Advice Request Cerberus Anti-theft - Can I trust it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

manny_99

Thread author
Dec 13, 2022
Hi I've bought and installed Cerberus Anti-theft, can you guys tell me more information about it, whether I should have it or not
Because most Anti-virus says it's Malware, and some sites say it's a Banking Trojan or it's spyware. But other sites say it's a legitimate app and it's not malware.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I see: VirusTotal

Hum maybe false positives 🤔

I've just sent the apk to Kaspersky analysts, will post the final verdict.

Current detections names:

1671007376427.png

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hi I've bought and installed Cerberus Anti-theft, can you guys tell me more information about it, whether I should have it or not
Because most Anti-virus says it's Malware, and some sites say it's a Banking Trojan or it's spyware. But other sites say it's a legitimate app and it's not malware.

Even F-Secure don't like this kind of software. Assessment " Privacy risk " and I agree because it's too easy to abuse and misuse for the wrong purpose, if wanted. Personal I don't think anyone need it as todays phones basic built-in " Anti-theft " features works just fine.

With a 32/62 score on Virustotal, it's also too many warning signs and I strongly recommend read up on this type of tools.

The software is commercially available and can access an array of personal data, including device location, browser history, text messages, social media chats, photos and more. The marketing of stalkerware is not illegal, but its use without the victim’s consent is.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've bought and installed … whether I should have it or not …
To clarify you purchased an app/service with no/minimal background research? Now you are asking if you should be using it after you paid for that app, and whether the malware reports are true or not?

What could go wrong

If it’s not too late, you can get a refund for Play Store credits.

Before today, I have never heard of Cerberus Anti-theft, and after quick search I saw many negative reviews/comments about their ethics.

First they back-tracked on their lifetime license offers in 2015
More info: Cerberus Free Lifetime Licenses Forget What “Lifetime” Means...

It was later removed from the Google Play Store in 2019, following the restrictions surrounding SMS access.
More Info: Google's new SMS and call permission policy is crippling apps used by millions

Cerberus still uses text/SMS to function, and their APK can only be downloaded from outside the Play Store.

Here is the VirusTotal scan results for Cerberus Anti-Theft App: File - 3becc05320fca32c36c03a317382fd813c84655a0f8cb1d9e17b93a94e0928f4 (sourced from their website)

From their FAQ page, the shared Twitter link is now deleted tweet but the actual page displays as a parady account.
Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.58.44.png

If you have it installed, it may be flagged by Play Protect as a Harmful app. As seen by this Reddit post.
More info: Use Google Play Protect to help keep your apps safe and your data private - Google Play Help
And here: Potentially Harmful Applications (PHAs) | Play Protect | Google Developers
Other reasons apps are removed: Privacy, Deception and Device Abuse - Play Console Help

In the past I have used Prey (for desktop), but they offer mobile app services for a low fee. And it’s available on the Play Store!
Site: Protect your iPhone, Android, tablet and laptop and live a worry-free life | Prey
FAQ: Overview: What is Prey and How Can it Help You? - Prey Knowledge Base
Download: Prey: Find My Phone & Security - Apps on Google Play
VirusTotal scan results for Prey Anti-Theft App: File - 640380bf44d407f01225e528c14a3a0cf80d8cad58978b1ca2806d945bb043fa (sourced from APKMirror)

Tosh30

Feb 3, 2023
I've been a paid customer using Cerberus app anti theft since 2015. If it is performing any nefarious acts, it would be news to me, and it must be a very long con. My older phones were rooted Samsung S models, but now I'm using OnePlus and it allows me to mark the app as safe. My antivirus still thinks it's malware, but that's what happens when a hacker names the bank virus the same as an anti theft app. If a hacker really wants to stink up the joint, name the virus Norton, BankofAmerica, or Southwest - that will really get a rise outta everyone. If you're worried still, try the Prey Project. I use that for iOS devices.

1lor

Apr 19, 2024
I've just noticed their app is back on Google play, they are doing ad based and also subscription model, i still think it's a great app but how they handled the situation was dreadful.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.