Serious Discussion Brave or Firefox as backup browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I did try out Brave a very long time ago, but it was not well known as it is nowadays. And on my previous pc, I did try to use Brave once, but it had some really weird graphical glitches. (Like constantly flickering on the screen, that was really noticeable.) Now I use Edge as my main browser, but I want to instal a second browser as backup. (Just in case.)

Now on my old pc I used Firefox as my main and I liked it, and I was planning to install it as a backup browser on my new system. But by looking at some Brave threads here on MT, I read a few things about the current Brave. And I would like to ask which of the two would you people choose, privacy wise, which do you think has more to offer?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Both Brave and Firefox have strong privacy features, but they approach privacy in different ways. Brave is known for its built-in ad blocker and privacy-focused features, such as blocking third-party trackers by default.

Firefox, on the other hand, has a long-standing reputation for prioritizing user privacy and provides a range of customizable privacy settings. It also offers a variety of privacy-focused extensions and add-ons.

Ultimately, the choice between Brave and Firefox comes down to personal preference. If you prioritize a browser with built-in privacy features and a focus on blocking ads and trackers out of the box, Brave may be a good option for you. However, if you prefer a browser with a history of strong privacy protection and customizable settings, Firefox might be the better choice.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I was considering too with the both of these

I think brave is stronger privacy/ security wise if you use shields on strict mode and use braves '' script blocker'' on every site you visit ( whitelist the ones you visit most often)

Instead of firefox i would try waterfox because of Waterfox G6.0 ships with DNS over Oblivious HTTP support and performance optimizations - gHacks Tech News

Also waterfox has mobile (android/ios browsers coming soon)

I would use brave as my daily browser if my pc werent shared with the family, this is why i currently use chrome + adguard to keep the sites working correctly + have security from chrome

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I was considering too with the both of these

I think brave is stronger privacy/ security wise if you use shields on strict mode and use braves '' script blocker'' on every site you visit ( whitelist the ones you visit most often)

Instead of firefox i would try waterfox because of Waterfox G6.0 ships with DNS over Oblivious HTTP support and performance optimizations - gHacks Tech News

Also waterfox has mobile (android/ios browsers coming soon)

I would use brave as my daily browser if my pc werent shared with the family, this is why i currently use chrome + adguard to keep the sites working correctly + have security from chrome

I will definitely keep Waterfox in mind as well, thank you. Looks like it could be better out-of-the-box so to speak then Firefox.

Still, I am curious which people would choose then... Waterfox or Brave. Does Brave Shields have something like the element picker from uBlock Origin?

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I will definitely keep Waterfox in mind as well, thank you. Looks like it could be better out-of-the-box so to speak then Firefox.

Still, I am curious which people would choose then... Waterfox or Brave. Does Brave Shields have something like the element picker from uBlock Origin?
1696087212555.png

Seems waterfox will pass this test completely, but it hangs on other sites no idea why... but sure its nice project to keep eye on

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
View attachment 278875

Seems waterfox will pass this test completely, but it hangs on other sites no idea why... but sure its nice project to keep eye on
Secure SNI is still not widely supported by websites as it's still under development. And you will pass the above test except Secure SNI with pretty much any browser.
About Waterfox, I thought it only made sense back in the day when there wasn't a 64-bit version of Firefox available. What's the benefit of using it instead of Firefox now?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Secure SNI is still not widely supported by websites as it's still under development. And you will pass the above test except Secure SNI with pretty much any browser.
About Waterfox, I thought it only made sense back in the day when there wasn't a 64-bit version of Firefox available. What's the benefit of using it instead of Firefox now?
I used it back in 2011 for playing java game, where 64 bit version would give better fps than normal firefox did

Nowadays its just a firefox fork, inpedence since april and only god knows what will future bring
I think its in interesting development stage at the moment since there is mobile browser versions comin and much stuff happening recently

Currently its okay secondary browser to use, but you have to be geek to understand more of its privacy and security features and be looking at their reddit / blog / new version release logs to understand whats hiding inside of waterfox

Im currently using it as secondary browser and the secure SNI is bugged out, sites hang and browser dont work, but i have hopes for future

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I used it back in 2011 for playing java game, where 64 bit version would give better fps than normal firefox did

Nowadays its just a firefox fork, inpedence since april and only god knows what will future bring
I think its in interesting development stage at the moment since there is mobile browser versions comin and much stuff happening recently

Currently its okay secondary browser to use, but you have to be geek to understand more of its privacy and security features and be looking at their reddit / blog / new version release logs to understand whats hiding inside of waterfox

Im currently using it as secondary browser and the secure SNI is bugged out, sites hang and browser dont work, but i have hopes for future
Is it still based on Firefox ESR or based on stable version now?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I really like firefox as a back-up. It does take up all the bandwith so I can't really say download on itunes and have FF open on a page but I like it as a back-up browser, for sure.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
+1

Judging by the comments left in the Brave updates thread, anything relating to Blockchain, Web3 and Crypto is a scam. Or it regards comments made by their CEO on social media.
I wouldn't call it scam. Scams usually try to cram a fictitious product down your throat (quote from > Brave being a cryptocurrency scam should be enough to enough to turn people aw... | Hacker News). I think bloat is a better word. It's not so easy to find a common browser without bloat (think of MS Edge). Perhaps LibreWolf comes closest to it.

PS: English is not my native language. But I associate the word scam with something criminal.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
shady company Brave , I would go with Firefox,
brave is open source , i dislike crypto but you can opt it out so its not shady company at all

Ahh, that's nice to see considering Waterfox is more performance oriented.
Im late but i guess chromium extensions work on waterfox too , wich is one of the features

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Now I use Edge as my main browser, but I want to instal a second browser as backup. (Just in case.)
As your primary is Chromium-based, and you want a secondary Privacy browser. I suggest Firefox (or a supported FF-based) browser. It's more private than Edge and isn't Chromium-based, as a "Backup" browser.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
As your primary is Chromium-based, and you want a secondary Privacy browser. I suggest Firefox (or a supported FF-based) browser. It's more private than Edge and isn't Chromium-based, as a "Backup" browser.

Yeah, I think I will have a look at Waterfox for a while, see how it differs from Firefox. If I like it, I will use that one.

Reactions: Moonhorse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.