Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
GitHub: GitHub - uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home: All uBlock Origin Lite-related issues (including filter-related ones) go here

Description​

uBO Lite (uBOL), a permission-less MV3 API-based content blocker.

uBOL is entirely declarative, meaning there is no need for a permanent uBOL process for the filtering to occur, and CSS/JS injection-based content filtering is performed reliably by the browser itself rather than by the extension. This means that uBOL itself does not consume CPU/memory resources while content blocking is ongoing -- uBOL's service worker process is required only when you interact with the popup panel or the option pages.

uBOL does not require broad "read/modify data" permission at install time, hence its limited capabilities out of the box compared to uBlock Origin or other content blockers requiring broad "read/modify data" permissions at install time.

However, [...]
uBOL allows you to explicitly grant extended permissions on specific sites of your choice so that it can better filter on those sites using declarative cosmetic and scriptlet injections.

To grant extended permissions on a given site, open the popup panel and pick a higher filtering mode such as Optimal or Complete.

uBOL's popup panel: no permission

The browser will then warn you about the effects of granting the additional permissions requested by the extension on the current site, and you will have to tell the browser whether you accept or decline the request:

uBOL's popup panel: browser warning

If you accept uBOL's request for additional permissions on the current site, it will be able to better filter content for the current site:

uBOL's popup panel: permissions to inject content

You can set the default filtering mode from uBOL's options page. If you pick the Optimal or Complete mode as the default one, you will need to grant uBOL the permission to modify and read data on all websites:

uBOL's options: Default filtering mode

The default ruleset corresponds to at least uBlock Origin's default filterset:
  • uBlock Origin's built-in filter lists
  • EasyList
  • EasyPrivacy
  • Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list
You can add more rulesets by visiting the options page -- click the Cogs icon in the popup panel.

Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, with these end goals:
  • No broad host permissions at install time -- extended permissions are granted explicitly by the user on a per-site basis.
  • Entirely declarative for reliability and CPU/memory efficiency.

Changelog​

See Releases section. Previous releases can be found in Releases section of uBlock repo.

Issues​

All uBO Lite-related issues (including filter-related ones) go here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I will test. I hope, it is better.
Better than what?
Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, with these end goals:
  • No broad host permissions at install time -- extended permissions are granted explicitly by the user on a per-site basis.
  • Entirely declarative for reliability and CPU/memory efficiency.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Important for everyone consider to try out uBO Lite, it's a very simple basic version and can't be really compared in functionality to the original uBO.
@Gandalf_The_Grey shared first and @Max90 mentioned this comment from developer @gorhill:

For me personally, uBO Lite does work good enough in most cases (but no feature available for custom cosmetic filtering like element picker) I always use Filtering Mode: Complete.

lite#1.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_2023.10.3.896 released on GitHub:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_2023.10.12.904 Pre-release

Installation​

The extension will auto-update when a new version is published.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

uBOLite_2023.10.21.720​

Release notes​

Installation​

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Unless I am mistaken, implementation of manifest V3 / UBO Lite will prevent UBO updating its filters often enough to keep up with YouTube's adblocker detection script?
You're right. That's already the case, actually. Before YouTube started cracking down on ad blockers, uBOL used to block YouTube ads on Optimal, but I tried it a couple of days ago and it now fails to block them even on Complete.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Here for me with latest version uBO_Light in complete mode and all possible filters, no ads at all on YouTube, neither before videos starting nor between videos👍
Really, I never saw this new notifications to turn-off adblockers, I dunno what is the reason, maybe users location or something else 🤷‍♂️

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_2023.11.4.95 released on GitHub, this version should be already available for Firefox via addons auto-update...

Release notes​

Installation​

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Unless I am mistaken, implementation of manifest V3 / UBO Lite will prevent UBO updating its filters often enough to keep up with YouTube's adblocker detection script?
Static rules are only updated when the extensions is updated. The dynamic rules (5000 maximum) can be updated by the extensions using the declarativeNetRequest.updateDynamicRules. When you add custom filters in AdGuardMv3, they are visible in the dynamic rule count section of Mv3.

So Gorhill could import and update the uBO Quick Fixes and Unbreak filters at extension start (see picture together below 5000) but then he needs to add a second rule engine and he wants to keep it simple, so that ship will never sail. This shows the advantage of AdGuard's approach (developing re-useable engine components suitable for their DNS, Apps and extensions). Gorhill could use AdGuard's rule engine since it is opensource.

1699089845695.png

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_2023.11.11.1035 released on GitHub, this version is already available for Firefox.

Release notes​

Installation​

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Important for everyone consider to try out uBO Lite, it's a very simple basic version and can't be really compared in functionality to the original uBO.

For me personally, uBO Lite does work good enough in most cases (but no feature available for custom cosmetic filtering like element picker) I always use Filtering Mode: Complete.
Valid notice and remark Silversurfer (y) allow me to add some benefits of this limitation.

Due to the uBOL developer's clear (and rigid) design principles, uBOL also opens an option to use UBOL alongside AdGuard Mv3.

uBOL in BASIC mode uses the browser's build-in filtering engine, meaning it uses zero (non, niente, nada) CPU cycles, but the downside of ManifestV3 static rules is that they are ONLY updated when the extension is updated. The only rules which are update-able by the extension itself (usually when the extension is started using declarativeNetRequest.updateDynamicRules) are the Manfest V3 dynamic rules. The downside of dynamic rules is that they are limited to 5000 dynamic rules). AG Mv3 offers an import of filters and writing your own user rules which AG Mv3 stores in the dynamic rules. This opens the option to use uBol (static rules) and AG Mv3 (dynamic rules) alongside of each other.

I normally run uBOL in BASIC mode while I have disabled all build-in (static filters) in AG Mv3. On ad infested websites I just move the uBOL slider to COMPLETE and remove any leftovers with AG Mv3 add sniper (cross-hair icon "Block ads on this website")

1699892190438.png

1699893615464.png

1699893353227.png

youtube.com##+js(set-constant, ytInitialPlayerResponse.adPlacements, undefined)
youtube.com##+js(set-constant, playerResponse.adPlacements, undefined)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, [].playerResponse.adPlacements [].playerResponse.playerAds playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds)

1699891245373.png

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just noticed on my Firefox this new update: uBOLite_2023.11.19.977

Release notes​

Installation​

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.