Battle Chrome vs Mozilla - April 2018 - Which browser should I use?

D

Deleted member 65228

The Chromium engine which Google Chrome relies on (as well as Opera) has a sandbox container for starters, but Firefox may also have such capabilities.

Site Isolation can be a beneficial defense against web-based Spectre exploitation being carried out by locally-executing JavaScript (loaded by the browser and from a website you're visiting). It works by spawning a new process per tab document with the sandbox container, and thus if exploitation of a vulnerability which works like Spectre was deployed, data exposure would be minimal compared to without the Site Isolation feature enabled (since there'd be less memory compromised for unauthorised read access).

The other Chromium sandbox containment features involve process mitigation policies to make exploitation more difficult. An example of a process mitigation policy would be Address Space Layout Randomization, Data Execution Prevention, Control Flow Guard or disabling of win32k system calls.

I once looked into the differences between security with Google Chrome and Firefox regarding banking malware (specifically form-grabbing and WebInject installation techniques) and concluded that Google Chrome was more of a difficult target in comparison to Firefox, but this is only because Google Chrome utilizes AppContainer support by default. From what I have seen, most attackers rely on DLL injection over a "file-less" approach (like code-cave/shell-code) when it comes to locally-based banking malware for form-grabbing and WebInject via compromising the memory of the browser process... And while Google Chrome isn't that much of a strong target against it, you at-least have to do more steps like change security rights on the module being injected for it to be seen as "Trusted" and allowed to be loaded by the Google Chrome processes, and this wasn't the case with Firefox last time I checked.

Mozilla Firefox introduced a new feature recently for isolating Facebook if I remember correctly; I may be mixed up with another browser.

I'm a fan of Mozilla Firefox because I feel they care more for privacy compared to Google. Feedback on Firefox is usually quite good from what I've seen, and I used to be a user myself... I don't recall it ever causing me much trouble.

You can enhance your protection on either browsers through using an ad-blocker to help fight against malvertising and disabling auto-play content (e.g. Adobe Flash). If you wanted to, you could use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to help protect against IP address exposure and even a third-party sandbox (which will work differently to how browser sandbox containers work, but bear in mind, they usually aren't compatible with each other).

The short answer is that both Google Chrome and Firefox are good choices. I think that you should use which ever one makes you feel more comfortable with using, and as always, don't be click-happy and make good choices.

Aside from being careful of your general browsing habits for website viewing and security add-on usage, remember to stay safe in terms of what data you give out whilst you're on the internet. You should be careful of who you give your data to and where. This is one of the most important things to remember. As an example, if you go around on the internet sharing your e-mail address with strangers or signing up to loads of junk, you're going to end up being repaid with an increase of malicious/spam mail due to e-mail scrapers and dodgy mailing lists/third-party data sharing... misbehaving when it comes to data sharing will increase your attack vector.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I know, Microsoft Edge is more secure than Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. However due to the lack of Extensions on Edge, both Chrome and Firefox are more suitable for many users.

Chrome users benefit from Google Safe Browsing in terms of Phishing and Malicious download protection.

Firefox Quantum is more privacy-focused than Chrome and Edge.

I recommend either Firefox Quantum 64-bit or Chrome 64-bit depending on preference.

Chrome and Firefox clones may have "extras" but most can be found with the use of extensions from their own web stores.

Privacy Badger is not available for Edge, so you may try Ghostery instead, if you choose neither Chrome or Firefox. Remember to opt-out from Data sharing if that is something you're concerned about.

See my PC Security Config thread to see what else I use. And the experimental Chrome Flags thread under Browsers and Extensions subforum.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Chrome has lesser bugs and is more stable. With Chrome you won't have much compatibility issues with websites. It is also more secure. But Firefox also is very secure, just not as much as Chrome. Firefox quantum is faster and smoother. But you may have issues with some websites. Its also uses more resources than Chrome. Firefox has better privacy than Chrome.
Personally I prefer Firefox but I do keep Chrome and Opera just in case.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Chrome users benefit from Google Safe Browsing in terms of Phishing and Malicious download protection.
FYI Firefox also using Google Safe Browsing feature since long time ago.
Security/Safe Browsing - MozillaWiki
So, it's kind of moot point to be brought up when we're comparing these two browsers.

Chrome is faster. And IMO it's the main selling point.
I agree that Firefox is more privacy friendly. But speed wise (Quantum) isn't too far behind.

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Browsers are complex things, choosing only one of them might cause a good amount of inconveniences in certain cases. You can use Firefox for regular browsing, but if you use YouTube and other Google services (except Google search) a lot then Chrome will be better choice. After the quantum update on Firefox, it has become a lot faster. So really it comes down to the user.
I use them both, but I use Firefox more than Chrome.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I use Edge as my secondary bowser and it's fast and has Smartscreen. Plus, I use it with uBlock Origin in Advanced User Medium Mode (I couldn't find my own link, duh!). It does take a little time investment to learn and use though. Medium Mode blocks all 3rd party frames & scripts and works on most sites. You tweak broken sites as needed for those you frequent. It's amazingly powerful! I never see ads anywhere unless I choose to. The key thing is to avoid flooding the rules list. I'm no geek and use it quite effectively. You could add McAfee SiteAdvisor as well but it limits the search engines you could use. And I prefer DuckDuckgo now regardless of browser so it doesn't work for me.

I rely primarily on Firefox Quantum. It's quite fast on my older laptop and it has the new Containers add-on with options to customize as you wish. I'm not sure if this add-on is more privacy- or security-oriented. Maybe someone else knows? I use it with Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere & Decentraleyes. I fired up Google recently for some reason and it's slow and heavy in comparison (YMMV)!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Both of them have their ups and downs. Just stick to using both. Firefox for the majority of your browsing and Chrome for anything Google oriented.
Exactly!
For security and privacy both are the same with add-ons/extensions enhance your security and privacy.
Opcode wrote above same thing as you: "The short answer is that both Google Chrome and Firefox are good choices."

D

Deleted member 178

Mozilla become more and more an offspring of Chrome (similar UI, use GSD, sandboxing capabilities,etc...).
i don't understand the hype about it...
They shoulld be renamed as Goozilla :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Paul.R

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Mozilla become more and more an offspring of Chrome (similar UI, use GSD, sandboxing capabilities,etc...).
i don't understand the hype about it...
They shoulld be renamed as Goozilla :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is too bad Yandex has a lot of suspicious behaviors because it is fast as hell. :(

Reactions: tonibalas

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.