Chromebase desktop , more secure than the best windows setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave epps

Thread author
Apr 10, 2017
Curious here , even though chromebase doesn't run applications directly , you can use wine and other software products to boot windows side by side chromebase OS. It's said to be secure then even at that point. Im not going to do that , but with this in mind , is there anyway to truelly infect this desktop besides chrome web browser itself? The system with its powerwash features, makes windows look horrible and I dont even have to run a firewall or antivirus. Tested my port visibility and I am stealth mode and no visible ports to speak of.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Of course, there are ways other than through the Chrome browser to infect Chrome OS. No Operating System is impregnable. If malware authors target Chrome OS more and more for malware propagation, then you'll see news about it being infected.

Also, you'll notice that it delivers security updates. This means... :D

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Of course, there are ways other than through the Chrome browser to infect Chrome OS. No Operating System is impregnable. If malware authors target Chrome OS more and more for malware propagation, then you'll see news about it being infected.

Indeed. Its security by obscurity right now. Chrome OS is limited in features and access compared to Windows. Its more limited compared to even iOS. Its also not as popular as Windows so doesn't get targeted by hackers.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Agreed, indeed in my experience there are malware for every operating system: more or less widespread, sophisticated, persistent, dangerous, some PoC (proof of concept), but they are there, or they will be created asap.
The more popular a software becomes and the more feature it gets, it'll get targeted by hackers and there'll be increase in the number of malwares.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you can do what you need on a Chromebook, go right ahead and do it. Almost all of the Windows malware will not affect you, and there is not much Chrome-oriented malware activity being reported.
Your main remaining concern will be phishing attacks and other web scams that try to trick you into giving up your login credentials and other personal info.

dave epps

Thread author
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks guys for the welcome. I am happy to say I have the most secure system on malwaretips.com. :) With my sandbox features, verified boot, cloud storage encrytped, two factor authentication, hardware backed restoration (power wash), and automatic updates that are not tampered with like microsoft.

dave epps

Thread author
Apr 10, 2017
Welcome to MT, you can post your config here:

Security Configuration Wizard
Not a Chrome hater but comparing it to Windows OS is apples and oranges.

If Chrome could do everything Windows does and enjoyed the market share of PCs Windows does they would have just as many threats.

I recently discovered through a chrome extension called browsec , which does vpn services, left port 443 open on my system. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-05-17 at 5.58.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2017-05-17 at 5.58.07 PM.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 641
Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.