Chrome VS Chrome-based browsers

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys! Today I would want to know your opinion about this: is it better using Chrome or Chrome-based browsers (like Chromium, SRWare Iron, etc.)

Consider that Chrome patches vulnerabilities and flaws very very faster (generally it is more safe), but Chrome-based browsers are better in terms of privacy.

Personally I prefer Chrome, what about you?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I also prefer Chrome, because it's no nonsense Interface, speed and fast security patching.
The "clones"are often a version behind, so in theory less secure.
Looking forward to the new Microsoft Edge version of Chrome.
If they can keep up with patching a little less Google is always better...

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
In terms of security, I would say most Chromium browsers should be as secure as Chrome, since they are using the same rendering engine, same url blocking list, etc.
In terms of privacy, it depends. I know some Chromium browsers who claim not to send any data to Google, but I never tested them, so I cannot confirm that. On the other hand, some others send the data to Google and to their own company too (read: Opera).
At the end of the day, if privacy isn't your main issue (which it shouldn't, since privacy on the internet is just an illusion, being obsessed about it is just a waste of time), choose your browser based on your satisfaction using it and its features. Just make sure the Chromium base updates are delivered with decent pace.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I also prefer Chrome, because it's no nonsense Interface, speed and fast security patching.
The "clones"are often a version behind, so in theory less secure.
Looking forward to the new Microsoft Edge version of Chrome.
If they can keep up with patching a little less Google is always better...
I think Edge was also an interesting browser but unfortunately it hadn't so many success. But it had interesting features like sandbox, Flash Player built-in to prevent exploits, etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I think Edge was also an interesting browser but unfortunately it hadn't so many success. But it had interesting features like sandbox, Flash Player built-in to prevent exploits, etc.
Yeah, I know. The current Edge is great on protection, it's interface, settings and speed are not the best in my opinion.
The new Edge will be build on Chromium. So the best of 2 worlds? :unsure:
Microsoft Edge: Making the web better through more open source collaboration | Windows Experience Blog

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Yeah, I know. The current Edge is great on protection, it's interface, settings and speed are not the best in my opinion.
The new Edge will be build on Chromium. So the best of 2 worlds? :unsure:
Microsoft Edge: Making the web better through more open source collaboration | Windows Experience Blog
From my point of view the most important aspect of a browser is security (antiphishing, sandbox concept, processes isolation, etc.), but for people is also important speed, UI, etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From my point of view the most important aspect of a browser is security (antiphishing, sandbox concept, processes isolation, etc.), but for people is also important speed, UI, etc.
I can agree with this, but if it's too slow and has a bad Ui it won't be used. That's why I use Chrome now and not Edge. Hope for change :D

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
By view of security, I have to say Chromium. Many Chrome services are not in Chromium, which may cause security/privacy issues (depending what user does with settings), and most secure by default from all Chromium based browsers is... Vivaldi (does only very minimal information collection, compared to rest browsers, which know all from you...), but Vivaldi is still quite new in browser world, and it feels much heavy and slow compared to rest.

Chrome is much faster in use anyway, because of "magic" ;)

L

Local Host

Chromium based browsers feel unstable, outdated and buggy compared to Chrome.

We need more browsers outside of the Chromium Base, else Google will keep using deprecated APIs and creating bad code to cripple third-party Browsers like they do with Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox.

Cast

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2018
Well so far I have given good references for personal use and current use of Googkle Chrome, I have used Chromium in the Android Mobile, I read the news about Edge based on Chrome, I also note that it will be question that we give use and an opinion.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm a bit of fa fan of Vivaldi, I suppose because I can faff about with it, I think the reason lots on here change security programs is not because they fear being taken over as most are backed up to the hilt - But because messing with programs can be interesting & keeps the grey matter running. OK I enjoy faffing with programs just for fun, if it's working I'll mess with it until it's broken. I can always image back. My tabs on Vivaldi won't change width, must find out why :) :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Chrome = basic (similar to default Microsoft apps, it is OK to use, but lacks the soul)
Chrome based = faster (all I have tried) and offer extra features (some more, some less)

Consider that Chrome patches vulnerabilities and flaws very very fast
Being behind a few weeks, is not really an issue, known malware bypasses browser's protections all the time, patched or not. Microsoft sometimes takes months to patch know vulnerabilities within Edge and security experts are not that concerned about it either. It is not such a priority. By the way, the latest stable version is 2 versions behind. Chrome 71.0.3578.98 - Chromium 73.0.3646.0. Mine browser in comparison is 70.0.3538.102.

Attachments

• capture_12202018_003449.jpg
    capture_12202018_003449.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 342

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.