Ccleaner Infected - How to make sure PC is clean?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I see it this way...this was not done by "kids" and we don't know what they did.
Before experts said stage 2 never happened, then they discovered on a server a list with 20 targets that got stage 2 MW...but they don't know what happened before the list was created, what malware was used in stage 2....since you decided to reinstall all, I would also change all passwords.

I agree with this advice. We're already finding out it's a bit deeper than Avast initially claimed.

Also please note, Fortinet's APT detection systems started flagging Ccleaner back around May. They claim this all started in August and I am skeptical of that claim based on the APT hits triggering back in May. Once I saw the triggers I immediately removed Ccleaner and Ccleaner Cloud, cancelled my subscription and wiped all of the machines with it installed. Call it a hunch, but when APT appliances start triggering I take note.

I'd bet we all hear how it was once again 'more than they realized' after some time passes..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.