• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
My AV is Bitdefender Total Security:)
My Specs Are:128 GB SSD+4 GB DDR4+AMD Dual-core Processor A6-9210 With Turbo CORE Technology Up To 2.8 GHz.
AMD Radeon R4 Graphics.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The paranoid one

Thread author
I like your settings, but I can not understand why you do not do backups. For me, the backup is the first line of defense, you can schedule the copies without having to make any effort and restore your operating system configured in just a few minutes.
Thanks for sharing, I hope I have not bothered you with my opinion

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
A number of VPNs being used is without a doubt overkill as @pablozi has stated. I agree with this as well! This is far too much. At most I would only ever use two. Windscribe and PIA are the two best in my opinion.

As with JM Security please look into using HTTPS Everywhere and ublock Origin. Both of these are free add-ons and are quite beneficial to have for any security build.

You have lots of web browsers, but I'd add these to each of the web browsers if possible - especially Chrome and Firefox as the add-ons are designed for these web browsers.

A large security risk in your security configuration is the fact that you are not currently running any backups. For a great, secure, and strong security configuration I would highly recommend that you start a backup schedule. There are two great free programs that have already been recommended that I would like to stress as well. These security programs include Macrium Reflect (free) and Anomi Backupper Standard (free). Both of these are highly rated and I have used these programs for a long time myself.

@The paranoid one is absolutely correct with his posting too. We want you to be more secure and the first line of defense against anything is having a great backup that you can fall back to at any given moment. I'd recommend that you keep your backups stored on an external hard drive that is only plugged into your computer during backup processes. From there, always keep this backup eternal hard drive unplugged from your network or other computers (basically keep it in a secure storage area).

~Lightning_Brian

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
I have HTTPS Everywhere and Ublock origin in All my browsers(besides Pale Moon)and Windscribe proxy/adblocker+Traffic-Light in Chrome and Firefox.
I am going to use one of the two recommended backup programs in the future, but I currently do not have the space for it.
I will purchase an external drive the 2 of November and then I will do backups frequently.
Thanks for your answers, I appreciate them.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@carsten ibsen Good news! I'd recommend that you ad HTTPS Everywhere and ublock origin to your security configuration. You may do this by scrolling to the top of the page and edit your posting under form tools.

You may be able to see if you can create more space by using the latest version of CCleaner. This tool can clean out a lot of old stuff that is not needed. Just be careful using it and don't use the registry cleaner.

Glad you will be using one of the recommended backup programs. Once you use one of these backup programs your ability to recover from any issue or error will increase tremendously!

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Personally your config is a bit overkill for my taste concerning real time protection and system cleaners.
But since you don't have any problem with it and your system runs light you should keep them.
As for back up before installing any 3rd party software you can always try and use Windows built in Back up.
Very good and very easy to use from my experience.
Thanks for sharing your config.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I have HTTPS Everywhere and Ublock origin in All my browsers(besides Pale Moon)and Windscribe proxy/adblocker+Traffic-Light in Chrome and Firefox.
I am going to use one of the two recommended backup programs in the future, but I currently do not have the space for it.
I will purchase an external drive the 2 of November and then I will do backups frequently.
Thanks for your answers, I appreciate them.
You could try this it will even help you create a partition to backup too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.