Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
Jack said:...
Well I ran HitManPro and got a Master Boot sector, and 2 trojans that were removed. All the tracking cookies were deleted except doubleclick.net. Is that an issue?
TDSSKiller only found unsigned files & a TDSS file system and all were labeled as medium risk and "skipped".
OTL didn't seem to find any problems.
When I booted normally, McAfee warned me that I was at risk because security options were off. I turned security on and it downloaded some updates and I rebooted after that.
The machine has been stable for over an hour. I'm cautiously saying, HURRAY!!, my machine is cured.
I've attached the files you wanted. I added a .txt to HitManPro's log file because the thread attachment didn't like .log.
But I do have some questions,
1) Does the virus that I had have a name & was I multiply infected? Is it a particularly virulent virus?
2) Does the virus have a common method of infection? I'm a big space/astronomy nut and do a lot Internet searching on those topics. I didn't think that was a risky behavior.
3) If McAfee didn't detect the infection, is it worthwhile to keep running it? I get it for free from AT&T because I'm a Uverse customer.
4) What software would you recommend I use going forward from this point? I'll hold my web browsing until I get your response.
5) There is a couple of loose-end issues. If I'm using a boot sector with only /fastdetect and not the extra parameters of /noexecute=optin and /use pmtimer, is that an issue? Also my machine lists 2 OS's now the original MS Windows Media Edition and the MS Windows Media Edition2 that I created. Is there a way to get back to a single entry that would skip the prompt?
I can't thank you enough for recommending the steps and guiding be through the fixes. Your instructions were always extremely clear. It's been a long week of using the machine only in "safe" mode and I wasn't optimistic that the machine could be recovered without wiping out the entire hard drive. I'm definitely a big fan of you and Malware Tips. Thanks again.
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes