Troubleshoot Buggy and unresponsive Task Manager (Windows 10 20H2)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Task Manager buggy and unresponsive
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
1. Reboot system

2. Fix Windows with an image

3. SFC scan and RestoreHealth

4. Literally clean install Windows 20H2
Hi, ever since updating to 20H2 task manager is behaving horribly.

I can't kill processes like I used to do with TM. Clicking end task or del just doesnt nothing. Also, if I go to the DETAILS tab where each exact process is, it's just blank.

1604796277348.png

Also, when I want to close the Task Manager, it won't. Instead, it freezes until you find a way to force close it.

What I've tried to fix it:

1. Reboot system

After clean installing and seeing the problem again I had to assume it was a build issue, so I guess my two main questions are: anybody with this issue in this build? And also what the heck can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

I can't kill processes like I used to do with TM. Clicking end task or del just doesnt nothing. Also, if I go to the DETAILS tab where each exact process is, it's just blank.

View attachment 248594

Also, when I want to close the Task Manager, it won't. Instead, it freezes until you find a way to force close it.

1. Reboot system

After clean installing and seeing the problem again I had to assume it was a build issue, so I guess my two main questions are: anybody with this issue in this build? And also what the heck can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Do you use a registry cleaning tool? Sometimes they clean more than they should...

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Working fine here with MS Defender + VS. What AV are u using after clean install?
When it happens? Like when some other program goes unresponsive or just by starting TM?

Reactions: RoboMan and Cortex
Upvote 1

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows TM is Modern UI app, so if you have disabled store and such, it might have affected it.
so I guess my two main questions are: anybody with this issue in this build? And also what the heck can I do to fix it?
So my 2 questions would be?

1. Where did you download it from?

Does the hash verifies, if you have downloaded ISO.

2. What build exactly, version number?

To check version, you can mount ISO with Windows Explorer and use command WIM or ESD, depending on, which version you have:
Code:
DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1
DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.esd /index:1
capture_11082020_154914.jpg

Sometimes third party software might be useful and better than built-in tools of Microsoft.
Even people at MS do not use Windows TM, they use Process Manager as seen on their presentations.
Not to mention, that 3rd party TM can run and end most processes without admin rights, very convenient.

Upvote 1
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Even people at MS do not use Windows TM, they use Process Manager as seen on their presentations.
Not to mention, that 3rd party TM can run and end most processes without admin rights, very convenient.
You mean Process Explorer?

Also i don't think this is the reason but they use it instead of internal TM because of more details which they need at presentation etc.
Process Explorer also works by default without admin rights, but if you want stop processes higher then user privileges, PE need admin rights too.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you all. To clarify some questions:

1. Clean install was done with a brand new ISO, using Windows Media Creation Tool to avoid security problems.
2. The problem begins immediately after installing updates from Windows Update module
3. No antivirus present rather than Microsoft Defender

As sad as it sounds, there may be nothing to do. The fact the build works great with you means nothing. It may be a hardware incompatibility with something in this OS build that's ruining my experience. Hopefully, in the future, it will get noticed. I already sent a ticket to Microsoft.

In the meantime, and to avoid further trouble, I re-installed my copy of Windows 10 LTSC 1809, which may be a bit behind in season updates but it's still updated with security patches. This version for enterprises always worked fine with me, without Store, OneDrive, and bloatware. Needless to say, Task Manager issue is gone with this install.

1604873926925.png

Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Thank you all. To clarify some questions:

1. Clean install was done with a brand new ISO, using Windows Media Creation Tool to avoid security problems.
2. The problem begins immediately after installing updates from Windows Update module
3. No antivirus present rather than Microsoft Defender

As sad as it sounds, there may be nothing to do. The fact the build works great with you means nothing. It may be a hardware incompatibility with something in this OS build that's ruining my experience. Hopefully, in the future, it will get noticed. I already sent a ticket to Microsoft.

In the meantime, and to avoid further trouble, I re-installed my copy of Windows 10 LTSC 1809, which may be a bit behind in season updates but it's still updated with security patches. This version for enterprises always worked fine with me, without Store, OneDrive, and bloatware. Needless to say, Task Manager issue is gone with this install.

View attachment 248658

Thank you all for your help.

Probably a hardware incompatibility, most likely some drivers of your hardware.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So, the problem is back. Apparently, it wasn't the Windows build. It's happening again in Windows 10 1809 LTSC. Fresh install didn't fix it.

So I started the investigation once again, using Event Viewer. I checked out task manager freeze generated an Application Error, But what was the cause? I checked for warnings or errors below the task manager freeze and I found a software I'm using for runes in League of Legends, called Blitz. The error was created by blitz.exe and a dll in communication with a Windows core module in System32. I decided to uninstall Blitz, but the problem persisted.

I suspected Hard_Configurator settings, but uninstalling H_C didn't help either. This is still happening.

All that's left to try is SysHardener settings and ThrottleStop undervolt, which never gave me any issues before.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
1809 is quite an old build, I had Settings and Start exe crashing back then, they had some dependencies.
Since Task Manager is Metro UI app now, maybe it was fixed, as MS separated those problematic apps.

I suspected Hard_Configurator settings, but uninstalling H_C didn't help either. This is still happening.
When I tried it out, restoring default settings did not help, I had to restore Windows from an image.

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

View attachment 248594

1. Reboot system

Thanks.
I use Process Hacker myself. NOT the older version, but the nightly builds.. Downloads - Process Hacker

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I had a problem with the update then went back to my previous image and redid the update.

Not sure why it gave me issues at first.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.