Cant Remove "Apps" Chrome Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryo One Shoe

Thread author
Feb 4, 2023
Chrome picked up an extension called "apps" that cannot be removed because it is "managed by organization" i followed the reccomended instructions but still cannot get rid of it.

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Ensure that you are in an Administrator Account
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Check the boxes as seen here:
L7kNU5y.jpg

Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and Attach it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Please attach the logs for my review.
How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "Upload file" button.
Do this for both files. Then press the "Post reply" button.
<<<>>>

Wait for further instructions

p.s.

The Farbar program is updated often.
If it's identified as suspicious by your Anti-Virus program trust it if Downloaded from the link I provided.
You should restore the program from the Quarantine folder.
<<<>>>

Before you post these logs please run a search with the Farbar program.

Let's see what we can find in the <<< Registry. >>>

Run the Farbar program .exe as an Administrator.

In the Search text area, copy and paste the following:
ExportKey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallForcelist
ExportKey: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallForcelist
Once done, click on the Search Registry button and wait for FRST to finish the search
On completion, a log will open in Notepad. Attach the log in your next reply with the other logs.
====

Ryo One Shoe

Thread author
Feb 4, 2023
I appreciate the response, but i managed to solve the issue. I found a few more suspicious files and deleted them. I also reset chromes "group policies" by editing and deleting certain registries. The exstension is gone and Chrome is no longer "managed by your organization"

luxamillion24

Feb 11, 2023
I appreciate the response, but i managed to solve the issue. I found a few more suspicious files and deleted them. I also reset chromes "group policies" by editing and deleting certain registries. The exstension is gone and Chrome is no longer "managed by your organization"
Would you be able to tell me how you reset the group policies? I am having the same issue and running out of solutions.

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
@luxamillion24

Support will be provided if you follow the instructions on this page.

It's to problematic to answer you question without any further details.
Start your own topic and will help you.

nasdaq

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.