Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What is your reason to use Web-Protection/Web-filtering by Forticlient instead of using Web-Shield by Avast?
Forticlient probably has more effective web-filtering but you are more risky running into incompatibility issues between Avast and Forticlient...

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
1588421350109.png

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
In this way all web sites with good reputation are allowed (unrated,etc, blocked by default), there is no web protection in my opinion can be compared with this feature. I consider like a default deny web protection approach, only trusted site allowed. There is no incompatibility with avast with only file protection

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Chri.Mi:

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

In Virus and Malware Removal Tools, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
@Chri.Mi:

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

In Virus and Malware Removal Tools, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)
UAC Changed
I dont have any Data, i just use pc for play, watch streams,etc so there is no point to data backup
Added suggested Tools (but i still think will no be infected with my setup)
My brain is k for remember the low number of password i use xD

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
As i think you know you can choose what components you wish to install at the installation process, he may not have the Web Shield component installed or it maybe turn off, the first would element any issues between the two. Same process can be done with Forticlient, you can choose which components you want installed, but I have a feeling you already this as you're knowledgeable on this aspect.

What is your reason to use Web-Protection/Web-filtering by Forticlient instead of using Web-Shield by Avast?
Forticlient probably has more effective web-filtering but you are more risky running into incompatibility issues between Avast and Forticlient...

With backup, regardless if there is no data on there, you can still make a Image Backup encase something goes wrong, you can backup all your steam, games etc, and load it back quickly.

Extensions:
- Smart HTTPS isn't needed as all main website employ HTTPS as standard, even MWT has HTTPS by default
- Ghostery isn't needed if you already have uBlock Origin, would essentially be blocked the same ads & trackers whilst talking up more CPU
- Poper Blocker is a privacy nightmare but this is optional if you wish to keep this or not

Everything else to me looks decent, ty for sharing.

~LDogg

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
In this way all web sites with good reputation are allowed (unrated,etc, blocked by default), there is no web protection in my opinion can be compared with this feature. I consider like a default deny web protection approach, only trusted site allowed. There is no incompatibility with avast with only file protection
Great choice :)
Since you are using Chromium Edge, if one day you get into any problem, you can think about replacing FortiClient with Blocksi extension, it can also block untreated websites Blocksi Web Filter

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
As i think you know you can choose what components you wish to install at the installation process, he may not have the Web Shield component installed or it maybe turn off, the first would element any issues between the two. Same process can be done with Forticlient, you can choose which components you want installed, but I have a feeling you already this as you're knowledgeable on this aspect.

With backup, regardless if there is no data on there, you can still make a Image Backup encase something goes wrong, you can backup all your steam, games etc, and load it back quickly.

Extensions:
- Smart HTTPS isn't needed as all main website employ HTTPS as standard, even MWT has HTTPS by default
- Ghostery isn't needed if you already have uBlock Origin, would essentially be blocked the same ads & trackers whilst talking up more CPU
- Poper Blocker is a privacy nightmare but this is optional if you wish to keep this or not

Everything else to me looks decent, ty for sharing.

~LDogg
I use Macrium for backup daily, so i am covered with data (that for me is not so important). Full backup on sunday, differential others days. How i replied on other thread, i use 2 local disk 1 for S.O. 1 for backup. So i can restore from normal Windows access, from wim image if my windows become inaccessible, and if i have to format i install windows again and macrium and recover from backup partition.
Extensions:
Some sites i use for watch streams work only on http so i just whitelist to use http and force https on rest.
I may wrong but i read in this site ghostery have some sort of autolearn mechanism for block tracker and pubblicity, so i disabled all them by default (with option to block all new trackers).
Ublock origin is with 0 filters just for some cosmetics errors made by ghostery.
I am talking of popup blocker strict not poper blocker, are u sure we are talking the same product?

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I use Macrium for backup daily, so i am covered with data (that for me are not so important). Full backup on sunday, differential others days. How i replied on others threads, i use 2 local disk 1 for S.O. 1 for backup. So i can restore from normal Windows access, from wim image if my windows become inaccessible, and if i have to format i install windows again and macrium and recover from backup partition.
Extensions:
Some sites i use for streams work only on http so i just whitelist to use http and force https on rest.
I may wrong but i read in this site ghostery have some sort of autolearn mechanism for block tracker and pubblicity, so i disabled all them by default (with option to block all new trackers).
Ublock origin is with 0 filters just for some cosmetics errors made by ghostery.
I am talking of popup blocker strict not poper blocker, are u sure we are talking the same product?
I'm very tired and misread you, you don't have poper blocker on there, I do apologies.
uBlock Orgin imo would be a better adblocker than Ghostery by itself, but this is up to you in order of the way you would like your system to be.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Hehe dont worry Ldogg,
Honestly if i use ublock with all filters enabled there are always much more banners, ads, then just with ghostery.

View attachment 238550

If i understand correctly ghostery have some sort of heuristics (in some way better then privacy badger) for block tracking. Or i am wrong?

Check this out and happy learning :)

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Thk u, but i dont like much to use those custom rules, many site use third party items, so make 50x or more rules is not what i am looking for, is the same reason why i dont use noscript, even if it can give more granular control. The extensions i use give me a perfect results without much work.

Added Popper Stopper Pro for block some popunder

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Thk u, but i dont like much to use those custom rules, many site use third party items, so make 50x or more rules is not what i am looking for, is the same reason why i dont use noscript, even if it can give more granular control. The extensions i use give me a perfect results without much work.

Ah alright sir, i think AdGuard is right for you its easy to use it. disable uBlock Origin and install AdGuard and see if they block ads, banner, etc :)

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Adguard fail to block some Antiadblocker mechanism, even if i try to manual select them.
One example are site that ublock can filter like this
blablabla > div:nth-of-type(3)

Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.