Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: BSOD's config

Suggestions:
- Remove SpywareBlaster (old technology)
- Remove SuperAntiSpyware (out-performed by it's competitors)

- Add HitmanPro (for scanning only)

Woo another Microsoft Security Essentials and Search Everything user. :)

Welcome to the Forums! :D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Earth said:
Suggestions:
- Remove SpywareBlaster (old technology)
- Remove SuperAntiSpyware (out-performed by it's competitors)

- Add HitmanPro (for scanning only)

Welcome to the Forums! :D

Hello, it is an interesting forum over here. :)

Thanks, I will uninstall those two, I never really used them anyway!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

Somethings you could add to both Chrome and Firefox are, Lastpass, WOT, Ghostery. :)

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

McLovin said:
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

Somethings you could add to both Chrome and Firefox are, Lastpass, WOT, Ghostery. :)

Hello, thank you. :)

About WOT and Ghostery, I am using http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/, are those two better than Traffic Light? And if yes, do you recommend that I use both?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

BSOD said:

About WOT and Ghostery, I am using http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/, are those two better than Traffic Light? And if yes, do you recommend that I use both?

Ghostery I would recommend. It blocks all third party's on any site your on, as for WOT well if you alread have Traffic Light you might not need it, but you should be able to run both.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

McLovin said:
BSOD said:

Ghostery I would recommend. It blocks all third party's on any site your on, as for WOT well if you alread have Traffic Light you might not need it, but you should be able to run both.

Alrighty, thanks McLovin.

P.S. Superbad is awesome. Love the name.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Earth said:

Yup, I love how little footprint is there. It's like there is nothing installed at all. :)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Operating System: Good

Real-time protection: Alright, there is some problems here.
Microsoft Security Essentials in known to have terrible detections and lack of prevention features. I highly Recommend that you change to other solution like Avast.

On-demand scanners: Good

Web Browser: Good

Addons: Good

Web Protection: Good

Utility: Good

Other than Realtime, You're good to go!

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

For browser extension for chrome, Firefox, and Internet explorer then I would recommend WOT.

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo Firewall.

And for extra protection with MSE then I would recommend Kingsoft Antivirus 2012.

If you don't want to pay for hitman pro to remove malware then use Emsisoft Anti-Malware (or Emergency Kit) for another on-demand scanner.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I'm going to have to counter your recommendations.

What does MSE lack, compared to an average AV with prevention features?

3link9 said:
Microsoft Security Essentials in known to have terrible detections and lack of prevention features.

Why recommend a Comodo Firewall, when Windows 7 Firewall is enough for most users, as well as being silent (as pointed out below for Security Essentials): BSOD: "Yup, I love how little footprint is there. It's like there is nothing installed at all."

Of course if BSOD is looking for more control, a pure firewall would be better as stated above, less noise.

Malware Maniac said:
For a firewall I would recommend Comodo Firewall.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

BSOD, you have a nice simple setup. If it is working for you, then don't change a thing.

Microsoft Security Essential with Windows Firewall is enough protection for most users. Just watch what you download and install and you should be safe. Might consider to add WOT extension to Google Chrome.

How often do you get infections?

Good day.:D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Littlebits said:
BSOD, you have a nice simple setup. If it is working for you, then don't change a thing.

Microsoft Security Essential with Windows Firewall is enough protection for most users. Just watch what you download and install and you should be safe. Might consider to add WOT extension to Google Chrome.

How often do you get infections?

Hello. :)

I haven't gotten an infection in a long, long time, at least since I have upgraded to Windows 7. I did add WOT after the users above recommended it.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

I am thinking of installing PC Tools ThreatFire or Emsisoft Mamutu. Anybody else got them and/or have opinions about these?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

BSOD said:
I am thinking of installing PC Tools ThreatFire or Emsisoft Mamutu. Anybody else got them and/or have opinions about these?

I'm a big fan of Mamutu, My favorite BB. Highly Recommend it ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

BSOD said:

Both are nice programs, but I prefer WinPatrol which is free and doesn't ever cause any issues with other programs or the system.

I have had problems with Threatfire before and PC Tools no longer keeps it updated. Mamutu is not freeware, might want to use the full trial period before buying it. Some users love Mamutu while others don't really care for it.

Since you don't get infections, I believe your current setup is enough.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

3link9 said:
BSOD said:

Littlebits said:
BSOD said:

Both are nice programs, but I prefer WinPatrol which is free and doesn't ever cause any issues with other programs or the system.

I have had problems with Threatfire before and PC Tools no longer keeps it updated. Mamutu is not freeware, might want to use the full trial period before buying it. Some users love Mamutu while others don't really care for it.

Ah, I shall give it a try sometime during the month. I have read a couple of configurations here and my config feels almost naked compared to a lot of them. With no offence directed towards anyone, I think a lot of people are overdoing it or are paranoid or I haven't secured my PC enough.

@Littlebits, do you have a post with your configuration around here somewhere? :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

BSOD said:
3link9 said:
BSOD said:

Littlebits said:
BSOD said:

Ah, I shall give it a try sometime during the month. I have read a couple of configurations here and my config feels almost naked compared to a lot of them. With no offence directed towards anyone, I think a lot of people are overdoing it or are paranoid or I haven't secured my PC enough.

@Littlebits, do you have a post with your configuration around here somewhere? :)

Yes my config is here.

And yes I do agree there are a lot of paranoid members, don't try to compare to their config, it is what works best for you.

Thanks.:D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Littlebits said:
Yes my config is here.

And yes I do agree there are a lot of paranoid members, don't try to compare to their config, it is what works best for you.

Thanks.:D

I just installed WinPatrol Free. Read a couple of positive reviews and thought I'd give it a go.

EDIT: Added Mozilla Thunderbird.

D

Deleted member 178

3link9 said:

it is my favorite BB too, it is why EAM (full version) was always in my config, now that they add BD engine, it becomes my main AV, overthrowing CIS.

BSOD said:

What you should know, is that some of us (the paranoids :D ) like to test security apps vs malwares, goes to risky sites, etc...
Personally, i like testing compatibility between security apps to making the best layered config possible.

But what i do on my system is not what i will do to my friends or customers computer, i set for them the most simple and silent config possible ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.