Battle Clean Install of Windows 7: Eset vs Emsisoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Just did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit SP1. Need to choose ESET Smart Security v9 or Emsisoft Internet Security. I only have 4GB of RAM and the laptop is 5 years old. Looking for excellent protection as top priority followed by impact on System performance. Primary use is school /work laptop w/ important documents. Also, Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. I thought I read somewhere that since Office 365 is virtualized in general, some AV's don't protect it. Also using HitmanPro.Alert and Rollback Rx with Shadow Defender.

Thanks!

Reactions: Alkajak
A

Alkajak

Not particularly happy with ESS9 on Windows 10, but Windows 7 is a different story.

Protection goes to ESET for sure, for me.

System impact is about neck-and-neck for the two, but I'll give it to EIS11 for this. Having used both, ESET has always given me the impression that it is present and that it is running, as I can almost feel my system being ever so slightly weighed down by it. EIS11 runs as quietly and smoothly as Windows Defender.

Good luck on your decision!

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I choose Emsisoft because its have really good behavior blockers, customer support, dual scan engines, install and forget, and user friendly interface, less complicate settings for novice users. Unlike ESET, it's require some users to configure HIPS to match with Emsisoft behavior blockers.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Just did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit SP1. Need to choose ESET Smart Security v9 or Emsisoft Internet Security. I only have 4GB of RAM and the laptop is 5 years old. Looking for excellent protection as top priority followed by impact on System performance. Primary use is school /work laptop w/ important documents. Also, Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. I thought I read somewhere that since Office 365 is virtualized in general, some AV's don't protect it. Also using HitmanPro.Alert and Rollback Rx with Shadow Defender.

Thanks!

Looking at this, I presume you are a not a heavy user. Mostly using office application and occassionally surf website?
If that's the case, then for me, I would just remain as what I have.
You already have 3 of the more powerful apps in your laptop. I would just turn shadow on boot for SD and then HMPA scanner occassionally. If you want a firewall, just go for Windows firewall or Windows Defender too if you need a real-time detection.
I can suggest you could add "anti-exe" if you are not into installing programs frequently or a "sandbox" (Sandboxie or ShadeSandbox) but really up to you.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Looking at this, I presume you are a not a heavy user. Mostly using office application and occassionally surf website?
If that's the case, then for me, I would just remain as what I have.
You already have 3 of the more powerful apps in your laptop. I would just turn shadow on boot for SD and then HMPA scanner occassionally. If you want a firewall, just go for Windows firewall or Windows Defender too if you need a real-time detection.
I can suggest you could add "anti-exe" if you are not into installing programs frequently or a "sandbox" (Sandboxie or ShadeSandbox) but really up to you.

I spend 6+ hrs a day on PC. Lots of Web stuff. How about EIS 11 + HMP.Alert? (Although ESS has protected me from several exploits (blocked them and notified me).

Shadow Defender or RollbackRx?

Any other advice?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I spend 6+ hrs a day on PC. Lots of Web stuff. How about EIS 11 + HMP.Alert? (Although ESS has protected me from several exploits (blocked them and notified me).

Shadow Defender or RollbackRx?

Any other advice?
U can run EIS and HMPA.
You can also run both SD and Rollback RX. Just be mindful when running the RollbackRX. @Umbra have a guide on how to use this. He can advise you on that perhaps. It's a great program but you hv to know how it works first.

Reactions: soccer97

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This is pretty tough especially on Windows 7 because both run well on 7.If considering 10 as of right now I would have to say EIS
Both provide excellent protection.IMO ESS wins the firewall aspect.
On my systems both are very light.Emsisoft has really come a long in terms of updates since version 8 and version 11 is hardly noticeable.
A bit different in terms of protection with BB & HIPS but with some configuration on ESS HIPS they are pretty equal.
With EIS you can pretty much install it and your good to go.
You cannot go wrong with either one on Windows 7 but since I am using EIS on Windows 10 right now I would give EIS the win by an ever so slight margin.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
This is pretty tough especially on Windows 7 because both run well on 7.If considering 10 as of right now I would have to say EIS
Both provide excellent protection.IMO ESS wins the firewall aspect.
On my systems both are very light.Emsisoft has really come a long in terms of updates since version 8 and version 11 is hardly noticeable.
A bit different in terms of protection with BB & HIPS but with some configuration on ESS HIPS they are pretty equal.
With EIS you can pretty much install it and your good to go.
You cannot go wrong with either one on Windows 7 but since I am using EIS on Windows 10 right now I would give EIS the win by an ever so slight margin.

@exterminator20

Thanks exterminatior20 and @CMLew for the detailed post. I am going for EIS 11 on one PC, ESS on an older one. You guys have explained that essentially the HIPS from ESS and behavior blocker along with other modules in EIS are very similar. I really appreciate the help. Windows 10 overall. Prefer it over 7?

I will also make sure to be careful with compatibility between software. I will find Umbra guide.

Thanks Again!

Reactions: Exterminator
D

Deleted member 2913

I would say Emsisoft.
Good & clean software i.e no bloats
Nice GUI
Good traditional & proactive protection
No HTTPS scan - I prefer security software not messing with HTTPS - so personal choice.
Occasional alerts needing user input.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its all about choosing your favorite secondary components, HIPS or BB which will reflect the product you will choose.

Secondly, Windows 7 is far from issues hence both should run without fuss/issues.

Meanwhile from privacy, they are both not intrusive and have their purpose to collect and improve their detection.

Reactions: soccer97
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.