Why (almost) everyone uses Chrome?

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I use Brave Browser. It has best of both worlds performance, security of chrome and more privacy.

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Desktop Linux users and panopticlick visitors use mostly Firefox and there are probably more of them there.
The more fanatical type of Linux users are biased against Chrome, because Google is an intrusive, closed-source, corporate giant. In other words, it is the Devil Incarnate, to the linux folks. So that's why Linux users who run Chrome, such as myself, try to keep quiet about it. :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
tl:dr
-RAM management
-Omnibar
-Auto update
-Security
-Chrome flags

I remember I switched to Chrome a few months after it was released. I was 100000% tired of Firefox's poor RAM management. The more tabs you opened the more RAM it was using and when you closed tabs the RAM usage didn't drop. Then came Chrome. When you closed a tab it released the memory. Amazing! It was only after years that I realized it was even more incredible that each tab was its own instance when I accidentally dragged a tab out and it turned into its own window and when you drag the window back into a multi-tab window it becomes a tab. Incredibly intuitive design. The omnibox was another massive innovation. Before you had a search box and a URL bar. Google was genius to put all into one, it's a more intuitive solution. Can't remember a website? Just type the name and it turns into a Google search query. The other massive innovation that people forget was Chrome auto-update. The browser would just update itself. A huge convenience. Remember back then you always had to download a new version of the browser from the website and then install, click the admin elevation away and click the adware away and be careful that you don't wipe your old bookmarks and settings etc. and then set it as your default browser again. Chrome just updated in the background, you close it, you open, it's on a new version and you kept all your settings. So by default I installed it on all of my parents' computers years ago. I install it on any old person's computer for those 3 reasons. RAM management, omnibar, auto-update. That's a lot of questions I will avoid in the future. I don't have to worry if they will be on the latest version, I don't have to explain to them how to find a website, I don't have to worry that it slows them down.

For me personally those things have fallen into the background and now I appreciate its security and performance. It's not as fast as Edge and Firefox out of the box but with the right Chrome flags it's faster than all of them. And Google Project Zero is an incredibly bright team that also provides patches for Chrome. What more would I want than a browser that gets patches from that team?

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
The more fanatical type of Linux users are biased against Chrome, because Google is an intrusive, closed-source, corporate giant. In other words, it is the Devil Incarnate, to the linux folks. So that's why Linux users who run Chrome, such as myself, try to keep quiet about it. :)
Same here. I tried Firefox, Brave Vivaldi but I always go back to Chromium. I found Brave nice and clean but Vivaldi was kinda slow. i focus on security instead of the hard privacy and Google is one of the best in Security.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Same here. I tried Firefox, Brave Vivaldi but I always go back to Chromium. I found Brave nice and clean but Vivaldi was kinda slow. i focus on security instead of the hard privacy and Google is one of the best in Security.
Chrome gets security updates earlier than Chromium, but obviously it is much more Googlized. Chromium is probably the balanced choice.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I chose Opera just because I use it on Android (I can't browse without my tabs at the top), so syncing stuff is always more comfortable for me.
On the PC, Opera is just another Chromium browser. It adds a couple of features (VPN, working dark theme) and updates a bit slower.
I know my privacy is very low, maybe even lower than Chrome, due to its shady policies (who the hell would trust Opera's VPN?). But I don't really care, I accepted a long time ago that I will be spyed on just because of using the internet. All I care is security and by my experience, it's the same as Chrome.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.