Advice Request Chrome is telling me to remove malwarebytes

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I just looking at MBAM forum and found this thread: Chrome is telling me to remove malwarebytes
I verified and saw that Chrome give me the same advertising message: Remove MBAM because it could cause Chrome crash:eek:
Is anyone aware of this anomaly?
MBAMChrome.PNG

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
No anomalies. Security software with real-time protection inject browsers in order to "protect them". This applies to general antivirus, even the latest version of MalwareBytes. These kind of injections usually break browsers built-in security and several times generates crashes and makes the development of security features more complex to browser developers.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Thanks @Azure Phoenix for this very interesting article(y)
No anomalies. Security software with real-time protection inject browsers in order to "protect them". This applies to general antivirus, even the latest version of MalwareBytes. These kind of injections usually break browsers built-in security and several times generates crashes and makes the development of security features more complex to browser developers.
Hello @RoboMan ,
This article tell that many AV are concerned ("Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Eset, Emsisoft, and AVG, IOBit, Avast") and also that "Phase 3 is starting in January 2019 with Chrome 72 and will automatically block the code injection from these programs".
So my ingenuous question is to know if the "blocked" AV will continue to protect me when I use Chrome for visiting website and shopping on Internet ?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Chrome is slowly rolling out updates to their browser to block third party injections to increase stability, most AVs rely on these third party injections to properly scan URLs and block malicious ones. On the down side these thirds party injections are usually the main reason a browser crashes, therefore chrome is going to prevent it entirely by blocking it.

I personally disabled by browser injection in Kaspersky because it was messing with one of the school's websites and giving errors whenever I logged on to it. Seeing the chrome is going to block it entirely soon I would think that AVs are going to find a new and better way of properly blocking malicious URLs from now on.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Just noticed the following. Reading here I decided to see what would happen if I add the 360 safe extension for 360 TS. The exact second I pressed the button in Chrome to add the extension->bluescreen. Also, when the PC rebooted, neither the Comodo Firewall widget nor Qihoo 360 started with the PC and their links on the desktop were dead. Comodo process may have been running->probably was, but I forgot to check. Not sure about 360 either though. Both these apps seem to run even in the situation no matter what and also protect.

I have an image from 2 days ag,o so I restored from that, and everything is fine. This 360 extension seems to have some craziness associated to it and must be doing some kind of injecting. Seems Chrome isn't fully enforcing this yet, or maybe I would say the blue screen was directly related to this issue. Hard to believe it's not connected somehow though.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello RoboMan
This article tell that many AV are concerned ("Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Eset, Emsisoft, and AVG, IOBit, Avast") and also that "Phase 3 is starting in January 2019 with Chrome 72 and will automatically block the code injection from these programs".
So my ingenuous question is to know if the "blocked" AV will continue to protect me when I use Chrome for visiting website and shopping on Internet ?
If Google (highlight on the brand name) is able to handle your security on the browser they created, trust me, they will do a better job than your AV, which can still protect you from the downloads once you have downloaded the file with it's context scan, on-execution scan, or automatic scan on new files. As for phishing and malware URLs, Chrome is integrating with ESET which has one of the best web filters on history.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Good thing I chose to use Edge.

"Chrome dev here. This is related to a new feature that aims to prevent third party software from injecting into Chrome's processes and interfering with its code. This type of software injection is rampant on the Windows platform, and causes significant stability issues (crashes). The Microsoft Edge browser already does this kind of blocking, and we are in the process of making Chrome behave similarly. What you are seeing is the warning phase of year-long effort to enable blocking, originally announced in November 2017."

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Google are lashing out at security solution vendors because they don't want people tampering with Google Chrome. A common form of tampering which Google are not fond of would be Remote Code Execution (RCE).

Question:
Are you using the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit component and is it set to work with Google Chrome? If so, this could be the cause of the warning for you, because this will cause either mbae.dll (32-bit DLL) or mbae64.dll (64-bit DLL) to be injected into the Anti-Exploit monitored process. Unless they've changed things and now do it with their web protection component.

I doubt Malwarebytes will be injecting into Google Chrome for web protection component because last time I checked the web protection has a system-wide scope and was not explicit to the web-browser process only; this is also why Malwarebytes can interfere with the connections on-going in a Virtual Machine Guest environment.

If I remember correctly, Malwarebytes use WFP to filter connections for the web protection.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Just noticed the following. Reading here I decided to see what would happen if I add the 360 safe extension for 360 TS. The exact second I pressed the button in Chrome to add the extension->bluescreen. Also, when the PC rebooted, neither the Comodo Firewall widget nor Qihoo 360 started with the PC and their links on the desktop were dead. Comodo process may have been running->probably was, but I forgot to check. Not sure about 360 either though. Both these apps seem to run even in the situation no matter what and also protect.

I have an image from 2 days ag,o so I restored from that, and everything is fine. This 360 extension seems to have some craziness associated to it and must be doing some kind of injecting. Seems Chrome isn't fully enforcing this yet, or maybe I would say the blue screen was directly related to this issue. Hard to believe it's not connected somehow though.

For me 360 extesion work nice
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg

Reactions: JB007

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If Google (highlight on the brand name) is able to handle your security on the browser they created, trust me, they will do a better job than your AV, which can still protect you from the downloads once you have downloaded the file with it's context scan, on-execution scan, or automatic scan on new files. As for phishing and malware URLs, Chrome is integrating with ESET which has one of the best web filters on history.
Thanks @RoboMan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.