Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What CCeaner collects (though is still sadly the best cleaner around bar for Wise365) is small fry to Microsoft & Google's accumulation of data. I've decided to continue to use CCleaner regardless. :)

Valid points.

Gone to use the Slim version. Blocked CCupdate in AppGuard.

Latest version? What do you think of it?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The link is already in the initial post. But in case someone didn't see it.
CCleaner.com - Data Factsheet

After reading the above link, what do each of you think about the data CCleaner collects?

I'm still thinking about it. I have reservations about them using Google Analytics. If Avast was doing their analytics in-house, it would put more meat behind their claim of "clarity" about info they gather... but @Music4Ever has valid points. So? I'll get back to you....

Last edited:

Softae

Aug 29, 2018
Changelog:
----------------------
v5.46.6652 (30 Aug 2018)
Privacy Settings
- Added a separate control for the reporting of anonymous usage data
- Added a link to a Data Factsheet (CCleaner.com - Data Factsheet), which explains the data reported from CCleaner, why it’s reported, and what it’s used for

Smart Cleaning
- Renamed the ‘Monitoring’ feature to ‘Smart Cleaning’, to better describe its function (intelligent cleaning alerts)
- Reworded checkboxes for clarity
- If Smart Cleaning is disabled, CCleaner’s background process will close and the feature will not run on startup

General
- Restored previous System Tray and minimize behavior
- Fixed various stability issues

----------------------

Source: CCleaner - Version History
Download: CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Ccleaner is one of my best system utilities apps I use it since a long time ago and it performs best for me.

Reactions: oldschool

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Music to read this post by (is this allowed?):

Hi Guys! Before starting let me say at best I am oblivious to the use of CCleaner and Avast. I am neither a Fan nor a Hater.

I totally understand why CCleaner's privacy policy is under scrutiny- it's the residua of the PiriForm fiasco. But let's look at what probably occurred (I wasn't involved in the post-mortem, so have no real idea, but I have been involved in similar situations). Piriform was about to be acquired AVAST; although the brain-trust of Piriform would do quite well financially from the acquisition, most of the regular peasants may have got nothing but a key-chain and a termination notice.

What better way to feather a nest then to sell credentials (cash to be put in, hopefully, my favorite country of Malta.)? But with the Avast acquisition such a gravy train was gone, with both FTP access and Credential signing thingies actually protected. So I really feel (and I am NOT easily convinced) that this will never (never, ever) happen again.

Which leaves the Privacy Policy- This issue I really do not understand, as the CCleaner policy is actually more restrictive than the policy for Avast Free which people have been more than happy to use for years and years.

Anyway, my feeling is that although certain times it is proper to be paranoid, at other times it is just silly (ie: don't follow the ignorance of the Masses...).

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Updated, privacy settings enabled by ccleaner after update. Had to turn data gathering off manually
Moonhorse do you use Ccleaner?I am using Wise Disk Cleaner, since yesterday after downloading the new version, keep getting alerts from Adwcleaner flag it as PUP Optional Legacy Wise Euask.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanos

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
[I am using Wise Disk Cleaner, since yesterday after downloading the new version, keep getting alerts from Adwcleaner flag it as PUP Optional Legacy Wise Euask.
EUASK is a separate program included with Wise Disk Cleaner, which is accessed from the Assistance button. It's harmless, but could safely be removed if you never use it, although there's not much point doing so.

Reactions: Nestor

IBlazeshotzI

Feb 27, 2018
How's CCleaner. Ever since they been bought out its been so many ads. To this point i don't even use it anymore.
Then they had that Trojan last year.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Then they had that Trojan last year.
It wasn't able to download the payload, so didn't cause any issues. That is not a good reason to stop using it, in my opinion. But I can understand people no longer using it, due to of the ads.

As for myself, I've haven't used CCleaner for years, other than to try our new versions from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.