Changing Android Wallpapers Threaten your Privacy

Do you change the default Android wallpaper on your phone?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
MalwareTips Community,

I'm sure everyone had changed the default android wallpaper when we first set up our phones (I know I have). However, I don't think many of us thought twice that changing something as simple as a phone wallpaper would make us identifiable. In 2021, a study found that changing the default android wallpaper starting from Android 12 does create a unique ID on our phone due to the "Material You" design Google had implemented. Detailed information from this study is here: How Android Wallpaper Images Can Threaten Your Privacy. What do you think about this, and does this information change your mind about customizing your phone wallpaper?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
I would be more concerned about installing a malicious wallpaper app, than worrying about wallpaper privacy.

@Ink, I respect your thought/opinions. Everyone is different in how they want to protect their privacy/security on their phone. I wanted to post this information for someone who may be interested or want to know what is happening, no matter how silly it seems. There is nothing wrong with getting more information.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Not a huge problem if you ask me. Can it threaten your privacy? Well maybe, but it's an edge case and shouldn't cause you grief unless it's an illegal/illicit wallpaper. I would be more worried about unrestricted access that Google Play Store updates have (not apps downloaded from the Appstore but the Google Appstore updates under Security and Updates in settings).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.