New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Windows_Security Is it possible to export the site permissions from chrome to a file?
For example, I added some sites with .eu, .info, .ninja :D, .nu, .tv, my internet modem and some non-https sites and would regret to lose those settings.
Navigate wih explorer to your profile folder. When you have not renamed it and you are using Google's Chrome, it should be located:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData\Default

There you find two files, one is called "Preferences" (without the " ") and the other "Secure Preferences". The site settings are in the Preferences file. I also copy Secure Preferences because it is a sort of reference file to check if something has messed with your settings. Copy them both to a safe place.

You can check whether this works by copying those two files to a safe location. Create a new profile and check the site settings. Close the browser. Next copy (and overwrite) those saved two files to the new profile. Open the browser again to check whether the site settings are changed (and identical to your original/default profile).

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
As far as I know DuckDuckGo is the only search engine which has an option to exclude advertisements (and tracking). To subvert the other search engine's I have added some Adblock rules in MyFilters section of uBlock0rigin. When you copy the rules below into My Filters, the static block rules turn red and the cosmetic suppress rules turn blue.

My Filters
!
! Block Google result page advertisements (and image tags/beacons)
!
google.*##.fbar
google.*###taw
||pagead2.googlesyndication.com
||adservice.google.*/adsid/*$image
||google.*/gen_204*$image,other
||id.google.*$image
||ssl.gstatic.com/gb/images/*$image
||metric.gstatic.com$image
!
! Block Startpage result page advertisements
!
||adservice.startpage.com
||startpage.com/js/abp.js^$script
||startpage.com/gp/wg/afs/ads^$subdocument
||startpage.com/adsense/search/async-ads.js^$script
!
! Block search engines I don't use (so only block third-party)
!
||bing.com$third-party
||yandex.com$third-party
||yahoo.com$third-party
!

Last edited:

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Hey Guys, just curious if anybody has had issues with uBlock not holding any settings when used with Firefox? Both Firefox and uBlock are at the latest versions and I have no other add-ons installed. Other than that Firefox works very well and fast. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reactions: oldschool

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Hey Guys, just curious if anybody has had issues with uBlock not holding any settings when used with Firefox? Both Firefox and uBlock are at the latest versions and I have no other add-ons installed. Other than that Firefox works very well and fast. Any suggestions? Thanks
I don't have that issue but I'm on Firefox 67. This could be due to recent add-ons disappearing bug. Did you try to reinstall uBlock?

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
yes I reinstalled uBlock, restarted Firefox, reapplied my settings in uBlock and restarted Firefox again. Then checked my settings and like before, they were changed again. Could this be a profile issue?

yea I had that recent add-ons disappearing bug, but updated Firefox and the bug was fixed. or was it? I don't think there is any relation as there would be more similar complaints. That is why I was thinking this might be related to my profile. I guess I could rebuild my profile and see what happens but would prefer a more concrete solution.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I don't think there is any relation as there would be more similar complaints.

@SumTingWong has the same issue here: Q&A - Something wrong with Ublock Origin on Google Chrome

I haven't used FF in quite some time so I can't comment on this issue. I'd guess it's a browser issue. :unsure::unsure:

Edit: It might be an issue with cacheStorageAPI, or related to the disabled extension fixes Mozilla pushed. Be aware that not all users were/are affected and user experiences with this issue and fixes may be different as well. Are you on Mozilla forum or reddit/firefox/ublock? I would check there and maybe at Wilders as a lot of their members use FF.

Last edited:

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Thanks for the info as I am not on either of those forums but will be tonight as well as Wilders. I didn't realize there were that many Firefox users on Wilders as it's been a long time since I've been there.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Unlike most adblockers out there, uBO has granular design. You just need to use advanced-medium mode to get the best out of it. Sure it takes some time to learn and get used to it. But I can assure you, it's worth the efforts.

I believe that many users have not tried medium mode, have not watched the video tutorial or have gotten scared off from using it during initial use due to site breakage. One of the important tips from the video is to first block 3rd party scripts & frames and then go to websites that feature Google, FB, Twitter, etc. and globally block those privacy invaders. (Remember to set "noop" rule when using these sites and "services" :LOL: ).

Then the new (or newer) advanced user who is frustrated fixing a broken site can simply fall back to Easy Mode + with one or two "noop" clicks while still enjoying the advantages of a small number of filter lists and the user's globally blocked 3rd parties/annoyances/privacy violators. As time goes on, one becomes more skilled yet always has this easy and effective fallback option but needs it less often.

My browsing speed and page loading skyrocketed when I got the hang of this. It's not rocket science. And as I like to say, "If @oldschool can do it, anyone can do it!" (y)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
You can also use EASY-MEDIUM normal mode as illustrated by these screen shots. You DON'T need to run/use uBlock in advanced mode.

As said 95% of the malware comes from insecure unencrypted websites. For getting a HTTPS certificate on your website, your hosting partner should perform a basic background check (in Netherlands a valid bank account and payment received is sufficient). Malware writers rather choose the easy way and launch their malware from HTTP websites.

1. BLOCK THIRD-PARTY WEB REQUESTS with uBlock MY FILTERS (or AdBlock/Adguard custom rules)

2. BLOCK FIRST & THIRD PARTY FROM INSECURE WEBSITES with Chrome's JavaScript Site Permissions (only ALLOW HTTPS://*)
1557470821960.png

Chrome will warn you when it blocks javascript in the browser. You can decide to allow when you want to visit that website, (allow first party). When you allow, the My Filter rules still protects you for webrequests to third party insecure websites.

3. PREVENT DOWNLOAD OF PROGRAMS WITH CHROME FLAG FROM INSECURE WEBSITES (to prevent drive by infections)

4 USE YOUR BROWSERS BAD-URL PROTECTION (Edge SmartScreen or Chrome's Safe Browsing)
When you use your browsers URL protection and block risky stuff from HTTP websites, you really don't need an extension of another AV or the bloated uBlock malware (domain) filters.

5. INSTALL NETCRAFT EXTENSION AGAINST PHISING AND SOME EXTRA CROSS SITE SCRIPTING PROTECTION.
Netcraft claims to protect against over 60 million active phising sites and performs well in the tests of @Evjl's Rain.I think it complements M$ Smartscreen and Google's Safe Browsing blocklists/reputation rating well (with the additional benefit of extra XSS protection)

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have Firefox and Google Chrome with Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere extensions and both browser extensions have the same settings, but for some reason Ublock Origin on Chrome only block 24 or 23% when I'm on Crunchyroll and the videos show ads compare to Firefox Ublock Origin blocked 40 or 29% and no ads in the video on Crunchyroll.

I have tried clear browser cache, cookies, and everything and I also reinstalled Ublock Origin and no luck. I also tried reinstall Chrome and no luck. What is going on? I was shocked when I see ads displayed in the video on Crunchyroll in Chrome with Ublock Origin.

Video uploaded here: Test 1 - Streamable

There is not actual pause button in the video so you have to double click the video for pause.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
I have Firefox and Google Chrome with Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere extensions and both browser extensions have the same settings, but for some reason Ublock Origin on Chrome only block 24 or 23% when I'm on Crunchyroll and the videos show ads compare to Firefox Ublock Origin blocked 40 or 29% and no ads in the video on Crunchyroll.

I have tried clear browser cache, cookies, and everything and I also reinstalled Ublock Origin and no luck. I also tried reinstall Chrome and no luck. What is going on? I was shocked when I see ads displayed in the video on Crunchyroll in Chrome with Ublock Origin.

Video uploaded here: Test 1 - Streamable

There is not actual pause button in the video so you have to double click the video for pause.
Check if Ublock will block those video ads on default settings? Disable all Custom filters and dynamic blocking.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I went back to SmartAdBlock. There is something about uBlock and Nano during page loading that causes YouTube videos to stutter. I'm not experiencing this with SmartAdBlock. :/

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.