Breaking AV Software

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Just my personal experience in testing these products for a very long time;)
F-Secure uses the BD engine but it is a multi-engined av solution with it's own in-house modules included!
PS:It's very late here in Sydney and I am too tired to elaborate further!
Maybe tommorrow;)

Thanks!:)
I should have had that in mind ;) Goodnight! Check again my post tommorow if you 'd like, as I 've edited it a moment ago.

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So why are you not convinced by Windows 8 security?

D

Deleted member 178

Did you read about my last years malware experience? ;)
It was my real system.

Did you read about my last years malware experience?

sure you not because i don't had, security softs are just my second defense line:D

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Did you read about my last years malware experience?

sure you not because i don't had, security softs are just my second defense line:D
I don't get what you say, could you write it more clearly?
That was before I become a member here and got educated on PC security.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
So this guy could easily find those exploits in so many products like anything based on Bitdefender and especially BD itself, Avast, AVG, Avira, Clam, Comodo, DrWeb, eScan, ESET, F-Prot, F-Secure, Panda, and more, but not on Vipre, Norman, Cyren or Agnitum-based products, and also I saw no mention of Norton or McAfee. Interesting.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Jaspion There was a report posted about a year ago, which I cannot find. But it did mention how, with McAfee installed the surface area of attack was increased. Is anyone can find it on the WWW, that'd be great! :D

@Nikos751 and some things never change. :p

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
So this guy could easily find those exploits in so many products like anything based on Bitdefender and especially BD itself, Avast, AVG, Avira, Clam, Comodo, DrWeb, eScan, ESET, F-Prot, F-Secure, Panda, and more, but not on Vipre, Norman, Cyren or Agnitum-based products, and also I saw no mention of Norton or McAfee. Interesting.
I think he did not publish the whole list. Kaspersky for example was not on the vulnarable list, but you can see it being referred for not having aslr in all libraries.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
@Jaspion There was a report posted about a year ago, which I cannot find. But it did mention how, with McAfee installed the surface area of attack was increased. Is anyone can find it on the WWW, that'd be great! :D

@Nikos751 and some things never change. :p
Thanks. I can se it is probably a case of which products are harder to beat, but there's nothing unbeatable. Still, knowing who's the thoughest is good.

I think he did not publish the whole list. Kaspersky for example was not on the vulnarable list, but you can see it being referred for not having aslr in all libraries.
Can someone explain to me this ASLR thing, please?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
@Jaspion Address space layout randomization (ASLR) is a computer security technique involved in protection from buffer overflow attacks. In order to prevent an attacker from reliably jumping to a particular exploited function in memory (for example), ASLR involves randomly arranging the positions of key data areas of a program, including the base of the executable and the positions of the stack, heap, and libraries, in a process'saddress space.
Thanks! That sounds like it should be on any serious security product.

D

Deleted member 178

I don't get what you say, could you write it more clearly?
That was before I become a member here and got educated on PC security.

Just kidding you, i Meant i was never infected while using any kind of AVs (even if reputed strong or weak)

So the users habits primes over any softs

Reactions: Nikos751

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Just kidding you, i Meant i was never infected while using any kind of AVs (even if reputed strong or weak)

So the users habits primes over any softs
Definitely. The best way to avoid losing a fight is to avoid the fight itself.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi Nikos!
Kaspersky is one of the few products to have a very good exploit prevention technology embedded in it!
ASLR is used heavily by Kaspersky!But Kaspersky also has it's own unique technology in preventing exploits very efficiently!

Take a look at this technical article:
https://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792303/Filling_a_BlackHole
"The Automatic Exploit Prevention engine relies heavily on Address Space Layout Randomization, or ASLR. Many malware packages rely on finding vulnerable data at specific memory addresses where such data is customarily stored. ASLR randomly shifts such data around in RAM, thwarting malware’s attempt to find it. Kasperky claims that Automatic Exploit Prevention blocked the BlackHole exploit pack 100 percent of the time. That kit drives 95 percent of phishing exploits, according to company. Kasperky is the first security firm to include ASLR in its products for Windows 7. It’s already in iOS, Android, and will be included in Windows 8."

Regards:)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.