Changing to Avast combining with Comodo firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Analogue Kid

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
Remember i am a novice so understand i haven't grasped all there is to know about combining programes so i haven't a clue if they conflict.
Ok at the moment i have Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus installed with Comodo firewall. Comodo firewall settings are, Firewall security setting safe mode, Defence+ security setting safe mode and sandbox security setting disabled. If i took off Avira which i want to do to replace with Avast what settings would you recommend for Avast and Comodo. Or would it be better to go with Avast and Vista's firewall?

Thanks in advance.
Tak

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Changing to Avast combing with Comodo firewall

Well if I'm not sure about this but Avast have implement a behavior blocker and a sandbox while Comodo Firewall have defense + so it made an overkill there.

If you want in Avast make a custom installation removed behavior blocker

In comodo firewall you can turn off their sandbox if you want Defense +

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Yes Avast and Comodo will conflict. Its confirmed in there forums. Avast now has a behavior blocker and sandbox. Comodo has HIPS and a sandbox. Two products with simialr features will conflict. Avast and Vista Firewall set to Advanced Security will suit you just fine.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

The Analogue Kid said:
Remember i am a novice so understand i haven't grasped all there is to know about combining programes so i haven't a clue if they conflict.
Ok at the moment i have Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus installed with Comodo firewall. Comodo firewall settings are, Firewall security setting safe mode, Defence+ security setting safe mode and sandbox security setting disabled. If i took off Avira which i want to do to replace with Avast what settings would you recommend for Avast and Comodo. Or would it be better to go with Avast and Vista's firewall?

Thanks in advance.
Tak

Hey and warm welcome to MalwareTips :)!

When you installed Avast (make sure to select advanced installation or something similare) make sure that you don't don't install Avast's sandbox and add cmdagent.exe to avast's exclusion.

if that doesn't help please make a screen shoot of your d+ event

Before you install I strongly suggest you use the Avira's removal tool after uninstalling it.

Regards,
Valentin N

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

If you need to do all the then its pointless. Excluding that and this. A BB and a HIPS should not be combined. Vista Firewall w/Advanced Security Settings will be just fine. Follow this guide. Use the tools your OS comes with. We need to teach right from wrong before we teach tweaks and what to disable. If you need to disable certain features to make another program work then its not worth it.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=96877e4187dddbd7514ed4e2f5f65722&t=239750

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

There is no need for excessive configuration to make them work together. Install avast and during the installation choose Custom Install and deselect the Behavior Shield. Keep your COMODO Firewall configuration the way it is if it works for you.

Configuring the Win7 built-in firewall as Dieselman suggested works, but if you ask me the end result offers about the same protection as a 3rd party firewall (without HIPS) and it is not as comfortable to work with. If you are satisfied with COMODO there is no need to replace it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Replacing it and removing it are two different things. Making the system lighter and running less processes is only beneficial. Replacing would involve uninstalling product A and installing product B. Removing Comodo and enabling your OS's built in firewall is not replacing or uninstalling. If he can handle the complexity of Comodo's annoying pop ups he surely can handle Vista Firewall w/Advanced Security. Plus it will teach him the inner workings of a software firewall rather just clicking "allow" or "block".

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

@Diesel...are you really recommending the use of Vista Firewall instead of 3rd party,modern and powerfull firewall like COMODO Firewall?
He already installed and most likely answerd to all possible pop-ups that COMODO might generate......so the "pop-ups" reason can be removed from our talk.....BUT Comodo Firewalll even on the "first run" will generate less and more friendly alerts that Vista Firewall ;)
@The Analogue Kid : You should follow bogdan advice....
Also because you have just joined our forums you should start a new topic in this forum

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Dieselman said:
Yes Avast and Comodo will conflict. Its confirmed in there forums. Avast now has a behavior blocker and sandbox.
Can you giver us a link to this topic..because I can find it...:p

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Look in the forums and you will find it yourself. Yes Vista firewall is just fine. XP firewall is junk. BTW................Vista firewall when set up to Advanced Security has no pop ups.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Dieselman said:
Look in the forums and you will find it yourself.
Searched COMODO and Avast forums....didn't manage to find any topic.........Great to see that you are a real pro and prove a back-up to your statements.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Jack I'm not sure about this. Just checked it

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/conflict-with-avast-free-antivirus-t68289.0.html

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Dieselman@Shoutbox Comodo and Avast conflict http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76946.0

Seems like this guy was using CIS..and not Comodo Firewall.....

@elliot .....I know that you use Comodo Firewall and Avast 6 .. any problems? what did you disable?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

Jack said:
Dieselman@Shoutbox Comodo and Avast conflict http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76946.0

Seems like this guy was using CIS..and not Comodo Firewall.....

@elliot .....I know that you use Comodo Firewall and Avast 6 .. any problems? what did you disable?

I am not elliot but a problem that users with Avast+CF is that Avast can/is cause/causing high cpu because CIS is defending itself. To prevent it is to add avast exe file CIS ---> Defense+ ---> Computer Security Policy ---> Defense+ Rules --> click on Internet Security and then edit ---> Use a Constom Policy ---> customize ---> Protection Settings ---> Access Rights ---> Find Interprocess Memory Accesses and click on Modify ---> Allowed Memory Applications ---> add ---> Running process and then find the exe file. or add it in Avast's exclusion.

Regards,
Valentin N

The Analogue Kid

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
Sorry for the late reply. just thought i've give an update to show you how things went.
I installed avast with custom install with comodo firewall. I removed the behaviour part on avast and at the end of the install it says fininshing install and the system hung. After rebooting everything was ok but i checked avast and the sandbox was on oO, so god knows what happened.
One last question if i may, in my comodo setting i have D+ on but should the sandbox security tab be enabled?, i currently have the firewall and D+ at safe mode. Just to reiterate avasts sandbox is off.

Oh Webrep ain't working, any ideas there too?

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this choice.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you want comodo sandbox then you disable the autosandbox from Avast.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
The Analogue Kid said:
Sorry for the late reply. just thought i've give an update to show you how things went.
I installed avast with custom install with comodo firewall. I removed the behaviour part on avast and at the end of the install it says fininshing install and the system hung. After rebooting everything was ok but i checked avast and the sandbox was on oO, so god knows what happened.
One last question if i may, in my comodo setting i have D+ on but should the sandbox security tab be enabled?, i currently have the firewall and D+ at safe mode. Just to reiterate avasts sandbox is off.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this choice.

I suggest you only have on sandbox enabled. If you get problems please post a screen shot of your d+/firewall events so that we, comodo user, can take a look at it.

Regards,
Valentin N

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The Analogue Kid said:

Seems that another case there you can try to post the problem here. By the way in the laptop avast webrep is not working also its gray from IE,Google Chrome (Aurora in firefox which is not compatible) when I tested it..

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
yeahh..
now i can post again :)
hmm..
i think.. this are good combination ^^
i use it for my another laptop ;)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
OFFTOPIC

if anyone has problems that are related to comodo please post them in comodo sector :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.