New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I did but it still don't block ads in the video.

I don't understand why you use "allow" rules when dynamic filtering and you're blocking 3rd party scripts & frames. I only use "noop" rules to configure a website in medium mode. This method hasn't failed me yet. I suggest using "noop" rules only, starting with a "noop" rule for your 1st party domain. You can see my detailed post on your other thread.

Here's my newest ultra-light filter list for medium mode users. Try it, you'll like it. (y)

uBO_static_ 2019-05-14 211437.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't understand why you use "allow" rules when dynamic filtering and you're blocking 3rd party scripts & frames. I only use "noop" rules to configure a website in medium mode. This method hasn't failed me yet. I suggest using "noop" rules only, starting with a "noop" rule for your 1st party domain. You can see my detailed post on your other thread.

Here's my newest ultra-light filter list for medium mode users. Try it, you'll like it. (y)

View attachment 213608
Only use allow as last resort when a site simply won't function without that rule.
Use noop.
request can be blocked (block), allowed (allow), or ignored (noop). A noop rule will cause matching network requests to be ignored by the dynamic filtering engine, but those ignored network requests will still be subjected to static filtering (filter lists).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, that is the recommended way to use dynamic blocking. I wish I had known @SumTingWong was using 'allow' earlier. It might have saved him some trouble.
That's the problem with advanced options...
If you don't really understand them there is always the risk of doing it wrong or complicate things unnecessarily.
So it's always a good thing to do some research first and/or ask when in doubt questions at MalwareTips or other forums.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That's the problem with advanced options...
If you don't really understand them there is always the risk of doing it wrong or complicate things unnecessarily.
So it's always a good thing to do some research first and/or ask when in doubt questions at MalwareTips or other forums.

I quite agree. My journey with uBO began with the video and dev's website and I have referred often to the uBO wiki, but there is no way around some trial and error with these apps. I have complicated it for myself at times as well. I was and remain put off by uMatrix, NoScript and others because I see they take even more knowledge and skill than I have the patience to develop. Even so, when I have dabbled in those other apps it has motivated me to return to uBO and learn how to extract the most from it. In the end, every seeker must find his own way! Thank goodness MT and other forums are available to us.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I quite agree. My journey with uBO began with the video and dev's website and I have referred often to the uBO wiki, but there is no way around some trial and error with these apps. I have complicated it for myself at times as well. I was and remain put off by uMatrix, NoScript and others because I see they take even more knowledge and skill than I have the patience to develop. Even so, when I have dabbled in those other apps it has motivated me to return to uBO and learn how to extract the most from it. In the end, every seeker must find his own way! Thank goodness MT and other forums are available to us.

But I still don't know what the heck is wrong with Chrome UBO version. This never happened in the past since the day I switched from Adblock Plus to UBO.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In medium mode, you still see the cookie messages if you dont enable cookielists like fanboys, or i dont care cookies as example... @oldschool how do you play with those? Just block the cookie element?

Yes, I started using the "Block element" feature fairly recently and have trimmed my filter list, so I just create the filters I need for cookie pop-ups, etc.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I just love the "Block element" context menu function. It makes cleaning up website trash so easy. Point > click > preview > create = new filter. No technical skill needed. What's not to like? (y)

After doing investigation why there are ads in Crunchyroll videos is because Crunchyroll is using a new video player with anti-adblocker feature. There is one user review on Ublock Origin Google Chrome version has the same problem as I do.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
After doing investigation why there are ads in Crunchyroll videos is because Crunchyroll is using a new video player with anti-adblocker feature. There is one user review on Ublock Origin Google Chrome version has the same problem as I do.

This new Crunchyroll anti-adblocker is diabolical. It's just wrong.

I think maybe @Windows_Security knows the developer. If Crunchyroll gets added to uBO Extra.... would that solve the issue?

I was just about to start a 10-hour Crunchyroll Marathon (10CM).

Crunchyroll must not be stopped.

Thank goodness Oldschool is here to slay the purveyors of evil Crunchyroll-interrupting-ads. Oldschool will not rest until this new menace is defeated and pummeled into submission.

Viva la Oldschool.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
This new Crunchyroll anti-adblocker is diabolical. It's just wrong.

I think maybe @Windows_Security knows the developer. If Crunchyroll gets added to uBO Extra.... would that solve the issue?

I was just about to start a 10-hour Crunchyroll Marathon (10CM).

Crunchyroll must not be stopped.

Thank goodness Oldschool is here to slay the purveyors of evil Crunchyroll-interrupting-ads. Oldschool will not rest until this new menace is defeated and pummeled into submission.

Viva la Oldschool.

View attachment 213942

If UBO can block ads in the new video player Crunchyroll is using than I am in. I think other websites perhaps Youtube will using new video player to bypass adblockers.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
uBO-Extra
A companion extension to uBlock Origin: to gain the ability to foil early anti-user mechanisms working around content blockers or even a browser privacy settings.

The extension is useful only for Chromium-based browsers. There is no need for such an extension so far on Firefox, and thus there is no version for Firefox.

See "Sites on which uBO-Extra is useful".

Installation
Manually, using your browser's "Load unpacked extension..." feature:
  • Download latest version (.zip) from Releases.
  • Go to Extensions, check "Developer mode".
  • Click "Load unpacked extension...", select the zip file you downloaded above.
  • Keep in mind you will have to update manually when a new version is released.

To foil hostile anti-user mechanisms used to work around content blockers or even privacy settings in a browser.
Instart Logic's technology used to disguise third-party network requests as first-party network requests, including the writing/reading of third-party cookies as first-party cookies. I consider this to be extremely hostile to users, even those not using a content blocker, as it allows third-party servers to read/write cookies even if a user chose to block 3rd-party cookies through your browser setting.
The company behind the technology understands how hostile its technology is to users, and thus tries to hide what is being done by making it difficult to investigate by detecting whether the browser's developer console is opened, and when it detects it is opened, it ceases completely to make use of the obfuscation mechanism. The developer console-detecting code works only for Chromium-based browsers, however, and therefore the obfuscation technology is not used when using Firefox (a different web page is served for Firefox).

The extension has no interactive UI, just an icon in the toolbar to remind it's enabled.

Your browser should allow you to hide the icon if it annoys you. Use uBlock Origin's logger if you want to see and possibly filter WebSocket connections made visible by uBO-Extra.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, it's terrible. I was just trying to watch, and I keep getting ads for "Top Dollar Pawn. It's got it going on."

View attachment 213944

This hostile assault on Crunchyroll will not stand.

Then open a Crunchyroll thread to wage your assault on evil! I'm auto-moderating this subject closed! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If UBO can block ads in the new video player Crunchyroll is using than I am in. I think other websites perhaps Youtube will using new video player to bypass adblockers.
View attachment 213943

Did you try configuring CR with dynamic filtering?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, I don't know Raymond Hill, we have emailed in the past on some feature requests (on GitHub).

When I use uBlock in Edge-chromium beta on with only my top200 filter, I don't see any ads. I added my uBlock backup so you can try it out (don;t forget to save/backup your settings first, so you can easily revert back).

Attachments

• my-ublock-backup_Kees.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Hi, I don't know Raymond Hill, we have emailed in the past on some feature requests (on GitHub).

When I use uBlock in Edge-chromium beta on with only my top200 filter, I don't see any ads. I added my uBlock backup so you can try it out (don;t forget to save/backup your settings first, so you can easily revert back).

I'm going to try The Windows_Security 200. Thanks.

Theoretically, if Crunchyroll were added to uBlock Origin Extra, could it address the ads -- as you understand it?

I use uBO Extra. And although the list of applicable sites only has a few that I regularly visit, it's still a benefit.

And as always, thanks for your expertise and input.

---------

This article on the ad-wars is kinda intersting...

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Instream video ads are hard to tackle, according to eBo-companion (uBO+)info it adds the capability to monitor WebSocket requests. So when they "mix' the ads in the video (like instream mid-roll ads) using WebSocket bypass trick as explained in uBO+ purpose then Yes it would do the trick. Alternatively when their video player pulls video's and ads from the same content delivery network than I don't know how an adblocker could intercept this (because it is same domain for adblocker and the adblocker would know what specific locations the ads are stored). Maybe I have not watched Crunchyroll long enough, but I did not notice ads, so I am in the dark on this.

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Probably a simple solution here, but I'm too dense to figure it out.

Often I get an unwanted video popout window that locates itself in the lower right corner of the browser. When I select uBlock's "Block element", uBlock's blocking window appears directly over the video I'm trying to eradicate... so when I click "Preview" I'm unable to see the effect that uBlock offers.

How can I relocate uBlock's window in these circumstances so it does not overlay the element I'm trying to remove.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Probably a simple solution here, but I'm too dense to figure it out.

Often I get an unwanted video popout window that locates itself in the lower right corner of the browser. When I select uBlock's "Block element", uBlock's blocking window appears directly over the video I'm trying to eradicate... so when I click "Preview" I'm unable to see the effect that uBlock offers.

How can I relocate uBlock's window in these circumstances so it does not overlay the element I'm trying to remove.

I doubt that you can, but I've never needed to or tried.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.