Last updated
Dec 15, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
f-secure paid, voodooshield paid, syshardener, comodo firewall.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
zemana. virus total uploader.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
firefox.
bitdefender traffic light, ublock origin. virus total link checker. https everywhere, decentraleyes, canvasblocker, netcraft.
Maintenance tools
revo uninstaller. hard disk sentinel, patchmypc, unchecky, vlc player for privacy,
File and Photo backup
aomei backupper. windows backup on an external HARD drive.
System recovery
aomei backup. windows backup.
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/bries-specs.83693/

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If Chrome is your primary browser you can live safely and happily with something like this:

Cookie Autodelete
Malwarebytes beta
HTTPS Everywhere
Privacy Possum - Based on Privacy Badger but much more powerful.
Decentraleyes

Nano Adblocker - based on uBO but better default configuration. If you watch The Hated One's YouTube video tutorial it is a funny and clear guide on how to use it. Advanced User Mode - Medium is the best balance of ease and power. Recommended by THO and uBO's developer as the preferred user mode. I use it to block 3rd party scripts & frames. It will break some sites depending on how you surf, but if you have sites you visit regularly you will quickly see the result. If a site breaks you can try to unbreak it, but if short on time you can revert to default Easy User Mode. I am a witness: if you spend a bit of time learning to use uBO or Nano Defender this way you will never go back except when a site is very stubborn to break. I have one such site and thus I have added Steven Black's Host, SquidBlack's Malicious and 1Host filters. This will give you close to same protection as Medium Mode. I am no geek and this is a very effective setup with just a little learning curve. (You may also use uBO with this setup and user mode).

These 6 extensions will give you loads of protection and a reasonable amount of privacy unless you are really paranoid. I use FF with above setup + Temp Containers. Edge with only Nano Adblocker and IP. I hope this is food for thought.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
No... in fact Your current resident protection is an overkill: bitdefender TS, syshardener, k9 web filter, appcheck...

You don't need AppCheck with BD TS and specially if You also applied SysHardened tweaks...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Even AppCheck isn't infallible against CS's samples :) on the other hand would be quite enough with SysHardened (default) mitigations... also BD TS anti-rw module is not the only protection module that protects You against rw...

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i turned on windows updates.

i previously turned them off to avoid messing up my PC from a bad update, which some times happens. is there a place where i can pick and choose which windows updates that i install?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.