Breaking AV Software

D

Deleted member 178

very interesting, even if it sounds like an April Fools, anyway i want to see what a naked system's user will do against a ransomware? reformat? :rolleyes:

as an old sage said "rather resist the storm with a small hole in my raincoat than goes naked"

P.S: now you know why UAC is crucial

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
P.S: now you know why UAC is crucial
rn462au19l.gif

D

Deleted member 178

in fact, i can easily run my system without any 3rd party AVs, just using a guest account, Windows8 built-in security; but WHERE IS THE FUN !!!! :D

Reactions: Petrovic

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Wow... thanks!
I want to know the vulnerability of Kaspersky products.

Edit: I already found in the pdf that Kaspersky has exploitable items too.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Vulnerability search should be performed on a regular basis.
They must test their av engines againsts exploits just like what Google is doing for chrome.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Increased surface area of attack, if security products install Toolbars and Browser extensions. Agree or Disagree?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
It would be interesting to know which av products were found to have less holes andbugs.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Sandboxie too has been found to be vulnerable. The report was published by Bromium (which has a security product).

I read about that on wilders...

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Tiranium has no vulnerability :D :likeaboss:

The most secure is comodo with the HIPS alerts every 2 minutes :p

Reactions: Koroke San

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Tiranium has no vulnerability :D :likeaboss:

The most secure is comodo with the HIPS alerts every 2 minutes :p
But even Comodo was among the tested products that have been found to be vulnerable. :D

D

Deleted member 178

Umbra Total Security 2015 (Sauron Edition)

One solution to rulz them all

:D

Reactions: XhenEd

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
From what I understand, an AV that installs deeply in the system reduces security of youe system. Most products have bugs, holes etc, so it's good not to gain "deep" priviledges to provide protection.
So, which products are less intrusive?

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
From what I understand, an AV that installs deeply in the system reduces security of youe system. Most products have bugs, holes etc, so it's good not to gain "deep" priviledges to provide protection.
Windows Defender+UAC+SmartScreen+Windows Firewall :) (win 8&8.1)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The best paid protection:
Kaspersky ,F-secure,Eset;)

PS:Windoows defender is crap!!
If you want free go Avast!

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The best paid protection:
Kaspersky ,F-secure,Eset;)

PS:Windoows defender is crap!!
If you want free go Avast!
Kaspersky is said to be a "legit rootkit" and it installs deeply in the system as I know.
And from what I read in the pdf " If your application runs with the highest privileges, installs kernel drivers, a packet filter and tries to handle anything your computer may do...  Your attack surface dramatically increased.",
Kaspersky does not seem a very good solution.
Fsecure uses BitDefender engine which seems vulnerable.

What made you come to this conclusion? I may be wrong, that's why I 'm asking you :)

A year ago I was probably infected by some kind of malware as I was testing keys (just for fun-I don't use AV's illegally) for ESS7 found on a serials site. (it was distributing malware for some time as reported in URL scanning sites) ESS6 suddenly dissapeared from system tray and it could not run. I had Webroot secureanywhere running too. WR did not shut down, and although it did not detect the malware either, it was up and running.
Many system tools like regedit, services etc, were also disabled, and I enabled them via WR GUI.
That may be a simple incident that shows what reduced attack surface means.

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Kaspersky is said to be a "legit rootkit" and it installs deeply in the system as I know.
And from what I read in the pdf " If your application runs with the highest privileges, installs kernel drivers, a packet filter and tries to handle anything your computer may do...  Your attack surface dramatically increased.",
Kaspersky does not seem a very good solution.
Fsecure uses BitDefender engine which seems vulnerable.

What made you come to this conclusion? I may be wrong, that's why I 'm asking you :)
Just my personal experience in testing these products for a very long time;)
F-Secure uses the BD engine but it is a multi-engined av solution with it's own in-house modules included!
PS:It's very late here in Sydney and I am too tired to elaborate further!
Maybe tommorrow;)

Thanks!:)

Reactions: Nikos751

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.