New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Recently I switched from Nano Adblocker to uBlock Origin with Nano Defender integration because it's a more efficient, faster alternative. I thought I'd start this thread since there is no dedicated one on the forum for those who use either of these adblockers in Medium or Easy Mode to post configurations, questions or issues and encourage further discussion. The first thing thing any user should know is how to use uBlock Origin's built-in, often overlooked features. These include a right-click context menu icon to create custom rules and other features which are available in uBO's drop-down GUI, including:

- element picker
- element zapper
- logger (to create rules)
- disable pop-ups
- disable large media elements
- disable cosmetic filtering
- disable remote fonts
- disable javascript

uBO is a content blocker which also happens to be an adblocker. My preference is to use it in advanced user Medium Mode for blocking 3rd party scripts & frames because it is secure, fast and very efficient. Most web pages are fully usable with no more than one or two clicks. Medium Mode transofrms uBO from a simple adblocker into a virtual browser firewall, protecting from malicious ads, redirects, etc., and is developer Raymond Hill's preferred mode for usability and security. Using it this way also enables one to a very small number of filter lists to keep uBO light and efficient. I recommend first watching the video and referring to the uBO wiki afterward, or as needed. With a ltttle bit of experience using Medium Mode you will find it is quite simple to use. I realize this mode does not fit everyone's browsing style and for those folks there is Easy Mode. Easy Mode users can also benefit from this thread by learning more about uBO's built-in features.

My wish is for this thread to become a clearinghouse for all uBO/Nano Adblocker users to share their experience with others. Please post your preferences, tips, questions or issues here so we might learn something new without having to search all over the forum! (y):)

The uBlock Origin user guide may be found here: gorhill/uBlock. The very best tutorial on using uBO (or Nano Adblocker) is here:

Other useful threads are here:
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Last edited:

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Just want to point out that a common mistake from uBO users is using too many additional filter lists. It's quite inefficient and can even slowing down your browsing speed.

Unlike most adblockers out there, uBO has granular design. You just need to use advanced-medium mode to get the best out of it. Sure it takes some time to learn and get used to it. But I can assure you, it's worth the efforts.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just want to point out that a common mistake from uBO users is using too many additional filter lists. It's quite inefficient and can even slowing down your browsing speed.

Unlike most adblockers out there, uBO has granular design. You just need to use advanced-medium mode to get the best out of it. Sure it takes some time to learn and get used to it. But I can assure you, it's worth the efforts.
It depends on how you use your browser.

If you follow the guidelines in browser compartmentalization the "everyday browser" should

You can go all out with your privacy settings on your “everyday browser”: Block all cookies, scripts, and trackers, and always use in it incognito mode. That’s because you won’t be logging into any sites that require cookies or scripts to be enabled to work

Unquote

Yah, arm it to the fullest as long as you don't see an obvious slowdown in your browsing speed.

Read here

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, thank you very much for creating this theme. I have several custom filters and I am amazed with their result. Regards.
ublock.jpg

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hey, thanks for opening this thread, oldschool! I'm not an advanced user but I find Nano to be very competent in Edge.old at defaults. Does anyone have any filter suggestions for Nano over and above what it already offers out of the box? Same for uBlock O, but not using this at the moment.

I clink on links sometimes, in a context of people posting links to various sites for computer builds, parts and accessories. Nano has blocked a few, including one adware.

Edit: Here is my settings page for Nano/Edge. Aren't there some additional filter/s that should be imported? I recall seeing this somewhere but it's needle/haystack. Anyone?

nano filters.PNG

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hey, thanks for opening this thread, oldschool! I'm not an advanced user but I find Nano to be very competent in Edge.old at defaults. Does anyone have any filter suggestions for Nano over and above what it already offers out of the box? Same for uBlock O, but not using this at the moment.

I clink on links sometimes, in a context of people posting links to various sites for computer builds, parts and accessories. Nano has blocked a few, including one adware.

I don't have any suggestions for added filters. I used default filters only in old Edge but used built-in Malvertising by Disconnect instead of default malware filters. I don't suggest added filters in old Edge because: 1. you have Smartscreen protection built in for malware, and 2. you use Nano in Easy mode so you only need adblocking filters. I see in your security configuration you have Emsi browser extension for old Edge (I presume), which is unnecessary because of #1 above. Less extensions = less attack surface. I would just keep it in Chrome, or move to Edge Dev Chromium and you have Smartscreen again. It's very solid. (y)

BTW: I have moved completely to Edge Dev version, in part, because both Nano and uBO are broken (on my system) in old Edge on 1809.

Edit: My uBO setup in Brave Beta and Edge Dev are default built-in filters (except malware filters as explained above) and Nano filters (except Nano whitelist) installed with one easy tweak which you can find here: Integrate Nano Defender with uBlock Origin to block Anti-Adblocker - gHacks Tech News. Fast and light!

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is there really a point to having Nano Defender? I have been navigating the Internet without it and I've been fine. I remember there was a time when it was useful but the standalone filters in uBlock Origin now block all anti-adblock mechanisms.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is there really a point to having Nano Defender? I have been navigating the Internet without it and I've been fine. I remember there was a time when it was useful but the standalone filters in uBlock Origin now block all anti-adblock mechanisms.

Do you mean Nano Defender extension or ND filters? Or both? :unsure:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't have any suggestions for added filters. I used default filters only in old Edge but used built-in Malvertising by Disconnect instead of default malware filters. I don't suggest added filters in old Edge because: 1. you have Smartscreen protection built in for malware, and 2. you use Nano in Easy mode so you only need adblocking filters. I see in your security configuration you have Emsi browser extension for old Edge (I presume), which is unnecessary because of #1 above. Less extensions = less attack surface. I would just keep it in Chrome, or move to Edge Dev Chromium and you have Smartscreen again. It's very solid. (y)

BTW: I have moved completely to Edge Dev version, in part, because both Nano and uBO are broken (on my system) in old Edge on 1809.

Edit: My uBO setup in Brave Beta and Edge Dev are default built-in filters (except malware filters as explained above) and Nano filters (except Nano whitelist) installed with one easy tweak which you can find here: Integrate Nano Defender with uBlock Origin to block Anti-Adblocker - gHacks Tech News. Fast and light!
On the old Edge only AdGuard works for me but with a slight delay on the cosmetic filters.
Hope they will release the new Edge soon to replace it...

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm using neither right now and I haven't noticed a difference.

I just recently started using uBO again so I'll check that out..Thanks.

@plat1098 - If you haven't already done so, I suggest trying out some of the other features available in any mode, e.g. the context mnenu "Block element" feature. Creating rules with this feature is easy to use and it's perfect for blocking things like banners.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You are right, DeepWeb, like extensions and security software, best not to pile on the filters. My above list has a few filters over default enabled but this hasn't impeded browsing at all in Edge. When I re-install Firefox sometime, it's uBlock Origin all the way. I'm devoted to that extension. oldschool, I'll take a look at creating rules like you suggested. Thanks!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Edit: Here is my settings page for Nano/Edge. Aren't there some additional filter/s that should be imported? I recall seeing this somewhere but it's needle/haystack. Anyone?

I would enable the 2 built-in annoyance filters.

Personally, I found Fanboy's annoyance list too strict and enable the one form AdGuard.
HpHosts list is a massive one and I don't have that enabled.
Depending on your real-time security solution you could also disable the 2 malware domains lists.

These are the settings and my filters used with uBlock Origin:

Aantekening 2019-05-04 181115.png Aantekening 2019-05-04 191116.png

I'm also blocking 3rd party frames:
And for now, the only exception is youtube (* youtube.com * noop).

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Being a lefty forced to write with my right hand at schools (yes I am that old), I tend look differently at things than most people. Not surprisingly I have figured out a light intermediate mode, which breaks less websites as MEDIUM mode (blocking third-party frames and scripts) and I dare to say is safer than the default EASY mode (only blocking 3p-frames) many people use.

Thanks to feedback of members see the improved post explaining it all: Discuss - uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - user tips, questions and issues thread

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.