Troubleshoot Can too much antivirus software cause buffering?

Butch Marshall

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 5, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Buffering whilst streaming
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Rebooting
I'm suffering from lots of buffering whilst streaming Amazon videos, viewing BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 On Demand. I have good sound but suffer from buffering every 10 seconds.

On this tower PC I'm running Malwarebytes Premium
Avast anti virus
Zemana Antimalware
McShield

My ping is 42ms, DL 6.8Mbps (I know it's slow - I'm in England), UL .9 Mbps

My laptop Windows 8.1does not suffer from buffering even with the above malware on it. So, am I running too many malwares on my old PC?

Tower PC specs are:
OS is Windows 10 pro
AMD Athalon 64 X2 dual core
Gigabyte M57 SLI54 motherboard (I know - at this point your saying my PC is an antique, but it does work)
6Gb Ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
NVidea nForce networking controller
Router Netgear N600 DGND 3700 v2
Flash Player v30.0.0.154

Any advice would be gratefully accepted - many thanks

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Lower the resolution on what you are streaming. The definition of broadband is 25Mbps from what I recall. Anything else is going to cause issues. Also, since stream decoding can be hard on some devices, that old dual core is going to suffer, tremendously.

I'd suggest running a nice lean Linux Distro on that. Then you can ditch the security, and that old box will be more than sufficient for a good Linux Distro. I assume that box isn't used for gaming as it's obviously not capable of that, so Linux would be nice - and some Linux games would even run really good on it.

Upvote 0

I'm suffering from lots of buffering whilst streaming Amazon videos, viewing BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 On Demand. I have good sound but suffer from buffering every 10 seconds.

Avast anti virus
Zemana Antimalware
McShield

My laptop Windows 8.1does not suffer from buffering even with the above malware on it. So, am I running too many malwares on my old PC?

Tower PC specs are:
OS is Windows 10 pro
Gigabyte M57 SLI54 motherboard (I know - at this point your saying my PC is an antique, but it does work)
6Gb Ram
Flash Player v30.0.0.154

It isn't the AVs.

Try different browsers as a troubleshooting step. You have minor network lag. The problem can be anywhere along the line from the streaming server to your ISP - and that is if it is network related. However, you are reporting problems with only 3 specific stream sources. So that in and of itself suggests a very specific problem as opposed to a general one. It could be rendering engine. It could be the browser. The graphics card doesn't make a difference for low-end graphics intensive stuff like web streams.

Upvote 0

Butch Marshall

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 5, 2017
It isn't the AVs.

Try different browsers as a troubleshooting step. You have minor network lag. The problem can be anywhere along the line from the streaming server to your ISP - and that is if it is network related. However, you are reporting problems with only 3 specific stream sources. So that in and of itself suggests a very specific problem as opposed to a general one. It could be rendering engine. It could be the browser. The graphics card doesn't make a difference for low-end graphics intensive stuff like web streams.

Lockdown many thanks for your reply - I've got to get my head down now but will get in touch over the next few days. Many thanks

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I was beginning to think that - which one to keep?
windows 8.1. light and secure on my old laptop.
config.jpg
resources.jpg

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think the network speed is the one that is causing you the buffer times. Unfortunately nothing you can really do to fix that except get faster internet or wait for the video to fully buffer before watching it. There are also some plugins that let you force youtube to download more of a video beforehand so that you don't hit the buffer quite as often when watching the video.

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
That's too many AVs running at once. IMO pick one.

Definitely, even if the other posters have valid points you are bogging down your system with all that security, the Linux suggestion you should consider or Win 7 maximum. If your budget is limited then that's that, your machine is still plenty to compute with comfort, just keep it simple.

Upvote 0

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017

Avast anti virus
Zemana Antimalware
McShield

Tower PC specs are:
OS is Windows 10 pro
6Gb Ram
Flash Player v30.0.0.154

Av's injects their script into web traffic and scan encrypted connections escpecially on https://
That may slow to some extent but as per your config i think av is not the problem for the most part.
Noticeable slow dons do occur for the above reason.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you are streaming from a source that is in a different country and far away, that can cause lags.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
People are missing that he said, he has the same config on another computer, with no streaming issues, so it is has got nothing to do with his internet speed. It may be due to the X2 processor not being very fast and the security software causing more system impact on the desktop, which I presume has much less processing power than his laptop.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.