Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Good choice mate!
I've got lubuntu on laptop, and mint cinnamon on desktop :)
LINUX IS THE WAY :cool:

vrb93, It's my pleasure taking your word as a path to 'LINUX BEING THE WAY'.:cool: I know I should read more, but since you're here (..or coming back later:)) would you elucidate what 'Cinnamon' means to Mint? It's actually making me a bit thirsty and hungry too!!:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Finally! Welcome to the Windows 8.1 Family! :D

Thank you, King Mellow.:)
It's good to be a member of '..the Windows 8.1 Family!', and best of all when everything works quickly!;)
I've noticed the start-up time feels a bit slow, but this Acer (one of our three systems that includes an older Dell Tower XP plus a Sony Vaio Windows 7) has just restarted after installing Windows updates, 4 Extension updates, and an Adobe Flash update which is enough to make it tired like me!:rolleyes: :D
How goes your AV/Start up time Odyssey in which I hope everything is sailing on smoothly?:)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Acer Aspire 64-bit (X64) M5 i5-3337U CPU 1.8 GHz 5.82 GB RAM
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-32.jpeg
upload_2014-7-16_13-40-54.jpeg

Windows 8.1 - update 1,
Default browser - Chrome (portable).
Secondary browsers - Firefox, Cyberfox (X64), and Opera Next (temp. installed while in Shadow Mode)
Chrome extensions - Adblock (disabled), Adguard (enabled), ScriptBlock, LastPass, HTTPS Everywhere, switching between Zenmate & DoNotTrackMe and also Ghostery & Disconnect.

Added Chrome extensions:

• Adguard
  • *Http Switchboard (added in sandbox/Shadow Mode)
  • *Chromebleed (added in sandbox)

Added software:

• Shadow Defender (Thanks @illumination & @starchild76!)
  • NETbooten (portable) (Thanks to illumination!)
  • *Opera Next (installed while in Shadow Mode) (Thank you, @Moose!)
  • *IMGBurn version 2.5.8.0 (...in Shadow Mode) (Thank you, @Littlebits!)
CCleaner:
  • ..used to remove Comodo Dragon (Goodbye Mr Dragon!) waves goodbye
...and getting the hang of:
  • Linux - "Manjaro Open Box" in VM

*Temporary

Last edited:

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Laughing*:D "Meow"
Morning Cats-4_Owners-2 looks very good! I love your profile picture, it reminds me of my aunite; she has 4 cats :p

Tony :)
Thank you, Tony!:D When next you speak with your Auntie, covey to her my sentiments that 4 cats are the ideal number
...that is until we reach 5!!:p;)
if you use Adguard extension for chrome i don't think you will need Ghostery & Disconnect
please take a look at this thread
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/adguard-ad-blocker.342850/page-11#post-2381712
Thanks!:) I like Wilders, & shall read it soon!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I think AdGuard is much better than AdBlock Edge bro. BTW Have you tried BluHell Firewall?
Although I've used Adguard on Chrome, I've postponed installing it on our gecko based browsers as I'd thought it was still in beta. I shall look much closer into BluHell.:):)
Update: Do you know anything about ublock?o_O https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm I'd begun test blocking with it after reading positive comments here on MT, and shortly after discovering Adguard in a very similar way!:rolleyes:
BluHell Firewall is pretty good, effective and lightweight but sadly the lack of whitelisting stops me from using it :(

Very nice to finally see your config Cats-, don't know why I haven't looked at this thread before :p

@Cats-4_Owners-2
It's good to see you too, my trusty and much accoladed "White Hatted" friend.;):D Configurations can become like keepsakes hidden in old forgotten drawers and kept in little used rooms. I'm glad you found this one as now I'm probably going to address 'whitelisting' (..an obvious yet overlooked option) I've not considered until now.:):)
Looking good :D
Thanks, illumination. Just as your user name, it's a wonder how two simple words can bring about such a satisfying sense of well being and approval!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.