Troubleshoot Chromium based browsers are laggy and freezes on android phone.

othmane

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 26, 2016
I have a new Redmi note 8 with Android 10. The problem I notice, even with my old phone, is when I use Google Chrome and any other browser based on chromium, it lags and freezes a lot. Also, when I use Firefox it did not happen at all. Is there any way to fix this?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I did. I have tried Chrome, Brave and other edge and nothing worked properly.
Edge and Edge Canary is not the same. Its way faster than the other browsers you listed.

Your issue could be related to hardware acceleration
Check if you can enable or disable hardware acceleration in your phones settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Its used only if chrome is disabled or removed. Otherwise android defaults to chrome/brave/derivatives.
Worth checking that it is still updated as per app description.
Android WebView is a system component powered by Chrome that allows Android apps to display web content. This component is pre-installed on your device and should be kept up to date to ensure you have the latest security updates and other bug fixes.

Upvote 0

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I did. In fact, I am using right now and it keeps freezing not only on redmi note 8 but also in my old Oppo
It could be an issue with your phone configuration than browser issue. Since I have both Brave and Firefox installed in my Nokia 7.2 with no issues you mentioned. You may do a factory reset after backup that will most likely solve your issue.

Upvote 0

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I had a similar issue on one of my android phones and in my case, switching to Bromite stopped the freezing. Which is odd in a way, since it's just a stock Chromium browser with some features both added and stripped out of the base source code. It may not work, since its Chromium-based, which seems to be the issue for your phone.

But you are not the only one with this issue. Quite a few of the Redmi note (Pro) smartphones have had this issue for a year now. Shared symptomes being stuttering, freezes, terrible optimization (or lack of it), if not just not working at all in regard to Chromium-based browsers. It was spread over several Xiaomi models from which Redmi suffered the most of.

One of the solutions I know of, disclaimer: may not work for all models or situations!, was to either reinstall or uninstall the android system app called "Android Web View" using the Google Play Store. Play Store -> Installed Apps -> Search for Android System Webview This system app in short is an embedded browser used to for example display html emails, render web based apps, etc.

Note: Doing this has a small chance of breaking browser-based apps, if you use any! Always test and revert back when problems arise. Which subsequently means using Firefox in your case after reinstalling the system app back.

It has something to do with Xiaomi's backend in the android rom, if I remember correctly. Since that system app is used for more than just the browser and somehow conflicted with it somewhere.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.