Checking out BitDefender Internet Security 2014 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Checking out BitDefender Internet Security 2014

I posted in this subforum that I will try out BitDefender IS 2014 on a seperate spare partition to see how it behaves. Users have reported significant slowdowns in the system and when using the internet with BitDefender IS 2013 / 2014. My first goal is to disable the Wallet Service which is an issue from here,

http://malwaretips.com/threads/slow...ne-armor-premium-7-0.24655/page-2#post-181340

And then to check if I will also be affected with the reported "system slowdown" and "slow internet".

Starting on the Wallet Service issue (slow boot speed) encountered in the given thread above, the BitDefender Wallet Service are in fact the BitDefender Password Manager Agent = C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe
and Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent = C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe

I will be using a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system, 8gb ram spare partition. For purposes of continuity from the link above I will also use Glary Utilties but the free version(don't have the Pro version as that of the OP but it will do fine as the functions used will be the same). Also I'll use CCleaner, SysInternals Autoruns, Process Explorer. In addition I will use RevoUninstaller Pro which I use to disable startup items with it's AutoRun Manager in it's Tools option.

Please see image before I installed BitDefender Internet Security 2014 below. You will find that the bootspeed is 24 sec as recorded by Glary free as well as it's Startup Manager items. Autoruns>logon entries and CCleaner>Tools>Startup. This partition has KeyscramblerPro and Shadow Defender enabled to autostart with Windows.

1awnxzh.png

Kindly see image below. This is when I started installing BitDefender IS 2014 as trial. The custom install option I found out was ONLY to change the default file location of BitDefender. There are no options given to "select/deselect BD components".

Yfr0ZSI.png

After install I excluded the folders of HitmanPro / Malwarebytes / Shadow Defender and KeyScrambler and EasyBCD / iReboot processess from on-access / on-demand scanning in AV settings. I also changed the default action on detection from "Take proper action" to "Move files to quarantine".

I disabled the Wallet Service in the BitDefender IS GUI. See below.

pW7MD0z.png

After finishing installing/setting BitDefender IS 2014, I rebooted and the boot time is 59sec (from 24sec). CCleaner, AutoRuns and Glary free's Startup Manager shows the BitDefender Wallet Service Application running.

XZIHHo9.png

I then opened RevoUninstaller Pro and checked out the items in RevoPro Tools>AutoRun Manager>Location:HKCU Run and disabled(removed the checkmark) of the "BitDefender Password Manager Agent" and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent", rebooted. Both the startup items are now "NOT RUNNING" as seen below. It is also the same as of CCleaner and SysteInternals AutoRuns but not in Glary Utilties free. The bootspeed also became slightly slower from 59sec to 1.01min)

TsX7LIA.png

I now tried to remove/delete the entry in RevoPro Tools>AutoRun Manager>Location:HKCU Run item for both the "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" via it's "Remove Selected" option. See image below.

lsENcal.png

After reboot, Location:HKCU Run items of both "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" are gone. SysInternals' AutoRuns and CCleaner shows that there are no entries about the Wallet Service either but Glary free shows that it's still there. Bootspeed was still the same at 1.01min. See image below.

qKzjgVw.png

I ran Process Explorer to check if the Wallet Service is still running because Glary free still shows that it is running/enabled as startup. No "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" running.

Tb4Qq5P.png

Now I tried to disable Keyscrambler Pro and Shadow Defender from autostarting with Windows. Disabled both in RevoPro also. BD has keylogger protection so I can disable KeyscramblerPro. Shadow Defender I use only on-demand. I also checked in "msconfig" to see if there are items like the Wallet Application and if the Keyscrambler and SD has been disabled. See image below.

(paste image Keyscrambler_SD disabled plus msconfig image)

After reboot, the boot speed reflected is 52sec from 1.01min with Keyscrambler and Shadow Defender disabled. RevoPro shows Keyscrambler as "invalid" and "not running". Process Explorer does not show the Keyscrambler and SD running. But checking Glary free Startup Manager it is showing that the Wallet Service is still enabled. See image below.

X4MrRMf.png

O3za1gx.png

It seems that Glary Utilities free is showing a glitch in it's Startup Manager GUI or something....All the rest of the tools that I used shows that the Wallet Service is not running anymore. Checking closely I saw that while Glary Startup Manager shows a program "Status>Enabled" it reflects it differently in the Entry Properties at the bottom portion of the Status Manager window.

All 3 BitDefender Wallet Application entries it shows as "Status>Enabled" in the Programs list(upper portion) are showed as "Status: Stopped" in the Entry Properties below. See images below.

TsL5ZQI.png

8JER1eS.png

qiruEAi.png

So this may mean(most definitely) that the "BitDefender Wallet Application Agent", "BitDefender Wallet(BitDefender Password Manager) and BitDefender Wallet Agent" are all "NOT RUNNING" and has been stopped (by RevoPro) as the Entry Properties shows it in fact as "Status: Stopped".

I checked the other programs in the list. Bdagent.exe which is "Status>Enabled" enabled and running, it also reflects as "Status: Stopped" --- not running. The same was for ireboot.exe. In Process Explorer and SysInternals AutoRuns both are "enabled" and "running". See images below.

kOOQnKR.png

rs4Wxiw.png

mjhAnSY.png

So this maybe a GUI glitch in Glary Utilties ver 4....The OP in the previous thread may have been successful in disabling the Wallet Service but was made to believe that it was still running because of the GUI glitch of Glary Utilities Pro....

I will check it out again the next day or two. This has been a long day. I request you guys who are using Glary Utilities Pro or free version 4 to check this out if possible as it is confusing to me at the very least.

The boot speed time as measured by Glary free is consistent at around 52-1.01min not far from the boot speed time of the OP of the link given above. Although the OP there used BitDefender AV 2014 I believe that the behavior is the same with regards with the slowness of boot speed. I mean from 24sec to 1min...that's a lot to me. The average (I think) is from20-45 or 50sec for Windows 7.

The Wallet Service may also not be the only one causing the slow boot speed time as RevoPro, CCleaner, AutoRuns, Process Explorer shows that it is not running when Windows starts...It maybe this one....

"C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\updatesrv.exe" /service

I'll check it out the nest day or two and I'll need to check also with Emsisoft HiJackFree...

I also think I should test boot speed time using other software....

Gotta go now I'm dead tired :(

---

In the firewall eventhough I have set a program to be denied connection(both outgoing/incoming) the connection still is allowed. PotPlayer and GOM Player are allowed. All I set to DENY is always allowed!!!! See images below.

BD Firewall General Rules
cz1vw76.png

PotPlayer settings
nDcUGY9.png

PotPlayer conceted to Remote Address 110.45.215.113
pBsuyz0.png

GOM Media Player settings
m4Qd1Aq.png

TjJq9ag.png

GOM Media Player connected to Remote Address 64.19.142.11
6PzL7so.png

GlaryUtilties settings
eVU5wln.png

GlaryUtilties connection to Remote Address 54.230.87.44
n1Vomfn.png

PCFlank Stealth results
TW3R3vx.png

GRC Ping Fail of BD firewall
NcJpecJ.png

Will test further next time.

--

On slowdown, there is a noticeable slowness on launching programs/applications, folders..I have scanned the system as this was an advise in order for the slowness to be diminished but it seem not working. The delay is about 1 to 1.5sec before a program or folder or application displays right. Never experienced that before. Only in BD. I am still observing.

melen001

Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I also experienced a slight lag in my boot time. What I did was disabled Bitdefender Firewall and using Wins 7 Firewall.... I also disabled the Wallet, Parental Control and Password applications using Ccleaner Start-Up tool and verified in Windows Services and Windows System Configuration and they are disabled. I have a very modest PC set-up, Toshiba Satellite P845-S4200, Intel Core i5, 6GB DDR3-1600, 750 HD running Wins 7 64 OS. My boot time before installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 Build-17.27.0.1146 was 34 to 37 seconds which is quite fast considering the PC system I have. Boot time is now 48 to 50 seconds but was actually over 1 minute 25 seconds after installing Bitdefender. I try to keep my PC in tip top shape with various optimize tweaks and deleting junk files also perform HD defrag about every 2 weeks. I've only had Bitdefender for a couple of days so I will have to see how all this works out. I read somewhere that Bitdefender has to scan your PC various times so it can "learn" your computing habits and that will help it perform better. Don't know if that's true but I will soon find out. Thanks for your info and hope that my feed back is of value and can help you just like yours has helped me. CHAO.....

George Melendez
Puerto Rico

Last edited:

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
nice and well explained experiment, but personally i will just remove BD :D
Yeah. I do agree. Just tried this out as the BD licenses I have are still unused and I saw the thread of jasonX and it seems there is no solution to it but remove it...so I took it as a challenge to check it out and see first hand. I may tinker with it for a couiple of more days to a week..perhaps and post here what I see/observe. I may also ask something at the Glary site about this also. I really got confused.

Incidentally I received a message from BitDefender facebook that the BD forums are open. But when I checked it the same error -- you are not permitted to blah blah blah.. https://www.facebook.com/sraul.santiano/posts/614630291946183?stream_ref=10

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
@melen001,

The boot speed time on my post was measured by Glary Utilties free. How did you measure yours? Previously I just did it manually with a stop watch when I start to boot. I just carried-on from the thread link posted above.. But same as you, I always make it a point that my systems are i tip-top shape/clean and backed-up right. This boot speed lag (slowdown) I only really experienced with BD. This is a first for me. Never really went above 35sec.

I will try to post again as I tinker with BD IS 2014 :)

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Very well explained Raul, thanks for this, hope this post can convince my family (they are BD's fanatics :confused:) don't get me wrong, I like BD, their UI, even the B logo on tray icon and it's engine, however the most annoying part for me is BD doesn't even give any single option to user to choose which product the user want to install it or not :D

I already removed BD if I were you and I prefer using other Av's that use BD's engine, but it's a good point to check it out and see it deeply like you did, I'm looking forward your next post :)

Last edited:

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
A very-well written article, it shows that you put tons of effort into it. Thanks. :)

Being a BD user myself (although...probably not for long), I've had problems with Wallet and co. services starting up at boot. I hope you manage to solve your problems. ^^

melen001

Verified
Aug 16, 2013
@melen001,

The boot speed time on my post was measured by Glary Utilties free. How did you measure yours? Previously I just did it manually with a stop watch when I start to boot. I just carried-on from the thread link posted above.. But same as you, I always make it a point that my systems are i tip-top shape/clean and backed-up right. This boot speed lag (slowdown) I only really experienced with BD. This is a first for me. Never really went above 35sec.

I will try to post again as I tinker with BD IS 2014 :)

Gracias..... thanks for a quick reply....

I have SOLUTO on my PC and it has been doing an excellent job concerning the boot process and bringing down boot time. Been using it for 17 months with no regrets what so ever. It's an excellent solution if you want to lower you boot time. It also has other features so try it.... I highly recommend it and it's FREE so give it a shot....

Check out Lifehackers review.....

http://lifehacker.com/tag/soluto

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
To add,

Notice this one in the BD IS gui earlier. I have scanned the drive so as it will learn the drive that I am using. After scan I saw that the GUI still displays "Last Scan: Never".

f8eqzJJ.png

I tried again to check out if the (Deny Outgoing/Incoming) rules for Pot Player is applied by BD firewall. It did not still apply the rule I set.

e1g2CJ7.png

I checked also with Kingsoft Office which I also set to Deny Outgoing/Incoming connection. Same behavior.

y3vNkRE.png

xsmPnFI.png

Connection activity of BD Firewall is too small and cannot be maximized. It's hard to see in that small box all the activity that my connection shows. Plus it does not have the capability to terminate a connection. I had to use Process Hacker to terminate the process.

qx7WFBl.png

Now as I looked at the Firewall Events, I see that although BD did not block or deny outgoing connections for PotPlayer and Kingsoft Presentation there is no record at all of that activity except in the network activity tab.

pG9pEdz.png

I launched GOM Player and checked to see if the behavior is the same. In the Firewall events (last 60minutes) there is no record at all while there is a outgoing connection recorded in the network activity.

9WAMCXX.png

I checked out with Glary Utilities. The connections are being established without a record in the firewall events. Plus a pop-up ad from Glary was not blocked. It was a first time since I had this one with BD. It launches when I am online and I start Glary.

iKYBgAj.png

gFVb8mX.png

I'd like to check if I can block a browser launch(this I tried it in Eset ESS firewall and it did not block my default browser from launching when I exit the game). I used to block these via D+ in Comodo. In Emsisoft I additionally block browser launch I with Emsisoft>Programs>Advanced Settings. There isn't much you can do with the firewall of BD...:(

I ran Around the World in 80 Days and checked versus the rule I have created (DENY all) but seems BD isn't blocking it. The Firewall events showed a record of only the UDP connection for the last 60minutes. The TCP allow is not recorded as in GOM / PotPlayer / Glary.

umoFtcv.png

Around the World in 80 Days game launches a browser when you exit it. In BD I am still thinking how can I block that browser launch that is triggered when you exit the game.

oNeM0zc.png

Last edited:

Mirabela

Level 1
Apr 7, 2014

I posted in this subforum that I will try out BitDefender IS 2014 on a seperate spare partition to see how it behaves. Users have reported significant slowdowns in the system and when using the internet with BitDefender IS 2013 / 2014. My first goal is to disable the Wallet Service which is an issue from here,

--

On slowdown, there is a noticeable slowness on launching programs/applications, folders..I have scanned the system as this was an advise in order for the slowness to be diminished but it seem not working. The delay is about 1 to 1.5sec before a program or folder or application displays right. Never experienced that before. Only in BD. I am still observing.

Hello, Raul,
I will try to reply briefly to your analysis. We do appreciate the fact that you tested our product, but please do note that you want further details about these features mentioned above it is easier to find a complete and correct answer by asking us directly (via Facebook, via email - bitsy at bitdefender - or via website forum).

First of all, please have in mind that we are talking about an integrated product that may not react properly when it is analyzed in other ways than as a complex system (tearing apart features may lead to inconclusive report). The product has its own protection mechanism and when a process is forced to stop functioning, the rest will try to fix it and re-start the initial stopped process. Also, the system has its way of fixing the corrupted files by downloading them from the server. This way, the product protect itself (if we can say so) from potential malware and from any tentative to delete, rename or stop processes.

Also, when adding exceptions and installing many other security solutions on the same device, one has to be aware of the fact that all of those have drivers that make those exclusions useless. If you eliminate from Startup an entry to another program, that program will still run, due to its drivers and services that keep on loading.

The rules generated above are not very accurate - those applications will still run on any other Bitdefender Firewall profile (it doesn't have to be Unstrusted one).

Related to GRC Ping Fail – the request comes from another browser (that is a legit app), so that is way you have those results.

Once again, these are only brief responses to the major issues from your topic. We are glad to give you any other details or help you with any other questions, but please do contact us on the email address offered above.

We thank you and we do wait for your email.
Have a great day!

Reactions: Raul90

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
I'm back here to report on the status of my experiment with BitDefender Internet Security.

In relation to the boot speed time, I downloaded Soluto and installed it. The install was successful but something happened to my system as when it finished I notuced that the system became more sluggish . Disregarding that I rebooted and just shutting down took 3 minutes +. Disregarded it again and for startup. The startup seems to have gone for a very long time first time Soluto clock the very same partition at 2 min + and then I got a black screen which seems to be going on till forever I hit the reset button on the pc.

As it restarted it stil took a long time but I waited on it. It clocked at 2.44. See image below.

cXdXkQX.png

Now it seems that BitDefender or something is clashing with Soluto so I restarted and decided to try in the main partition. The shutdown time was also too long this was a first even when BitDefender IS was installed. It was too long I had to hit the reset button again just to restart the pc. When it did booted to the main partition it took a long time to display the icons it just showed the tray and the wallpaper. After that the wallpaper disappeared and only a blue screen appeared. Blue screen with the tray still there. Then it froze. Had to manually restart again via the reset button. When it did booted again to the mai partition the same thing happened again.

Restarted via the reset button again and selected the BitDefender IS partition. Same observation, took too long but this time the blue screen with the tray icons are shown and then the wallpaper showed. Soluto-flip paper countdown showed counting the sec of the boot speed time. It was the same at 2.44.

Restarted but it took again a very long time so I had to use the reset button again. Tried to boot to the main partition but the same with the black and blue screen with the tray icons and then it froze.

At that point I restarted via the reset again and decided to boot to the BitDefender partition and remove Soluto but even when I have removed Soluto via RevoPro it was not the same. The system was slower that usual. I was able to boot to the main partition with Emsisoft IS but it took 44sec to boot. Folders, programs and applications opened slower. My Computer opens with a blank white spot before showing the contents. And this was in the main partition. Seems Soluto did not gel well with my partitions and something was clashing with it.

So I decided to recover a system image I did prior this experiment. It just was too bad that I was not able to image the BitDefender IS partition( I was to image it after Soluto but it went all sideways). What I had was an image of the main partition without Emsisoft IS(--just removed it).

Using that I have now BitDefender AV 2014 alongside Comodo firewall ver7. I took the cue from SifhX from his earlier post. And I installed Emsisoft HijackFree and not KillSwitch. I also applied exclusions in BitDefender AV 2014 for Comodo / Malwarebytes / HitmanPro / Shadow Defender /.

Comodo firewall threw a some alerts on BD's update service / update downloader and some services I wasn't able to catch. So I placed the appliactions of BD in HIPS rule as trusted.

As of this writing I am updating BitDefender AV now ( it may take a while as the internet now is #####).

bo2RzWO.png

LupfIsD.png

Emsisoft HijackFree detected the Wallet Service of BitDefender in it's

AutoRuns>Registry
AutoRuns>Registry>.Default

In AutoRuns>Registry I saw both "pmbxag.exe"and "bdapppassmgr.exe" with some registry address but instinctively unchecked / deleted the "bdapppassmgr.exe" along with it's registry key. It was a mistake and there was no way of making it return so this image was the remaining. I remembered it late.

wyTCODA.png

In AutoRuns>Registry>.Default I managed to take a snapshot of it before unchecking/disabling and later deleted. See image below.

oRdzGR7.png

zDPUNAf.png

I think this is where ifacedown has mentioned that he turned the BitDefender Wallet Service off but could not recall how. http://malwaretips.com/threads/slow...msisoft-online-armor-premium-7-0.24655/page-2

I think this is the way to go. I just need to compare the AutoRuns>.Default items to what is Glary is showing in it's StartUp Manager.

Hello Jasonx!

I really do not know how I did it correctly, removing the Wallet Service, and preventing it from running EVER again, without causing any error in BD.

I remember turning it off via BD's main menu, then unchecking it either on HiJackFree (a free component from Emsisoft Emergency Kit - a free product), or RegSeeker. You don't have to disable its registry.

About OA, the latest build is fast and superior compared to version 6. I am using a slow netbook but OA only added some few seconds to my boot time.

Glary Utilties 4 boot speed time with BitDefender AV 2014 and Comodo Firewall ver7

i6nzBa4.png

AutoRuns without BitDefender Wallet Service (after disabling in Emsisoft HijackFree)

d3PWFe2.png

CCleaner Startup items (after disabling in Emsisoft HijackFree)

l6j3sHs.png

MSconfig(after disabling/delete in Emsisoft HijackFree)

av6AxNU.png

Glary Utilities 4 StartUp Manager with the BitDefender Wallet Service enabled and status at the bottom as "stopped".

LXyhTnc.png

Now the registry items detected by HijackFree in AutoRuns>Registry>.Default seems to be the same as that of that is reflected in Glary Utilities StartUp Manager. I will check this out when I finish updating BitDefender AV 2014 and reboot. I will also check the boot speed time that clocked at an amazing 37sec. It might be a fluke so I need to check. I'm still blinking in disbelief.

About slowdown when you open programs/applications and even explorer the delay is (I think) half of what I encountered with BitDefender Internet Security. It also seems to be getting faster as I am using it now...still observing though.

It's only now I saw this that BD has replied via Mirabela. I will respond later when I read it fully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Hello, Raul,
I will try to reply briefly to your analysis. We do appreciate the fact that you tested our product, but please do note that you want further details about these features mentioned above it is easier to find a complete and correct answer by asking us directly (via Facebook, via email - bitsy at bitdefender - or via website forum).

First of all, please have in mind that we are talking about an integrated product that may not react properly when it is analyzed in other ways than as a complex system (tearing apart features may lead to inconclusive report). The product has its own protection mechanism and when a process is forced to stop functioning, the rest will try to fix it and re-start the initial stopped process. Also, the system has its way of fixing the corrupted files by downloading them from the server. This way, the product protect itself (if we can say so) from potential malware and from any tentative to delete, rename or stop processes.

Also, when adding exceptions and installing many other security solutions on the same device, one has to be aware of the fact that all of those have drivers that make those exclusions useless. If you eliminate from Startup an entry to another program, that program will still run, due to its drivers and services that keep on loading.

The rules generated above are not very accurate - those applications will still run on any other Bitdefender Firewall profile (it doesn't have to be Unstrusted one).

Related to GRC Ping Fail – the request comes from another browser (that is a legit app), so that is way you have those results.

Once again, these are only brief responses to the major issues from your topic. We are glad to give you any other details or help you with any other questions, but please do contact us on the email address offered above.

We thank you and we do wait for your email.
Have a great day!

Thank you for posting here. I am sure MT are happy that you noticed us here.

-- How can that be easier when I personally cannot contact you via the given examples other than Facebook? I did wanted to ask you directly as other BitDefender users wanted. But the fact is that with your forums that has been down a long time and with an email that I sent to coming back to tell me that,

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message.
Please be advised that this inbox is not being monitored and you will not receive a response.
If you already have an open support ticket, please reply to the last message you received from us.
If you do not have an open support ticket please contact us through the contact form at http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html
Once we receive your message we will respond in the shortest time possible,

Thank you for your understanding,
Bitdefender Customer Care

I will not get a response plus this is not being monitored and I need to go to http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html_ and post it there and when I did I was not able to post it because the buttons were not working at all, my last resort was to post it here because if I can speak frankly I trust the guys here more than you.

See Reply #32 with regards to your contact form issue I encountered.

http://malwaretips.com/threads/id-l...s-of-bitdefender-paid-anti-virus.24804/page-2

Take a look at this post at Wilders http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=338450 Did someone from BD ever see this? The other day you replied to my Facebook comment that the BD forums is running now but when I went there to register for an account it wasn't. Reply #4 https://www.facebook.com/sraul.santiano/posts/614630291946183?stream_ref=10

Have you replied to those who have posted some issue here in this very subforum other than my threads and that of the other OP jasonX? If you have noticed there are some that need assistance where is that assistance? SifhX and ifacedown and some have issue with BD and because there wasn't any support or help before like what you are now showing me now they have abandoned BD.

.......it is easier to find a complete and correct answer by asking us directly (via Facebook, via email - bitsy at bitdefender - or via website forum)....

--Have you or someone relayed this message to those who have trouble or issues with BD other than in Facebook? I doubt it if SifhX, ifacedown, Lalith Jayasinghe, The TRUTH or melen001..etc have been relayed info such as this...

I only saw this when you replied at jasonX's thread(he is in fact in the hospital at the moment and have given up on BD).

You seem to be more active in Facebook rather than your forums (which was gone for a very long part of time) and in customer service email. Well a lot still don't use Facebook. Frankly I made a Facebook account because I wanted to join giveaways and this was needed. My use of Facebook lifted of from there but I am no fan. I use Facebook when there is a need. I am not an addict like the young-ones are. I feel and believe if I had not posted in Facebook a couple of times you would not have noticed at all....

I already asked jasonX to forward to me the email he sent to BD CS and I am waiting on it. It is through him that I learned about Support Email is: customerservice@bitdefender.com but apparently days or week after that he got nothing. I will post a snapshot here when I get it.

-- This may be true with BitDefender but you do not give us the option to uninstall or make a custom install other than change the default folder location. You give us the user a way to disable it via the GUI but still it runs in the background. Now what kind of disable is that? You disable it in the GUI but when you check with 3rd party tools it's still there and running. That BitDefender wallet service is suspected of causing the slow boot speed.

Are you telling me now that even-though you give us the option to disable it in the GUI it will still run in the background? And what about the other settings there? If we disable it there, it will STILL run in the background? What kind of a GUI option is that? If the service still runs in the background even-though it has been "turned-off / disabled" in the GUI because BD is protecting itself then we would be better-off been informed at the start that it will do so(run in the background)in the first place. I do not see that in the user guide.

That makes the "turn-off" option an illusion.

-- Exclusions useless...well that may be the case only for BD. I understand, exclusions are placed so it would not interfere with the processes of the other or let both security apps coexist nicely. Yes all of those have drivers but it's also the same that of BD.

-- I am not a firewall guru but are you now telling me that the options given in the rules gui are pretty straightforward. It's reads DENY on "both" and "any" there....but allow me to ask you, what may be the right rule for it may I ask? Your firewall doesn't have a "Block all" option other than deny there and there isn't any HIPS rule we can set to complement it. Unlike in Comodo where you can block it in firewall rule (as Blocked Application) and Defense + Access Rights or Online Armor Premium as Blocked in Firewall or in Programs>Advanced setting. But all of them vary...what may be the right rule for it then...?

So is GRC not reliable than PCFlank? Why does PCFlank tell me that my PING is stealth while in GRC its not?

I still believe and feel that if it weren't for the Facebook posts I did you have not noticed. I am sorry but that is how I feel. One thing more, your BD forums is STILL "this menu has been disabled". Did you ever checked that out? http://videobam.com/mxsmJ

I'd like to also add that this post is about "Checking out BD IS 2014" on my system and am comparing it to my preferences (say, Emsisoft IS, Eset ESS / Nod32 AV, Avira IS 2012, Avast IS ver9, CIS ver6 full, Outpost Firewall Pro to name a few) and jasonX's post along with SifhX's / ifacedown's and the guys here assisting him on his dilemma encouraged me to tinker with it. This is for MT and it's members. I only shared what was observed along with some facts I encountered including the BD forums which you say is open/running but in true fact is not and continues to be. That is a sad fact I see. Well you'll not see the MT forums sleeping that's for sure and that is because we have a community here that is openly helping all members to the best of their ability FREE of charge.

I will send you details in that email address you posted here(I will attached the email reply I got from customerservice@bitdefender.com). I hope that others may do as well and may I request that you post here for the benefit of MT members especially for BD users/trial users for their issues...or Facebook is much preferred...

Thank you for your reply.

Have a nice day too :)

Last edited:

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Back here to report what I have observed. I have rebooted after I have update BitDefender AV 2014 and the first thing I noticed is that the shutdown time increased eventhough I have 4sec time in the Regedit WaitToKill time in the registry. Also it was not like that before. After reboot it took a long time and it clocked at 1.14min. The previous clocktime of 37sec was to hard to believe. See image below.

Glary boot speed time at 1.14min after reboot.

PihHFzu.png

Now after reboot I also checked HijackFree entries I have deleted in "AutoRuns>Registry" and "AutoRuns>Registry>.Default". There it was it resurfaced after reboot.

Emsisoft HijackFree>AutoRuns>Registry>.Default

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pwdmanui.exe

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr

Emsisoft HijackFree after reboot showing what I deleted earlier resurfaced. I deleted it all again and then rebooted.

GgQwXD5.png

Glary boot speed time after second reboot at 1.07min

eKLy4y8.png

Emsisoft HijackFree after second reboot showing what I deleted earlier resurfaced.

KNHHv6p.png

Only Glary Utilities Free and Emsisoft HijackFree shows the 3 distinctive entries that are stubborn and cannot be deleted permanently. Maybe this is what Mirabela was stating...I will try to block said files in Comodo D+>HIPS>Protected Objects>Blocked Files and then reboot. See image.

ivFgRQj.png

Incidentally while I was checking the Updates Log I got an error and it seems it as stopped working. See image below.

Tkkeq4n.png

On the slowdown on opening programs/applications and explorer it's not the same as that of when I had just BitDefender IS 2014...getting slower.

I also noticed like that of BitDefender IS the Last Scan in the BD GUI stays with "never" eventhough I have just finished a scan earlier after update. The log scan also shows the exclusions I have placed.

atkmxZ4.png

When I was to edit the "scan never" images I ran Kingsoft Presentation and Comodo threw some pop-ups telling me that it was attempting to connect to the internet. If we can recall in BitDefender IS there was not even one pop-up and just allowed the connection silently. See image below.

m7JYdHZ.png

Last edited:

melen001

Verified
Aug 16, 2013

http://malwaretips.com/threads/slow...ne-armor-premium-7-0.24655/page-2#post-181340

And then to check if I will also be affected with the reported "system slowdown" and "slow internet".

Starting on the Wallet Service issue (slow boot speed) encountered in the given thread above, the BitDefender Wallet Service are in fact the BitDefender Password Manager Agent = C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe
and Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent = C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe

I will be using a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system, 8gb ram spare partition. For purposes of continuity from the link above I will also use Glary Utilties but the free version(don't have the Pro version as that of the OP but it will do fine as the functions used will be the same). Also I'll use CCleaner, SysInternals Autoruns, Process Explorer. In addition I will use RevoUninstaller Pro which I use to disable startup items with it's AutoRun Manager in it's Tools option.

Please see image before I installed BitDefender Internet Security 2014 below. You will find that the bootspeed is 24 sec as recorded by Glary free as well as it's Startup Manager items. Autoruns>logon entries and CCleaner>Tools>Startup. This partition has KeyscramblerPro and Shadow Defender enabled to autostart with Windows.

1awnxzh.png

Kindly see image below. This is when I started installing BitDefender IS 2014 as trial. The custom install option I found out was ONLY to change the default file location of BitDefender. There are no options given to "select/deselect BD components".

Yfr0ZSI.png

After install I excluded the folders of HitmanPro / Malwarebytes / Shadow Defender and KeyScrambler and EasyBCD / iReboot processess from on-access / on-demand scanning in AV settings. I also changed the default action on detection from "Take proper action" to "Move files to quarantine".

I disabled the Wallet Service in the BitDefender IS GUI. See below.

pW7MD0z.png

After finishing installing/setting BitDefender IS 2014, I rebooted and the boot time is 59sec (from 24sec). CCleaner, AutoRuns and Glary free's Startup Manager shows the BitDefender Wallet Service Application running.

XZIHHo9.png

I then opened RevoUninstaller Pro and checked out the items in RevoPro Tools>AutoRun Manager>Location:HKCU Run and disabled(removed the checkmark) of the "BitDefender Password Manager Agent" and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent", rebooted. Both the startup items are now "NOT RUNNING" as seen below. It is also the same as of CCleaner and SysteInternals AutoRuns but not in Glary Utilties free. The bootspeed also became slightly slower from 59sec to 1.01min)

TsX7LIA.png

I now tried to remove/delete the entry in RevoPro Tools>AutoRun Manager>Location:HKCU Run item for both the "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" via it's "Remove Selected" option. See image below.

lsENcal.png

After reboot, Location:HKCU Run items of both "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" are gone. SysInternals' AutoRuns and CCleaner shows that there are no entries about the Wallet Service either but Glary free shows that it's still there. Bootspeed was still the same at 1.01min. See image below.

qKzjgVw.png

I ran Process Explorer to check if the Wallet Service is still running because Glary free still shows that it is running/enabled as startup. No "BitDefender Password Manager Agent " and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" running.

Tb4Qq5P.png

Now I tried to disable Keyscrambler Pro and Shadow Defender from autostarting with Windows. Disabled both in RevoPro also. BD has keylogger protection so I can disable KeyscramblerPro. Shadow Defender I use only on-demand. I also checked in "msconfig" to see if there are items like the Wallet Application and if the Keyscrambler and SD has been disabled. See image below.

(paste image Keyscrambler_SD disabled plus msconfig image)

After reboot, the boot speed reflected is 52sec from 1.01min with Keyscrambler and Shadow Defender disabled. RevoPro shows Keyscrambler as "invalid" and "not running". Process Explorer does not show the Keyscrambler and SD running. But checking Glary free Startup Manager it is showing that the Wallet Service is still enabled. See image below.

X4MrRMf.png

O3za1gx.png

It seems that Glary Utilities free is showing a glitch in it's Startup Manager GUI or something....All the rest of the tools that I used shows that the Wallet Service is not running anymore. Checking closely I saw that while Glary Startup Manager shows a program "Status>Enabled" it reflects it differently in the Entry Properties at the bottom portion of the Status Manager window.

All 3 BitDefender Wallet Application entries it shows as "Status>Enabled" in the Programs list(upper portion) are showed as "Status: Stopped" in the Entry Properties below. See images below.

TsL5ZQI.png

8JER1eS.png

qiruEAi.png

So this may mean(most definitely) that the "BitDefender Wallet Application Agent", "BitDefender Wallet(BitDefender Password Manager) and BitDefender Wallet Agent" are all "NOT RUNNING" and has been stopped (by RevoPro) as the Entry Properties shows it in fact as "Status: Stopped".

I checked the other programs in the list. Bdagent.exe which is "Status>Enabled" enabled and running, it also reflects as "Status: Stopped" --- not running. The same was for ireboot.exe. In Process Explorer and SysInternals AutoRuns both are "enabled" and "running". See images below.

kOOQnKR.png

rs4Wxiw.png

mjhAnSY.png

So this maybe a GUI glitch in Glary Utilties ver 4....The OP in the previous thread may have been successful in disabling the Wallet Service but was made to believe that it was still running because of the GUI glitch of Glary Utilities Pro....

I will check it out again the next day or two. This has been a long day. I request you guys who are using Glary Utilities Pro or free version 4 to check this out if possible as it is confusing to me at the very least.

The boot speed time as measured by Glary free is consistent at around 52-1.01min not far from the boot speed time of the OP of the link given above. Although the OP there used BitDefender AV 2014 I believe that the behavior is the same with regards with the slowness of boot speed. I mean from 24sec to 1min...that's a lot to me. The average (I think) is from20-45 or 50sec for Windows 7.

The Wallet Service may also not be the only one causing the slow boot speed time as RevoPro, CCleaner, AutoRuns, Process Explorer shows that it is not running when Windows starts...It maybe this one....

"C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\updatesrv.exe" /service

I'll check it out the nest day or two and I'll need to check also with Emsisoft HiJackFree...

I also think I should test boot speed time using other software....

Gotta go now I'm dead tired :(

---

In the firewall eventhough I have set a program to be denied connection(both outgoing/incoming) the connection still is allowed. PotPlayer and GOM Player are allowed. All I set to DENY is always allowed!!!! See images below.

BD Firewall General Rules
cz1vw76.png

PotPlayer settings
nDcUGY9.png

PotPlayer conceted to Remote Address 110.45.215.113
pBsuyz0.png

GOM Media Player settings
m4Qd1Aq.png

TjJq9ag.png

GOM Media Player connected to Remote Address 64.19.142.11
6PzL7so.png

GlaryUtilties settings
eVU5wln.png

GlaryUtilties connection to Remote Address 54.230.87.44
n1Vomfn.png

PCFlank Stealth results
TW3R3vx.png

GRC Ping Fail of BD firewall
NcJpecJ.png

Will test further next time.

--

This is what I did with no issues whats so ever. Turned off BD Firewall and using Wins 7 Firewall. Also turned off Wallet, Parental Control and Antispam feature. My internet speed is fast again.

CHECK OUT THIS REVIEW....... very explicit and easy to follow. This is what I have done and it works.........

http://www.7tutorials.com/security-...defender-internet-security-2014#comment-35890

Reactions: Raul90

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
I am back here to report on from yesterday. I mentioned that I will try to block the BitDefender Wallet Service entries below via Comodo D+>HIPS>Protected Objects>Blocked Files (as seen in the image above). Having done that I rebooted, the boot speed time clocked the same at 1.07 with Glary. The entries I disabled and deleted via HijackFree resurfaced again.

WHc1dFg.png

kSDO3SX.png

After that I was about to check CIS logs when the system froze and afterwards I got a black screen. The black screen seemd to go on forever so I restarted via the reset button. After reboot I was to check the same entries in HijackFree but the screen went black again. At this point I restarted again via the reset button and booted to SafeMode. In SafeMode I removed BitDefender AV 2014 using the BitDefender Uninstall Tool for 2014 products. I rebooted afterwards. Once BitDefender AV 2014 was removed things went back to normal. Fast boot speed time at 28sec (clocked by Glary), applications/programs would start with the same and familiar zippiness as when I do not have any BitDefender product.

gLF51tq.png

I fancied installing Avira Free as replacement to BitDefender. Now this setup (Comodo firewall with D+ and Avira -- used Premium, IS and free) is familiar to me and has been tried and tested with no issues encountered at all except when the Avira 2012 version came which seemed to be having issues with the installation / GUI).

See Avira Free and CIS GUI.

i8tzw5A.png

Boot speed time was 26sec clocked with Glary Free.

CSqWOu4.png

See Avira Free entry in Emsisoft Hijack Free.

uRWScAd.png

Autoruns with Avira.

gQWHOGk.png

Avira CIS SD Key GUI and Windows startup view

q6oph0x.png

Boot speed time with Shadow Defender and Keyscrambler added as Startup Autorun along side Avira and Comodo.

ZgWyvKo.png

Emsisoft HJF Autotuns with Avira and Keyscrambler. I have enabled SD to start with Windows and re-installed it but it still does not show in HJF.

vWQ26Qn.png

AutoRuns with CIS, AviraFree, Keycrambler and SD.

Ktii517.png

Comodo Autoruns(Killswitch) showing logon entries for CIS, AviraFree, Keycrambler and SD.

ZRnnLRV.png

After reboot with AviraFree CIS SD and Keyscrambler

0DVw327.png

So this is where I rest my experiment and I can now state that in my trial/experiment both BitDefender products namely BitDefender Internet Security and BitDefender Antivirus 2014 Plus have cause:

1. Noticeable slowdown on system installed especially when opening using programs/applications.

2. Noticeable slowdown in boot speed time with a rough addition of 30-34sec to my previous boot speed time prior BD install.

3. Custom install ONLY gives you the option to select/change the default installation. NOTHING MORE. I remember in Eset ESS and NOD32 AV that a custom install option is also the same with BD that is as mentioned allows only to change the location of the default folder installation. But in Eset when you disable the HIPS component it WILL be disabled and not run in the background unlike BD.

4. Disable/turning-off a component(BitDefender Wallet Service/Application) in the BitDefender GUI seems to have no effect as it STILL runs in the background as seen in Emsisoft HijackFree Autorun entries and Glary Utilities Free. It still resurfaces after reboot as seen in given images. This is what Mirabela was stating as "the product protecting itself...".

Emsisoft HijackFree>AutoRuns>Registry>.Default

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr

These entries identified are not seen on Systinternals AutoRuns, CCleaner and RevoPro. For the trial with BitDefender Internet Security I used RevoPro as the tool to remove/disable 2 entries found...

...disable/deleted this entries did not show them again as entries (in Systinternals AutoRuns, CCleaner and RevoPro) but was STILL reflected in Glary Utilties Free Status Manager(although there was a confusion as to what is displayed as Status:Enabled in the top portion of the StatusManager GUI and Status: stopped in the Edit/Properties at the bottom of the Glary StatusManager).

5. Blocking or restricting access/use of the BitDefender Wallet Service entries may seem to work but cannot be verified fully as the system freezes and produces a "black screen" -- may be an end result of evidence of clashing between BitDefender and Comodo D+ as BD is trying to protect itself from component manipulation/termination.

6. "Last Scan" in the GUi of both BitDefender IS and AV does not reflect any scan done eventhough there is an event log and confirmation that a scan has been completed. May be a GUI issue...

7. On BD IS firewall, even if you have set a rule for a particular program as,

Local Address: Any
Remore Address: Any
Network Type: (Check) Untrusted
Events: (Check all) Listen / Traffic / Connect
Protocol: Any
Direction: Both
IP Version: Any
Permission: DENY

or

Local Address: Any
Remore Address: Any
Network Type: (Check all) Trusted / Home/Office / Public / Untrusted
Events: (Check all) Listen / Traffic / Connect
Protocol: Any
Direction: Both
IP Version: Any
Permission: DENY

The firewall continues to allow connection (outbound) to a remote address of the program. It allows the program to call home eventhough when set at DENY and even when it is set at Untrusted or all network types are selected. BD firewall allows the connection despite the rule making the rule irrelevant. It was stated in a reply to this thread that..

There arent' much options there in the rules window for a beginner to set at...BUT I believe at the very least it should have thrown a pop-up or warning that " a program is attempting to connect to the internet" like what Comodo did with Kingsoft Presentation. If BD firewall read the rules I created as "wrong" and decided on it's own which was to allow then prior allowing the connection it should have thrown some alert or warning to me. The options for rules creating is pretty straight forward in the images provided. BD has no ruleset like that of Comodo. But Emsisoft is also like that in the firewall option. But if you set an application as "blocked" it really is blocked. Both Emsisoft and Comodo D+ can also complement help to block a trigger that deviously uses a service or an application to allow a connection. I do not find such in BD at that time...

Moreover the firewall events are not logged properly ans stays either empty or just the one's that BD autodecides on.

8. There is no way of terminating a connection in BD. I had to use Process Hacker to terminate the process itself thus terminating the connection.

9. Connection activity cannot be maximized. It is too small to see all connections activity unlike how KillSwitch or Process Hacker ./ Process Explorer offers.

10. I cannot find a way to block an program/application from "starting another program/application" as in the case of my example, AroundtheWorldin80days.exe. This game and almost all freeware pc games from MyPlaycity.com uses a trigger to launch the default browser.

11. GRC ShieldsUp and PCFlank stealth results vary but this is not an issue as long as there is no open port / closed port.

12. If I may speak frankly...."So so support"....

I believe BitDefender AV 2014 and BitDefender Internet Security are still top notch popular products(other finds them overrated but I still to cross this bridge first) but there are so many issues that loyal/ trial users have encountered that need to be assisted upon. There is an evident poor support as experienced by not only me but many. FAQ's and documentations provided are not sufficient especially with the kind I have encountered in my experiment.

BitDefender forums that has for a time been dubbed as "perpetually silent" should have been a great venue to post/solve issues but it's still "this menu has been disabled". I can't even open an account to join regardless of what news I directly obtained from BitDefender. Facebook and Support email seems to be a prefered mode of support although I believe if this is the way to go to ask for support then at the very least it should have been posted in their website. Last time I checked the Contact form buttons still do not work (It may be because I do not have BD installed anymore)and so as the BD forums. I still believe that if I have not posted in Facebook about problems with the support email / contact form, BD will not even lift a finger to check what is wrong. For one who sent an email and then been informed to use the Contact form and he discovers it's not working....what now...?

I was unsuccessful with the BitDefender Wallet Service and along the way have encountered more issues.. So I'm going back to my preferences for security and sad to say BitDefender will not be in my list. I will now end this experiment and hope that what I have shared here in MT will be of help in some way. I do now symphatize with those who have encountered issues with Bitdefender (especially those unresolved issues) and later on have moved-on to use other security products. I am still going to send an email to the given address' by BD along with whatever data that I have and check out what will their reply be...but of course I now do not have BD installed(will soon erase/format this partition after I tinker with the CISver7 + AviraFree 2014 pair after a week or so).

I now rest my case and will have BUD!

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Hi melen001 :)

Nice of you to post a breather from 7Tutorials :) I sometimes read theirs before but when I did this "experiment thing"
I missed the site from my bookmarks :)

This is what I did with no issues whats so ever. Turned off BD Firewall and using Wins 7 Firewall. Also turned off Wallet, Parental Control and Antispam feature. My internet speed is fast again.

CHECK OUT THIS REVIEW....... very explicit and easy to follow. This is what I have done and it works.........

http://www.7tutorials.com/security-...defender-internet-security-2014#comment-35890

Hmmm...it really differs where you try it out(system / settings)..etc. I did the experiment on a Windows 7 Ultimate pc (not Windows 8). And I took off from a thread that jasonX has started. This may have been a nice basis when I was trying it out.

Unfortunately, the customization is very shallow: you can only change the installation folder and a couple of other things but you can't decide which modules to install or not.
- This I find true ONLY for "you can only change the installation folder". There are NO "a couple of other things but you can't decide which modules to install or not.". The reviewer only assumed that it has that to offer. I was looking for it and it had none. I think he started on the premise that he is installing "The Product of the Year" and assumed that it is the best and the custom install is like say, Avast IS, where you can uncheck items during a custom install.

The Bitdefender firewall is the quietest module in the whole suite. Even though I scanned the test PC with several tools and network scanners, it promptly blocked everything without saying a word.

The only downside about its functioning is that you need to manually set the Network Type, so that it filters network traffic accordingly.

Unfortunately it doesn't read the network profile assigned in Windows, in order to adapt its settings.

What's interesting about Bitdefender's firewall is that its default settings are very good. Casual users don't need to fiddle with it, excepting making the change I just mentioned.

The Bitdefender firewall delivers quiet and effective protection from most threats, without annoying its users with prompts and warnings.
--No proof of an example that BD blocks unauthorized connections like the ones that I have experienced. Yes I agree that it is silent and it's easy to configure. The settings tab are not that hard but it's effectivity as when I tried it out was not as the blog said. It is silent I see but silent to the point that if I have not ran Process Hacker I would not see that GOM Player, Pot Player, Kingsoft Presentation / Glary Free has all connected to a remote address without any prompt at all and without any logs in the firewall events.

Also there is no mention there "how" to disable features and do a custom install. The blog just trusted what the BD gui tells him. Turn it off and trust that it does not run in the background. In this experiment it has been shown that the Wallet Service continues to run even when turned-off because as Mirabela said it is it's defense mechanism.

Originally posted by Mirabela
...product has its own protection mechanism and when a process is forced to stop functioning, the rest will try to fix it and re-start the initial stopped process. Also, the system has its way of fixing the corrupted files by downloading them from the server...

But I remember when I was installing BD Is that a prompt was asking me something about Windows firewall (I was not able to make a snapshot of it) but I remember denying it to favor BD firewall. I would not want Windows and BD firewall working at the same time. I think the prompt was asking me if I was to turn-off Windows firewall or use BD firewall alongside Windows firewall...not sure now.

The Network type as stated there in the blog which is a downside is incomplete because as Mirabela himself stated it will depend on the rule you set (which by the way is pretty starightforward as seen in the images) ..

Originally posted by Mirabela
...those applications will still run on any other Bitdefender Firewall profile (it doesn't have to be Unstrusted one)..

There is an image there where I "checked all" and still BD firewall allowed the connection. But of course in Windows firewall I did not try that...

(Maybe someone can post of something like a how-to on say, "How to block a program from calling home" and he'll post about it using different firewalls...Windows firewall, BD firewall or OA Premium... --just a thought there. So we can compare and at the same time learn from it :))

Also I do not like the Windows firewall(got confused with it and I do not Windows Firewall Control to augment it), not much of what I wanna set especially when you have a game like Around the World in 80 days which is stubborn and like to call home often bypassing rules you create. Even Comodo firewall cannot block that behavior. It's Comodo D+ that blocked that behavior for me and Emsisoft OA Premium Advanced settings. That feature or capability I do not see in BD firewall.

Anyway, thanks for the link and I did submitted a reply there so he may be informed that not all are like what he experienced. It really differs on where you install it and how it behaves on that system and how the user will like it based on his preferences.

This has been a wonderful share here and I learned a lot in this thread about BD it's behavior and support. I have moved-on from BD :)

Last edited:

Mirabela

Level 1
Apr 7, 2014
Hi Raul,

Having more than one security product installed on the same PC will cause incompatibility issues and the normal action of either one of them is not guaranteed.
In time they start scanning each other’s files, blocking them and the system will slow down or even crash.

Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running or drivers loaded in the background.
That is why we recommend running only one security solution on a computer.

A slow boot may indeed be caused by the anti-malware processes/drivers that try to load at startup. Usually security solutions processes are written to load amongst the first at startup. If there are 2 or more processes, there will be a conflict between them when trying to start.
Thus a test with several security solutions installed is affected and can be considered inconclusive.

In order to check this specific situation, please reply to the opened ticket that you have with our support team. Also, let's please move this discussions on the Bitdefender forum. If you are encountering issues trying to access the forum, please send us your IP (via the opened ticket) so we can check it and pinpoint the exact cause of the situation.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.