Advice Request Browsing Protection by F-Secure blocked by Firefox

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Today, Firefox blocks the F-Secure Addon Browsing Protection :(

Reasons are issues with stability and security
1647607865740.png

1647607969737.png

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Today, Firefox blocks the F-Secure Addon Browsing Protection :(

Reasons are issues with stability and security
Confirmed, and it's because of updated demands from Firefox on extensions and addons this now happened.

I just ended a phone call with F-Secure, and they are at least on the case so to speak, but sadly could not right here and now give any ETA on a solution. It's more then likely will be pushed out as a upcoming update. For now if possible, use another one of the supported browsers. Edge, Chrome, Safari.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Confirmed, and it's because of updated demands from Firefox on extensions and addons this now happened.

I just ended a phone call with F-Secure, and they are at least on the case so to speak, but sadly could not right here and now give any ETA on a solution. It's more then likely will be pushed out as a upcoming update. For now if possible, use another one of the supported browsers. Edge, Chrome, Safari.
What about Brave, is it not a good one?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Confirmed also on my Firefox, looks like we have to wait for a fix... in the meantime, I'm using Edge on my machine with F-Secure.

AFAIK, Brave may is not supported by F-Secure. As already mentioned by @upnorth, on Windows recommended browsers are only: Chrome, Edge, Firefox.
That's common even for other AVs like Kaspersky, all features works best with supported browsers...

Koniferski

Mar 18, 2022
Same here in Switzerland, Swisscom Security uses it.
There was a connection to Kasperski????

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Confirmed also on my Firefox, looks like we have to wait for a fix... in the meantime, I'm using Edge on my machine with F-Secure.

AFAIK, Brave may is not supported by F-Secure. As already mentioned by @upnorth, on Windows recommended browsers are only: Chrome, Edge, Firefox.
That's common even for other AVs like Kaspersky, all features works best with supported browsers...
Brave works here with f-secure safe.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Same issue here. Back to Edge for banking sites. I am going to use some other security extension for Firefox. I hope they can fixed it fast. I know that Trend Micro had a similar issue with the Firefox extension.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
March 18

Hi
We are aware of this issue on the Windows version of our consumer and corporate EPP products.
We are currently working with Mozilla to solve this issue. Meanwhile, we recommend that you use either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser until the issue has been fixed.
We already published a KB article about this issue and you can read more here Browsing Protection extension is currently not available for Mozilla Firefox - F-Secure Community
You can subscribe to our Status page to get notified on incident reports and when they get resolved.
F-Secure services Status
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Can only guess as F-Secure also don't officially support even Opera.

Btw, your question made me recall that Opera had/have an extension in their app store that I tested around 6 months ago specific for F-Secure and it's browser extension. When I started to search for it, I went very happy to find out that Opera again now natively support all Chrome extensions. Without any flag edits. Was simply a matter of open the correct site and page, and *Boom!*. Installed and works flawless in Opera. The Banking feature kicks in as it should. 🧘‍♂️

But this " workaround " in Opera is not officially supported by F-Secure.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Personal I would wish for some actual predicted ETA ( estimated time of arrival ), then now nothing. I fully understand the demands/rules from Firefox/Mozilla is hard or might feel even harsh for F-Secures developers, but almost complain and try to point fingers about it in public, is not helping at all. Better option would either be just fix the problem, or completely dump/stop using Firefox as one of the supported browsers. It does after all exist other browsers on the market.

But it seems a solution on this is just around the corner, and I think I saw some note in another thread on their forum that mentioned 1 or 2 weeks away. Hope so.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Issue may fixed now? I can using again F-Secure Browsing Protection for banking on Firefox. May anyone confirm?

Firefox released new versions update but that may just randomly...
Yep it works again. I had to update the extension to get it to work. It popped a new full screen privacy warning in the browser. It seems that maybe functionality of the extension has been changed. It now only sends the URL to the F-Secure app to query their cloud reputation system, not sure if it had more function before.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.