Why (almost) everyone uses Chrome?

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Chrome is the also the fastest (to launch and load pages) and least likely to crash IME. :) Thankfully we have several good choices in browsers to choose from and we all have different requirements and priorities.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Browsers tend to be of personal preference. I think the reason why a lot of people like chrome is that its fast, stable, secure and they have tons of great extensions. I know some people don't like it for privacy reasons, but at the end of the day there's no denying it, its a very good browser. When its all said and done however, choose the browsers you like the most as there are pros and cons to all of them.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
You can replace Chrome with any known software. Why is everyone using Windows, although it's not so good?
This is my subjective feeling, because I don't like Windows so much. Your subjective feeling tells you that you don't like Chrome.

Everyone has different demands and different tastes. And if you don't like Chrome, it's your opinion. I also don't like Chrome because it's not as customizable as Firefox.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and LDogg
I

illumination

Chrome out of the Box, has been the most secure browser. Google also has the funds/staff to develop it at a break neck pace, patching bugs/issues. At default out of the box, it is the lightest and fastest of the browsers.

One can technically make Firefox secure, but you will not only slow it down, but laden it heavily with extensions to do so.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Personally I use it for two reasons specific reasons: It launches the fastest from both a cold and hot start and I like the way it handles bookmarks.

I have a pretty distinct hatred towards Google and if I could find an alternative that didn't come with a myriad of issues and/or annoyances then I'd switch at a moments notice. Alas I've yet to come across said alternative.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Let's discuss. What makes you think that?
Its eating a lot of Memory. Firefox doesn't use so much
Unbenannt.PNG

Reactions: CyberTech

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
edge-speed-claim.jpg

So naturally, we should believe Microsoft's claim too. Each company will claim their browser is fastest. Firefox may claim to use less memory, but as mentioned by others, it is far more bare-bones. By the time you add all your extensions to make it as secure as Google Chrome, it'll be using the same amount of memory if not more.

I

illumination

edge-speed-claim.jpg

So naturally, we should believe Microsoft's claim too. Each company will claim their browser is fastest. Firefox may claim to use less memory, but as mentioned by others, it is far more bare-bones. By the time you add all your extensions to make it as secure as Google Chrome, it'll be using the same amount of memory if not more.
Love some logic! Good reply...

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Firefox use to be a huge memory hog compared to chrome afaik, but I don't know if that's still the case with quantum. With that being said every company is going to say their browser is better and faster, it's all marketing. For me the proof is in the pudding, use it for a while and go from there.

orbitweaver

Level 1
Aug 4, 2018
I use chrome and I would have to agree that chrome uses quite a bit more memory. I opened up the same tabs in both browsers with the same extensions, granted i had a few different browser settings/tweaks in firefox that im not sure i can set in chrome, and chrome still ate more memory.

That being said with chrome devouring more resources it was still noticeably more responsive, and i personally have the system resources to spare.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I recognize that few people have Chrome due to some rational choice. And I respect that.
However, most of the people have Chrome... just because is what they have, or because is the only thing they know, or due to mass-behavior etc. Chrome spends billions in marketing, and it is auto-installed as a PUP in hundreds of applications. In analogy, is very similar to IE that has a big market share, just because is installed on Windows, and because is the only thing that average users know.

Technically Chrome is not the best browser, nor the fastest, nor the most secure, and of course Chrome is one of the worst at privacy-protection.
Not to mention that Chrome is configurable but not customizable.

Advanced users tend not to use Chrome. But advanced users are a minority.
It is similar to Linux VS Windows.

D

Deleted member 178

Chrome :

- Most secure browser: first to implement isolation and sandboxing, even in hacking conventions, black/white-hats surrendered trying to break it, they say they can, but it would be too long and too much effort for minimal gain.
- Fastest vulnerability patching: Google is rich, they can easily pay 50k-100k$ bug bounties without breaking a sweat, no other browser company can do that.

i won't trade Chrome for another browser.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Reason I use it the most is that I can have everything linked and not have to worry about anything. It's all in one place.

Reactions: gantrix

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Few reasons

1. Google - The name itself says enough for it's success.
2. UI - introduced the minimalist UI that went well with all the users.
3. Most secure - 10 years back it introduced tab sandboxing and henceforth like Umbra mentioned has taken great measures to make it more secure and unbreakable.
4. Most promoted browser - It's recommended by many popular softwares out there like Avast & CCleaner that increased it's userbase and also even by Google Search engine that 90% of users around the world uses no matter which browser it is.
5. Extensions - While they weren't the first to do this, the number of extensions has overtaken the addons galore that Firefox has in it's repository.
6. Speed - Blink engine!
7. Startup, shutdown & memory release - Extremely fast loading, shut down times & some users might complain it takes too much memory when opening lot of tabs, but at the same time it releases the memory used in the fastest time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.