Advice Request can't open spyshelter

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
Hi all, just got the spyshelter premium trial and it literally won't open and I don't know where to begin. The service is running in task manager, but it won't open, I don't know if the drivers aren't installed or something.
Opening it from file location also does nothing,
any help would be appreciated thanks.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What about your AV, Microsoft Defender or any third-party AV? maybe the process "SpyShelter.exe" being blocked by your AV

spyshelter.png

There is this option for starting early Spyshelter Service:

early start.png

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
What about your AV, Microsoft Defender or any third-party AV? maybe the process "SpyShelter.exe" being blocked by your AV

View attachment 252229

There is this option for starting early Spyshelter Service:

View attachment 252230
I can't get to the interface because I can't open it anyway. Yeah I'll try disabling mbam pro, avast (only two real time protection programs), the rest are scanners and a vpn.

edit: disabled the avast shields for 10 mins, yep it was avast, so what exactly should I exclude in the AV interface?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
He already did it ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
He already did it ;)

Okay, didn't remember that, maybe he can link his Computer Security Config with his account so that the PC icon is visible?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Two reasons:
1. SpyShelter does not run when you have Memory Integrity enabled in Core Isolation at Device security of Windows Security center.
2. Sometimes a simple system shut down, wait ten secs and boot again helps when a memory bit has flipped or some error occurred in memory allocation

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
Okay, didn't remember that, maybe he can link his Computer Security Config with his account so that the PC icon is visible?
Think it's on now, just pasted the link to my account...
Ok, so Spyshelter loads fine now with exclusions to Avast, no noticeable conflicts with MBAM pro either, but the new problem I had before was that, the internet was no longer working with Spyshelter enabled. Disabled it from early start, turned it off, restarted pc, turned it back on and now the internet works again. Hope it's not a permanent problem any idea why that would happen?

Also another thing, I realize at this point Avast, MBAM pro, and Spysheter Premium (only using the trial still) is probably overkill. Avast's File and Web Shield, and MBAM's File and Web Shield, and Avast's Behavior Shield along with MBAM's ransomware/exploit protection... has worked fine together for ages now. I have a lot of trust in the Avast/MBAM combo, not just from online combination tests but my own XP as well, from memory I have barely even needed to use the scanners/nothing ever really came up because of how good the shields are. I plan on keeping these for a long time fully functional (minus Mail Shield on Avast), but I am fine with disabling some of Spyshelter's components if they aren't needed given all the protection of the Avast/MBAM combo, which ones do you think I may not need given what I mentioned?

Really, malware-wise I think I have all based covered, Spyshelter was really just for keylogger protection, should or can I knock off Internet Security? Has anyone here had success in running all three?
Thanks.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Just deinstall either Avast or Mbam they overlap to much (Avast has better track record than Mbam in independant tests) and have look at the Spyshelter manual.

If you find more than three tech things of which you have no clue what it protects or why you need it, deinstall Spyshelter to.

When you still feel the urge to add something to your security, try finding Avast hardened mode. After you have found and enabled the setting, download HardConfigurator and enable the Avast Hardened mode template/policy.

Now you are running the Arnold Zwarzenegger/Silvester Stallone version (on steroids) of Avast and you are good to go.

/L

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@ichito Is I think the most experienced user of SpyShelter here, maybe he can give some advice?
Lots of info can be found in this thread: User Feedback - SpyShelter Free
Thanks for such nice opinion 👍🙃

@Abzec5
Hi...nice to see another one user who is trying this excellent pice of software. It's good companion/addition to other security app installed in system but not for two AV that are working in real-time. It can for sure kill the stability of system. As you probably know SS is designed as non-signature protection what means that the most decision should be taken by user...you. It also means that SS is based on specific mechansms/technologies which have to interfere sometimes with core of system and devices like keyboard, camera, microphone or mouse. Such features can be blocked by behaviour of other security app for which detection mechanism of SS seams to be suspicious or even dangerous. The next thing is - SS isn't detected and presented in Windows Security Center. The consequence is that some apps don't recognise SS as trusted app although it's absolutely trusted 🙂
For me it'll be good to try
- make needed exclusions in both AV (earlier mentioned) and/or
- deinstall one AV
Some time ago I've prepared an article about my own settings, some tips and tricks. Maybe could be useful for you

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.