App Review CIS Proactive Config Review (HIPS Disabled)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
That's why using CIS with a local scanner is rather pointless. The strength of Comodo is in the Auto-sandboxing feature and to a lesser extent the firewall (the HIPS and AV are superfluous), so CF is more than enough.

Also, I think that this is the first Comodo Video where the product was used correctly (compliments to Yigido).

Y

yigido

Thread author
That's why using CIS with a local scanner is rather pointless. The strength of Comodo is in the Auto-sandboxing feature and to a lesser extent the firewall (the HIPS and AV are superfluous), so CF is more than enough.

Also, I think that this is the first Comodo Video where the product was used correctly (compliments to Yigido).
Thank you @cruelsister ;) This shows how people should use, I do not know how people can infect themselves while using CIS.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Yes I agree with cruelsister but CIS and FW are equally difficult tako why not use the CIS

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
David- CIS and CF are identical except for the presence of a Local AV scanner being included in CIS. Remember that both products have a Cloud AV.

So essentially the only difference between the two is that you can do an on-demand AV scan of the computer with CIS. Keeping in mind that currently Comodo's definitions just aren't as good as other products, why bother with it? You are better off using CF and keeping Malwarebytes Free on hand for whenever you want to scan your computer.

Reactions: yigido

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's the main signature from CIS, their HIPS/BB/Firewall/Autosandbox makes everything fully work on flaw and everything were dependent if signatures are bypass already and in such powerful features, needs to be handle very well by an experience users.

R

rocky

Thread author
I only use CF but this review is the only one I've seen similar to how I have it configured. Thanks for a good test.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author

i think Comodo should go for something like smart/optimal local database & full databases on the cloud.
This will cut down on the size of the databases a lot.
And true to as they say, their product is protection based.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I do not know how people can infect themselves while using CIS.
By clicking ALLOW:p:D
If the new antivirus engine is good then Comodo will step up a level;) and if they improve HIPS then Comodo will be a top software.
And the best part is free:)
Very good review yigido and keep up the hard work;):)

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
David- CIS and CF are identical except for the presence of a Local AV scanner being included in CIS. Remember that both products have a Cloud AV.

So essentially the only difference between the two is that you can do an on-demand AV scan of the computer with CIS. Keeping in mind that currently Comodo's definitions just aren't as good as other products, why bother with it? You are better off using CF and keeping Malwarebytes Free on hand for whenever you want to scan your computer.
Hello
If you have Comodo Firewall installed, you will still need an antivirus on your computer. While Comodo Firewall has a cloud based behavior analysis system which can detect zero-day malware, it does not have any antivirus definitions or heuristic analysis capabilities.
Comodo Firewall is good product, however I would still recommend that you also install the Comodo Antivirus alongside this product.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
By clicking ALLOW

Toni- you bring up an EXCELLENT point. There are those that can't be trusted to make a correct decision (usually men). With version 8 of Comodo, it can be setup so that no popups are shown at all- the default action is implemented automatically. Basically a no-brainer for no brainers.

Regarding the promised new AV engine, unless it comes concurrently with an improved method of scanning the web and identifying malware as well as increasing current personnel to feed definitions into it I can't be too enthusiastic yet (but again I really am not a fan of traditional AV's anyway).

Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What is the difference between default & proactive settings if HIPS is disabled on proactive too?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
cruelsister About the new engine i totally agree with you, this is a good way of improving the software's performance.

About AV's i am in the opposite position from you, i like more av's and not firewall's because most of the time third party firewall's need user's interaction.
So at the moment i am staying with Windows firewall which has minimum alerts;)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
So at the moment i am staying with Windows firewall which has minimum alerts;)

Windows Firewall - that's all you're very likely to ever need.

Maybe take a look at BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control.

$10, Lifetime license, unlimited installations...

Monitor outbound WF connections... in the beginning there can be a bunch of alerts, but that calms down in a short while after configuring.

It is a whale of a deal.

It works. Oh yes, indeed it does. :D

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Windows Firewall - that's all you're very likely to ever need

I could not disagree more strongly with that statement. Assume that you run across a true zero day malware for which no AV definitions exist (and I would hope that you agree that no AV scanner is 100%). Assume further that the malware is a keylogger or downloader or worm. All of these to fulfill its malicious purpose needs to connect to the malware server. A Firewall with Outbound alerts will give you a chance to stop it; Windows firewall will not.

Please trust me on this- no matter what Firewall you choose, just make sure it is aware of Outbound Traffic.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I could not disagree more strongly with that statement. Assume that you run across a true zero day malware for which no AV definitions exist (and I would hope that you agree that no AV scanner is 100%). Assume further that the malware is a keylogger or downloader or worm. All of these to fulfill its malicious purpose needs to connect to the malware server. A Firewall with Outbound alerts will give you a chance to stop it; Windows firewall will not.

Please trust me on this- no matter what Firewall you choose, just make sure it is aware of Outbound Traffic.

Hello cruelsister,

I could not agree with you more...that is why I recommended BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control since its purpose is to add outbound notifications (paid version only).

Reactions: tonibalas

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.