Question Browser and Ad Blocker on Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Does Firefox on Android support uBlock Origin?
Does AdGuard Premium on Android filter ads in apps with DNS filtering only? If so, wouldn't using a DNS (providing ad blocking) in "Private DNS" offer ad filtering in apps similar to AdGuard?

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For blocking ads inside of apps I think you need either adguard premium/blokada or an ad filtering dns server. Adguard has a 7 day trial and is always cheap for lifetime licenses on stacksocial.com You can also add filter lists to adguard (android) so it isn't only filtering via DNS.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
TrackerBlocker is free and open source, which acts as a firewall for Android. It is capable of blocking Ad and Tracker domains used for analytics and serving Ads. It requires time and expert knowledge to configure. If incorrectly set-up it can crash apps, prevent it from functioning or even force reboot the phone. As it's not compatible with Private DNS (an Android OS setting), some may want to avoid it.

Use Adguard Premium if you want an easy to use app.

Last edited:

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I read AdGuard help files, and it seems AdGuard Premium blocks ads in apps on Windows and Android but blocks ads in apps on iPad with DNS filtering only. I'm trying AdGuard Premium on the iPad 16 and Android 7 Phone, and it works well on the iPad, but it doesn't automatically start sometimes when rebooting on Android. AdGuard is set to auto-start with no restrictions under the battery section. Android 7 is a Redmi phone. Any help on this? I'll also install AdGuard Premium on two Android 13 Redmi phones soon and check for the AP auto-start problem.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
[...] it doesn't automatically start sometimes when rebooting on Android. AdGuard is set to auto-start with no restrictions under the battery section. Android 7 is a Redmi phone.
If it's not a common occurrence, manually run the app after start-up. How often are you restarting your device?

On a side note, whilst AdGuard supports Android 7.0+, it has reached end of life.

Any help on this? I'll also install AdGuard Premium on two Android 13 Redmi phones soon and check for the AP auto-start problem.
Keep us informed.

Reactions: rashmi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
If it's not a common occurrence, manually run the app after start-up. How often are you restarting your device?

On a side note, whilst AdGuard supports Android 7.0+, it has reached end of life.

Keep us informed.
My phone is damaged, so I'm testing AdGuard on my old phone. This old phone has problems too, which could be the reason for the problem. I'm testing how well it works, notifications I can safely hide, etc., as I will install it on my parents' phones. They shut down their phones at night. I'll post if I had the AdGuard auto-start issue on Android 13 Redmi phones.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
  • Thanks
Reactions: rashmi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My phone is damaged, so I'm testing AdGuard on my old phone. This old phone has problems too, which could be the reason for the problem. I'm testing how well it works, notifications I can safely hide, etc., as I will install it on my parents' phones. They shut down their phones at night. I'll post if I had the AdGuard auto-start issue on Android 13 Redmi phones.
Hiding the persistent notification may prevent Adguard from running in the background. Phone manufacturers are known to use aggressive power saving and other tactics to claim higher battery life.

Xiaomi is rated #2 worst for Killing Apps.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Keep us informed.
Hiding the persistent notification may prevent Adguard from running in the background. Phone manufacturers are known to use aggressive power saving and other tactics to claim higher battery life.

Xiaomi is rated #2 worst for Killing Apps.
I tried AdGuard on an Android 13 Realme phone, and most of the time AdGuard didn't start when I rebooted the phone. I confirmed AdGuard set to auto-start. battery usage set to unrestricted, super power saving mode set to off, power saver set to off, back light saving set to off, permissions and notifications allowed, and any settings I thought would help. The only thing I couldn't get was "recent apps" locking. I tried holding tap and every direction swipe, but AdGuard maximized instead of displaying the lock option. I tried the solutions in the AdGuard help posted by @Arequire above, but none helped fix the problem.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Yes, Firefox on Android supports uBlock Origin. You can head to the Firefox extension page of uBlock Origin and install it there.
Thank you. My parents find it tough to use a smartphone. My dad only watches a few channels sometimes on YouTube. I installed Firefox with uBlock Origin and created a shortcut to m.youtube.com on the home screen. It's like the YouTube app, but with no ads.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.