu cut and paste does not change findbar state. (#5753)
  • Fixed clicking links from emails will sometimes do a search instead of directly following. (#5911)
  • Fixed numerous issues for Brave Payments. (#6345)
  • Fixed numerous issues for new tab page. (#6355)
  • Fixed numerous issues for UI polish. (#6346)
  • Fixed various security & privacy issues. (#6356)
  • Fixed borders and corners of each button on navbar not being clickable. (#5679)
  • Fixed Geolocations not working on Windows ia32. (#6331)
  • Upgrade to Chromium 54.0.2840.100. (#3679)
  • Updated Muon to 2.0.17. (#6340)

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have been testing it out for a while it has built in ad blocker, anti-phishing-malware, https everywhere, script blocker (that says it will break sites and does), and fingerprint protection, it also lets you select from a list of password apps like LastPass.

I have found that while you may not be able to use extensions like other Chrome based browsers that desktop applications like Adguard, Hitman Pro Alert and sandboxie works just fine for added privacy/security.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Release 0.13.2 Dev Channel · brave/browser-laptop · GitHub
released this Feb 6, 2017

• Added a way to keep tabs the same size when closing instead of resizing. (#6088)
  • Added import recovery keys feature for Brave Wallet. (#4806)
  • Added HTTP auth (login) dialogs which now have a cancel button. (#6855)
  • Added file open with drag-and-drop. (#3819)
  • Added keyboard selection for autocomplete. (#1302)
  • Added performance improvements (particularly startup time and bookmarks import). (#6833)(#4879)
  • Fixed spellcheck on Linux. (#7015)(#6967)
  • Fixed Command+Click to open a new tab next to the parent tab. (#6971)
  • Fixed various UI issues. (#6812)(#6806)(#6867)(#6754)(#5494)
  • Fixed various ledger issues. (#6966)(#6592)(#6878)(#6685)(#6941)
  • Fixed multiple home page URLs which stopped working - "Your file was not found". (#6913)
  • Fixed lesechos.fr anti-ad blocking behavior. (#6879)
  • Fixed tab title display when reloading the page. (#5738)
  • Fixed autofill suggestion not being dismissed when tabs are switched. (#6820)
  • Fixed change language to require restart similar to other pref settings. (#6782)
  • Fixed bookmark hanger items alignment & text blur. (#6777)
  • Fixed bookmark listing to make it more clickable for adding/editing a bookmark. (#6704)
  • Fixed apt repository not working for Ubuntu yakkety. (#6643)
  • Upgrade to muon 2.0.19 (#7003)
Downloads

bluemind7x

Level 1
Feb 3, 2017
Successfully installed and using this browser to sign in here in malwaretips.com and replying you,seems to be light and fast according to my needs,thanks for notifying us about this browser,i am learning day by day from this forum

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
"less exposure to tracking cookies"

Interesting , I just installed it on iOS out of curiosity .

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to completely understand how much less it tracks us

Anyway I used curious to test the fingerprint protections on panopticlick and it seems it load for ages , it seems not able to catch the fingerprint !
Try !

Reactions: Faybert and BugCode

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Yea, must have to remember brave is still in "babsystep"'ing in the big world, and most important opensource, so everyone can see what they are up to. Fingerprinting is really early things to judge , b'cse it's recent addind for browser and fingerprinting you have to remember that most important is NOT to be a guy/girl in the 1000 people mass and you are the only one who use sunglesses, so who's to point when you do something?

Even tho, its more reliable get mixed to mass.
Final thouhts, i will and have encourage people behind the curtain that time what it has been a open distribution. okay, i know some people under the hood ;)

God's bless the brave!

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
"less exposure to tracking cookies"

Interesting , I just installed it on iOS out of curiosity .

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to completely understand how much less it tracks us

Anyway I used curious to test the fingerprint protections on panopticlick and it seems it load for ages , it seems not able to catch the fingerprint !
Try !

Nope it seems I have to clarify

I discovered that , now at least , it is not the " block fingerprint " option that prevent panopticlick to get the FP, but the option " block scripts "

So now I am confused

What " block FP" is for? What it is supposed to block ?

Reactions: BugCode

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Lot of stuff => Fingerprinting - MozillaWiki , example. But have to remember as i said before, its better you are in 100 peoples mass and if you have sunglasses and others don't, you are preventing fingerprinting, but of course its better you don't have sunglasses because you are easier identified with sunglasses head ;)

E: Remember mate, it is early build still, not many people work it on :/

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Lot of stuff => Fingerprinting - MozillaWiki , example. But have to remember as i said before, its better you are in 100 peoples mass and if you have sunglasses and others don't, you are preventing fingerprinting, but of course its better you don't have sunglasses because you are easier identified with sunglasses head ;)

E: Remember mate, it is early build still, not many people work it on :/

Thank you ,I got your point about the "sunglasses " but I am also trying to figure out how things work

And it seems to me ( sorry if I am wrong ) FP blocker does not block absolutely anything : I did panopticlick test with FP blocker on first , then with FP blocker off and panopticlick gets exactly the same results in both test . ( script blocker turned off)

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Mate, just clear ur cookies and cache before make a second test. Scriptblocker does prevent some part of testes. & Yes, it is not absolutely block everything, it is altrouht impossible. But you could prevent it manually and some registery tweaking, but that doesn't pay the price of result. I have testing that panoliptic site few different browser and few days! And you can eaxample firefox do some about:config tweak etc and it count a lot what addon do you have and there are so many different fingerprinting techniques, so i can't count. Script based almost everything..

Trust me, you doesn't want to do like me and i tested many days this page and i got my best result if don't remember wrong little bit under 10 bits.

Here some pics few years ago; (with waterfox) if i remember right.

1: https://i.imgsafe.org/92367e2f02.png
2: https://i.imgsafe.org/923d32af60.png
3: https://i.imgsafe.org/923fd5730f.png

Trust me, it is not worth it, just keep ur sunglasses somewhere else than your eyes covered ;)

- BC

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Can someone verify installation location for this browser? For me it is not in program files but instead everything is in folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\brave
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\brave\Brave.exe

Also CPU usage is close to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.