Advice Request Cert revoked errors with Chrome browsers.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uncle bill

check your certificate data with the one in the image below.
eqthms.png

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I checked the SSL cert for protonmail.com and it's the same as the one above but it still says "Cert Revoked".

This problem is for Chrome only browsers. Unsure what is the problem is.

I don't have SSL scanning enabled with my AV. So that is out of the question.

And when I turn off SSL check off on Firefox protonmail.com loads but does not show login/register fields.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Pinging protonmail.com [185.70.40.182] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 185.70.40.182: bytes=32 time=645ms TTL=57
Reply from 185.70.40.182: bytes=32 time=473ms TTL=57
Reply from 185.70.40.182: bytes=32 time=500ms TTL=57
Reply from 185.70.40.182: bytes=32 time=533ms TTL=57

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: protonmail.com
Address: 185.70.40.182

Does that help?

U

uncle bill

you should have pinged www.protonmail.com instead of protonmail.com. did you forgot the first two rows of nslookup (IN LINUX i see the address or name of the dns server answering the request)? can't check to see if there are these lines on windows right now.. please repeat commands and add output for tracert (or traceroute on linux systems) www.protonmail.com. you do this just to let me check if you resolve and route www.protonmail.com right.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Is "Check for server certificate revocation" enabled in HTTPS/SSL part of Chrome settings? Also disable or enable the same option in Internet Explorer settings and then try again.

I don't see the revocation setting in Chrome settings. That's strange it's usually there. Could something like a extension be blocking it?

And I can't change revocation setting on IE 11. Says settings are managed by group policy.

Ah huh! That's probably it. There is a setting in Group Policy which I have enabled but now forgotten.

Any idea on where the group policy settings are in Group policy? I image it's IE 11 settings.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't see the revocation setting in Chrome settings. That's strange it's usually there. Could something like a extension be blocking it?

And I can't change revocation setting on IE 11. Says settings are managed by group policy.

Ah huh! That's probably it. There is a setting in Group Policy which I have enabled but now forgotten.

Any idea on where the group policy settings are in Group policy? I image it's IE 11 settings.
Maybe here?
Manage Revocation Checking Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.