Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would have to agree with gery79.

D+ is the backbone to their powerful security (any case with HIPS), but remove that and you've been left with a firewall and mediocre antivirus.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Initially Comodo was a Firewall + HIPS, the v3 was exceptionnal, then they put more and more module like the sandbox and the AV. let see the v6.

I

illumination

Thread author
the D+ in Comodo is an excellent feature, but so is the sandbox with file and registry virtualization, as well as having the active process list, that will allow you to terminate and block processes.. Over all, this is a well built suite, the combined layers compliment each other.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i will the next beta version (with full x64 D+ component and less bugs) before trying it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
gery79 said:
i think Comodo is an over rated product. Especially the AV part is a total disaster . Take off the D+ which in some cases has failed like anything else in the world and you will have a crapy AV. Anyways i have Comodo License(from the giveaway they had last year) and been using it for sometimes now but really it is not a crash bing bang at all

In some ways I would have to agree with you. In the big picture Comodo is over-rated because it is NOT novice user friendly like other security suites. Since over 98% of all users are novice, Comodo really doesn't make that much difference in the big picture. Of coarse there are still many advanced users which do benefit from Comodo because it isn't a total failure. It is true that Comodo wouldn't be much without D+ but that is also what is keeping it from becoming a huge success with novice users. I wouldn't say that the AV is crappy, for a new engine, it is doing very well. It has taken many years for AV engines to become what they are now.

But in order for Comodo to appeal to the big picture, they will have to depend more on just basic firewall and AV because HIPS (D+) is not for the majority (it is getting better but still not good enough).

That's why the most popular security vendors don't integrate advanced HIPS in their products, for one the majority would not buy them or even want to use them for free because they are too complicated.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
That's why the most popular security vendors don't integrate advanced HIPS in their products, for one the majority would not buy them or even want to use them for free because they are too complicated.

I've said many times that HIPS products aren't for everyone. If you want security, go for a HIPS. If you can't deal with the alerts, a HIPS isn't the solution for you. I don't agree with dumbing down a HIPS to appeal to a mass audience.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I don't think the Comodo AV is that great. That's why I don't use it. Just Firewall and Defense+, which IMO are the most powerful parts. Using the beta right now alongside Mamutu. I did a very informal test with the beta (with a clean Windows first to see what effects the malware had and then with a Comodo 5.8 Firewall and Defense+ installed machine to see how things changed) and it performed admirably.

And I agree with HeffeD. Though the Comodo HIPS is fairly quiet in my experience.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Yes Comodo AV is more a usability component (as said Melhi) but i still thinking that it's not so bad for a young AV.

Everybody know that HIPS = Hellish Itpro Paranoid Software ^^

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Littlebits said:

It depends on how you setup your HIPS and on how large is your white list, Kaspersky and now ESET are two big companies who have integrated a HIPS into their products.
However I do agree that while a HIPS brings a new level of security , this type of protection is not for everyone.
If we strictly speak about COMODO I must say that I'm very impressed by Defense+ , I'm using CIS 5.8 for two days now , and I didn't see not one alert from Defense+ so COMODO is making some good steps in the right direction.
Also it seems that COMODO is trying to make their HIPS more user friendly with this new "Do not show popup alerts" option. :)

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 523
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
CIS becomes more and more user-friendly, and if they keep their promises for the v6 , big paid vendors, should worry :D

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, a free software that allows for full virtualization would be incredible. Currently that doesn't exist as far as I know.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
A test done by a member of comodo's forum.

https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/test-of-cis-58-beta-t74973.0.html

interesting.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
A test done by a member of comodo's forum.

https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/test-of-cis-58-beta-t74973.0.html

interesting.

Darn it's telling me to login and I don't have an account/nor wish to make one.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
CIS becomes more and more user-friendly, and if they keep their promises for the v6 , big paid vendors, should worry :D

i hope too, on v6 probably CIS will beat such as NIS or even f-secure or other vendors..?!
we'll see it :cool:

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I did an unofficial test of CIS 5.8.199581.2037 Beta (mainly to investigate it's performance for myself). In general, I am not concerned about a security program's signature based malware detection. If you do not have a signature, you are not protected (if a real-time scanner detects 99%, it takes only one malware to slip through and cause major problems). So, I want to see how well a security program can protect me even if the real-time signature based scanner is disabled.

Test set up
I ran the tests on VMware with a clean install of XP SP3 32 bit. Just to be sure, I ran the most up to date versions of CCE, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and Kaspersky TDSS Killer and all showed no infections.

I started with 61 malware files from Malwaredomain list and malcode database (about 50% of the malware was posted in the last 48 hours, and the rest were from within the last month).

Test of On demand scanner
I started with on demand scans using the most recent version and most recent malware database for CIS, HMP (hitman pro), and MWB (Malwarebytes). I scanned the malware folder sequentially with the 3 scanners (each time I scanned in a different order). Here are the results:

61 files: CIS removed 52 files --> MWB removed 7 more --> HMP removed 2 more
61 files: MWB removed 57 files --> CIS removed 2 more --> HMP removed 2 more
61 files: HMP removed 55 files --> CIS removed 4 more --> MWB removed 2 more

This is a good demonstration that using only signature based protection will expose you to malware that is unknown to your scanner (and this is why I think the signature based detection rate is not very important). The results above also show the importance of using more than one on-demand scanner to check a PC for malware.

Test of CIS with real-time antimalware scanner disabled
I then ran the 61 malware files with CIS 5.8 Beta installed (no other antimalware or security programs were installed). The CIS settings were:
Antivirus - DISABLED
Configuration = proactive
All alert options were set to allow me to chose what to do (no autoblocking). I responded to alerts as follows: Virus alert response was "clean". If the D+ alert indicated that I should block or sandbox, I did.
Rest of settings were default (firewall safe, D+ safe, sandbox enabled)

Here is what happened (the numbers represent the # of malware files that generated a given result):

40 - Almost immediate Cloud AV scanner alert and sandbox alert.
8 - Almost immediate Cloud AV scanner alert and D+ alert saying block this known malware.
7 - Sandbox alert only.
2 - Sandbox alert, but files would not run (not a valid win32 application error)
2 - D+ alert alone, and text in alert was clear enough to recommend blocking, even to a noob.

1 - D+ alert that application was signed by a trusted vender, but not yet whitelisted - okay to allow, so I allowed it. Virustotal detected this as "Gen.Variant.Kazy" malware on 16/43 scanners - not sure if this is actually malware (file submitted to comodo)

1 - ran without any alerts, trusted by comodo. Virus total scan showed malware on 1/43 scanners - may not be malware.

Ran CCleaner, then rebooted. Then I got the following D+ warnings about 30 seconds after reboot (see pics below), but no other alerts. Personally, I think these warnings are not very helpful, and many users will likely allow these requests since the alert is rather neutral. I blocked these alerts. Then, I checked the files that generated these alerts with virus total:

processindex.exe -17/43 scanners detected it as Gen:Variant.Kazy. (possible malware).
stpp.exe - 1/43 scanners detected it as adware (likely not malware).

2 other files were dropped in the same folder as stpp.exe (program files>stip)
rmip.exe - 1/43 virustotal scanners detected it as adware (likely not malware).
stip.exe - 0/43 virustotal scanners detected it (likely not malware).

Then I scanned with MWB, and it showed 8 malicious items: 6 executable files, 1 folder, and 1 registry entry. No malware was running in memory. Also, the files listed above (processindex, stpp, rmip, and stip) were not detected as malware. These INACTIVE files were likely left over because of incomplete virtualization of the automatic sandbox.

I then ran the 6 executable files that MWB detected and CIS gave the following alerts:

1 - Almost immediate Cloud AV scanner alert and D+ alert saying block this known malware.

1 - Almost immediate Cloud AV scanner alert and D+ alert saying block this known malware. But, when I selected block on the D+ alert, the file ran in the sandbox, took focus (window remained in front of everything else), and I could not bring the AV alert to the front. To access the AV alert, I had to open the task manager and terminate the malware process. Comodo needs to find a way to prevent a sandboxed malware from taking focus (full screen or not)!
2 - D+ alert saying block because heuristics detects as malware. But, when I selected block on the D+ alert, the file ran in the sandbox, took focus (window remained in front of everything else), and I could not bring the AV alert to the front. To access the AV alert, I had to open the task manager and terminate the malware process.

1 - Sandbox alert
1 - could not find the file despite viewing hidden files (could not find the folder it was in either)

Scanned next with Hitman Pro. It found 5 additional executable malware files that were not detected by MWB (but nothing malicious was running in memory). I ran the 5 executable files that HMP detected and CIS alerts were:

2 - Almost immediate Cloud AV scanner alert and sandbox alert.
3 - sandbox only (these files were detected by virus total 14/43, 18/43, and 16/43).

My conclusions:
1) Even with the CIS on-demand scanner turned off, the D+ cloud scanner will alert the user to the majority of malware almost immediately. I know it is signature based, but this shows the effectiveness of the cloud scanner in CIS.
2) Comodo needs to find a way to prevent a sandboxed malware from taking focus (full screen or not). When this happens, it often makes the PC unusable, especially when an undetected malware goes full screen (an undetected malware can take focus even after reboot). In my case, the heuristics detected the malware, and even though I blocked it, it ran in the sandbox and stole focus.
3) Comodo needs to minimize the number of alerts per given malware file. For a single executed malware file, I often got 2 or 3 cloud AV alerts, a sandbox alert, and 2 or 3 quarantined alerts (5-7 alerts for one file!). In other cases, I would also get multiple cloud AV alerts and a D+ alert for a single file. These multiple alerts are confusing. Comodo needs to find a way to prioritize the alerts, so that you get one alert for the detection and then one confirming quarantine (or other action that was taken).
4) CIS must be very careful when trusting programs. I am concerned about the integrity of the whitelist, the integrity of the trusted vendors list, and the validity of signatures. An alert that says "application is signed by a trusted vender, but not yet whitelisted - okay to allow" is not an acceptable alert if a file is malware (not sure the file was indeed malware, but it was detected by 16 scanners on virus total). As suggested many times before, Comodo needs a way to let the user control the trusted vendors list.
5) Hopefully we will see full virtualization of the auto sandbox.

for the lazy MrX :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As the one of the conclusion made by the member. That even the AV was disabled the cloud scanner managed to prevent the samples, which is pretty much effective.

Its clearly that CIS beta did it good.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Yes, they made us wait this version very long, but they start to bring their promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.