Cannot remove Seth.Avazutracking.Net from my PC - Please help!

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
I thought that after following the instructions on the blog, and the last two scans reporting no virus or malware could be found, my computer was safe, so I went to do some chores and when I got back on my computer, there were a whole bunch of the same shopping advertisement pop-up windows from Seth.Avazutracking.Net that needed to be closed. This means the virus is still there and now I really don't have a clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE:
I did the OTL and aswMBR scans after the four scans mentioned above,
which are in direct order: Adwcleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitmanpro.

As I was busy with the OTL and aswMBR scans, my computer automatically had to reboot itself to install new updates and configurations. Normally, I get a notice that new updates need to be installed and that my computer will re-start in a few minutes (and then you can also choose to do it now or later), this time I received no warning at all.

If you need any further information, I shall gladly provide it. Also, feel free to PM me at any time regarding this issue. Thank you for reading!

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
RE: Cannot get rid of seth.avazutracking.net on my computer - please help!

Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Kuttus and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:
Please be aware that removing malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.
<hr />

STEP 1: Run a scan with AdwCleaner

<ol><li>Download AdwCleaner from the below link.
<><a href="http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner" target="_blank">ADWCLEANER DOWNLAOD LINK</a></> (This link will automatically download Security Check on your computer)</li>

<li>Close all open programs and internet browsers.</li>
<li>Double click on <>adwcleaner.exe</> to run the tool.</li>
<li>Click on <>Scan</>,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.</li>
<li>After the Scan is Over press on Clean ,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.
</li>
<li>Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.</li>
<li>Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.</li>
<li>You can find the logfile at <>C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt</> as well.</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

STEP 2: Run a scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

<hr/>

Last edited by a moderator:

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
RE: Cannot get rid of seth.avazutracking.net on my computer - please help!

Hi Kuttus,

Thank you for your friendly welcome and your kind assistance in trying to help me, I really appreciate it!

I am aware that getting rid of this type of virus is rather difficult and can be dangerous, if not done correctly.
Luckily, my laptop is not that old and so I don't have a ton of important files that I need to save.
I just finished putting my personal files on my external hard drive, but I never made a back-up for my computer,
because I naïvely though I would not be needing it.

If my operating system needs to be re-formatted and re-installed, do I need to have this back-up?

Windows has it's own back-up wizard, but it doesn't give you any information about the files you need to save
for your back-up. It does give me two options: one, to automatically decide which files will be saved and two,
to choose my own files for back-up. I don't know which files I need, so I'm thinking I can just choose to do it
automatically, unless you suggest otherwise, but I shall await your answer before I do anything.

I just wonder if I'm able to store both my personal files and a back-up on my external hard drive at the same time?
(I apologize if my questions seem tedious, but this is all very new to me. I never had to do any of this and I am not familiar with this.)

After I've finished making a back-up, I will start following your steps and post the results here!

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
RE: Cannot remove Seth.Avazutracking.Net on my computer - Please help!

Hi,

Take a back up of your personal files and settings to a external hard drive.

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

Hello again,

I'm finally making a back-up and storing it to my external hard drive, it might take a while.

I do have another question however, about Step 1: Adwcleaner. I already downloaded Adwcleaner from this blog:
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/seth-avazut...net-virus/, is this the same (version of) Adwcleaner in the link you gave me?

If so, I already did a scan for this, but I forgot to save the txt. file, so I think I will have to do it again,
only which Adwcleaner do I use; the one I already have or the one you posted above?

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

Both of them will be the same......

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

Alright,

I completed the back-up and the scans. I've added the files, as requested.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

In which browser you are having problems now?

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

I only use Mozilla Firefox, so I don't know whether I would get the same problems if I used Internet Explorer, for example.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
RE: Cannot remove Seth.Avazutracking.Net from my computer - Please help!

Check all the browsers and check if you are facing issue in all of them.

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

When I opened Internet Explorer (IE) it told me that the settings of my standard search engine is damaged by a programme,
but it does not mention which programme.

It further states that the settings in IE are reset to the original search engine.

IE is the only other web browser installed on my computer and it's difficult to tell if it has the same problems,
because I haven't had a pop-up for a while in Firefox either, so I'm keeping both browsers open
to see what happens and let you know if I have any further information.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

Please reset your IE.

Steps To Reset Internet Explorer...

1. Please press the Windows key
    k3ap3b.jpg
    and R key on your keyboard together.
  2. Now you will get a Run window. In that run window please type inetcpl.cpl and press on OK.
    j5uy6t.jpg
  3. Now you will get a Internet Options Window.
    2whjp1w.gif
  4. In that Window Press on the Advanced Tab and press on Reset
    a4vn8l.png
  5. Press on Reset Once Again in the Second Window.
    21malc4.png
  6. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
    ao6ipe.png

NOTE : Before you Start Resting Internet Explorer Close all the Open Windows of Internet Explorer ...

<hr />

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

Okay,

I am done resetting IE. What should I do next?

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

Please run Run Autoruns and send me the screenshots of the Tab Scheduled Task, Winlogon and Internet Explorer.

To Take Screen Of Your Screen.
  1. Press PRINT SCREEN (Print Scr) key on Your Keyboard.
  2. Now Open MS Paint
  3. Open Paint by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
    , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Paint.
  4. In MS Paint Click Edit, and then click Paste.
  5. After this Save the File on your computer by Clicking on File --> Save
Add this Saved File in your next Replay

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

Fortunately,

I do know how to take screen caps. Here they are!

Update:
What should I do next? I haven't had any Seth.Avazutracking.Net- or any other kind of pop-up, such as Wargame,
for quite some time now. It's been hours. I'm currently still using Mozilla Firefox, the browser in which both of these pop-ups occured.

Attachments

• Scheduled Tasks.png
    Scheduled Tasks.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Winlogon.png
    Winlogon.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Internet Explorer.png
    Internet Explorer.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 123

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

Please un check everything you can see in the Internet Explorer Tab in Autoruns. After that reboot the computer and check how it is working.

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

I haven't used IE after resetting it, so when I opened it again, at first nothing happened,
but then a blue screen appeared, detailing something about crash dump files that were being downloaded.

After that the system rebooted itself and when I logged into my account, I got a notice saying:
Windows had abruptly shut down and was then restored or recovered.

I also got a short list of details regarding the problem mentioning something about a blue screen and a mini dump.

Do you still want me to un-check everything in the Internet Explorer tab and re-start my computer?

Remington

Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013

Okay,

If I try to un-check anything in Autoruns, it tells me that the access is denied.
There is an option that says "run as Administrator", should I do this?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.