Battle Can Emsisoft Internet Security Give You Full Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
ESET has been called buggy many times, but Emsisoft is superior at issues with the GUI and updates. ESET has less issues and runs smoother than Emsisoft. ESET gives you the chance of an easy install and forget, plus great protection. ESET is amazing vs opencandy and regular PuP. But no suite will protect you 100%, sorry.
PD: My vote is for ESET.
PD2: If you want to take advantage of Emsisoft you gotta deal with a bunch of pop's up and additional interactions.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
To answer your question : Nothing can give you "full protection" ;)

And between those 2, both are very good products, and in my opinion, next to Kaspersky, the best protection suites you can get nowadays.
ESET is lighter and better in detection of PUP, Emsisoft has better zero-day protection, and behavior detection components.

D

Deleted member 21043

Both products (ESS and EIS) are great.

In my opinion, ESET has better signatures (they tend to have a better signature based detection rate than Emsisoft), however, Emsisoft have the Behaviour Blocker for zero day. The Behaviour Blocker in Emsisoft is amazing; if you look on the Settings or ask someone who currently uses Emsisoft, they can list the options on the Behaviour Blocker settings. The amount of options available in the BB/HIPS module and what it can protect you is great. It performs very well, anyone who has used EAM/EIS will tell you this (if they are thinking in the right mind).

However, without this being said, ESET once again, have better signatures. This helps detect threats before they are executed, also preventing infections. The heuristic detection has been made very well.

You will be safe with either products; take your pick - do you want to have the better signatures and great PUP detection (ESET) or do you want to have a more advanced and better behaviour blocker but not-as-good signatures (Emsisoft). It's really up to you, just remember that both are great products and they are both very good at protecting the user.

Thanks. ;)

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i think this is taking us to the war zone . Which is better? anyone can chose for themselves depending on what you are expecting from the tools . i really would accept EAM being a little too much heavy for my tastes but that is not a real issue nowadays as the new computers come with plenty of ram and even buying ram is not that expensive.
which has better cleaning and finding malware and virus capabilities ? I would even consider tools and even support from a real person although this is not something too important as it really the incidence must not be very frequent. Thus speaking i would say EIS has better firewall and better protection from intrusion . Eset is light i know and i used it in the past it was great but once it got into trouble it was really hard to fix the problem . I am not a technician and so is everyone at least the average user so not everyone has the capabilities to fix errors caused by a software which is meant to keep you safe from them. I really do not understand why the Emsi did not include parental control or something of the likes to protect children and families. This is the main reason i do not use EMSI.I have kids at home and i do not trust them or anyone out there .

i would go with emsisoft anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Emsisoft Internet Security can give as much as possible since it bundled with good firewall capabilities; but still even how strong their components then it cannot reach the perfect stage.

Meanwhile in ESET, even though one of having fastest on detection response for zero day malware/viruses, it can be a bit drawback when bypass as other component like HIPS is design for experience users to toggled it. ;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
i really would accept EAM being a little too much heavy for my tastes but that is not a real issue nowadays as the new computers come with plenty of ram and even buying ram is not that expensive.
not always that simple. sometimes the motherbord doesnt support.

Reactions: peymi

peymi

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks all,
what about the Behaviour Blocker in ESET?
I think ESET Version 8 is the first version which has a Behaviour Blocker right? so it must be amatuer in this option?

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Thanks all,
what about the Behaviour Blocker in ESET?
I think ESET Version 8 is the first version which has a Behaviour Blocker right? so it must be amatuer in this option?

It does not have behavior mechanism, it has a HIPS which you can use as you want, default, smart mode, custom. You should first study your own surfing skills, and check how many times you have been infected in the past 3 years. Behavior protection, HIPS, all these mechanism are useful for people who knows how to take advantage of them, regular people may get angry or even lose productivity at the computer while dealing with these technologies.

Reactions: donetao and peymi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@peymi : They did not implement behavior feature, instead HIPS at default will do minimal user interaction and handles by experience users. Actually detections perform by ESET perform very good which deals on many process from heuristics / DNA type method so sometimes HIPS style may not be use all the time. ;)

Reactions: peymi
H

hjlbx

Hello Peymi,

Here's my experience testing EIS 9 Behavior Blocker...

I disabled all protection modules - Surf, File, Firewall and Community Based Alert Reduction (Anti-Malware Network Cloud Lookup, and did not enable Paranoid Mode). This left only the Behavior Blocker active.

Then I went to newly reported malicious URLs and proceeded to download.

I discovered Behavior Blocker is solid, respectable performance.

Emsisoft is much more simple to learn, use and maintain.

hjlbx

Reactions: Xtwillight and Sasa

Sasa

Level 2
Verified
Sep 1, 2014
Hello Peymi,

Here's my experience testing EIS 9 Behavior Blocker...

I disabled all protection modules - Surf, File, Firewall and Community Based Alert Reduction (Anti-Malware Network Cloud Lookup, and did not enable Paranoid Mode). This left only the Behavior Blocker active.

Then I went to newly reported malicious URLs and proceeded to download.

I discovered Behavior Blocker is solid, respectable performance.

Emsisoft is much more simple to learn, use and maintain.

hjlbx

Did it block all of them?

H

hjlbx

Hello Sasa,

It detected and alerted to behaviors such as process attempting to manipulate another process and attempts to download and install invisibly.

Honestly, I did not keep track of any % detection or a "block rate".

Of the samples that would open and run on my W8.1 system, I can tell you that the Behavior Blocker alerted in more than 75 % of cases. Keep in mind that I did not perform any type of systematic testing. It was more or less just tinkering.

When downloading and running files from reported malicious URLs one does not always know what type of file it is and, more importantly, what it will do...if it will do anything at all.

Of the samples that more than a few AV vendors classified as malware the BB alerted 100 %. That I know for sure.

hjlbx

Reactions: Sasa
H

hjlbx

Hello Sasa,

I forgot to mention the most important point...

When I download and run an unknown/untrusted app and the Behavior Blocker alerts I then select the Quarantine option.

EIS allows the option to copy the quarantined file(s) and paste to a location of my choice where I can do further investigation - which is usually upload and scan at VirusTotal.

If the files are not classified as malware by at least 5 AV vendors then I proceed with caution. However, if the 5 AV vendors are made up entirely of the top-tier AV companies, for example ...ESET, Emsi, Kasper, BitD, Avira, Trend... then I just Quarantine and delete unless I think it worthwhile to pursue any further investigation.

With default settings the Behavior Blocker is not automated...it requires the user to make decisions.

If you were to manually super-tweak the Behavior Blocker rules for each individual application, then it would be fully automated...but all that rigmarole is superfluous...

hjlbx

Reactions: jamescv7 and Sasa
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.