Solved Cannot Run Ashampoo Office without admin rights

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I have a very odd problem. I cannot run Ashampoo Office without admin rights. When I try the processes immediately quits after about 2 seconds, but the gui never even shows. If I run it with admin everything runs just fine. I contacted their support about but they don't know why this is happening either. They say no one else has reported anything like this To my knowlesge, no other app I have acts this way. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Solution
I think I solved it! Deleting the directory "C:\Windows\Temp", where Ashampoo actually launches from, solves it. I don't know why this works, but it seems to have solved the problem. My guess is that it force-refreshes a setting of some sort. After clearing that directory out Office now runs without admin! You'd think support could have figured that out.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I have a very odd problem. I cannot run Ashampoo Office without admin rights. When I try the processes immediately quits after about 2 seconds, but the gui never even shows. If I run it with admin everything runs just fine. I contacted their support about but they don't know why this is happening either. They say no one else has reported anything like this To my knowlesge, no other app I have acts this way. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
This is very strange. It seems to be a PC related problem. Try to reinstall it. I am also using it with no problems.

Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks @dinosaur07. I've reinstalled it several times, with admin rights, without admin rights, with Windows Security enabled and disabled, etc.. Nothing seems to make any difference. Luckily with Sandboxie I can isolate it, but running things as admin is not something I like to do. Macros can be a problem.

Also, this did not used to be an issue. But after trying another office suite and then reverting, for some reason it is.

Upvote 0

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks @dinosaur07. I've reinstalled it several times, with admin rights, without admin rights, with Windows Security enabled and disabled, etc.. Nothing seems to make any difference. Luckily with Sandboxie I can isolate it, but running things as admin is not something I like to do. Macros can be a problem.

Also, this did not used to be an issue. But after trying another office suite and then reverting, for some reason it is.
That is indeed odd. In this case the direct contact with the support team might help. They are very active and supportive.

Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I knew that Ashampoo Office was just a rebranded version of Softmaker. With that in mind, I downloaded and installed Softmaker Office. It's having the exact same issues as Ashampoo Office.

Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I think I solved it! Deleting the directory "C:\Windows\Temp", where Ashampoo actually launches from, solves it. I don't know why this works, but it seems to have solved the problem. My guess is that it force-refreshes a setting of some sort. After clearing that directory out Office now runs without admin! You'd think support could have figured that out.

Upvote 0
Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.