Mar 29, 2018
ClearURLs update: v.1.20.0

• Added Dutch translation by Harm M.
  • Changed url decoding to prevent endless loop
  • Performance optimizations for rules by @thexeos
  • Changed default rules and hash host to Github Pages
  • Changed rules changelog button href to the new rules submodule repo
  • Updated various translations - thanks to all contributors
Currently available in Chrome Web Store only, which is stange since it's usually last to get updates.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think it still hasn't settled the eTag issue. Below is taken from Chrome Web Store for ClearURLs

All functions in a nutshell

* Removes tracking from URLs automatically in the background
* Blocks some common ad domains (optional)
* Has a built-in tool to clean up multiple URLs at once
* Supports redirection to the destination, without tracking services as middleman
* Adds an entry to the context menu so that links can be copied quickly and cleanly
* Blocks hyperlink auditing, also known as ping tracking
* Prevents tracking injection over history API
* Prevents Google from rewriting the search results (to include tracking elements)
* Prevents Yandex from rewriting the search results (to include tracking elements)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think it still hasn't settled the eTag issue.
I don't think he's figured out how to fix it. He has indicated "it's something with Chromium", as if there is no fix, which we know is incorrect.

He had also indicated the entire extension would be re-written, but I don't think it's happened with this version.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've added italics for emphasis.

ETag filtering not working? (#524) · Issues · Kevin R. / ClearURLs
That's weird. ClearURLs removes the ETag header, but Chromium somehow seems to store it anyway, so it doesn't matter if ClearURLs deletes it or not.

I have to investigate this again. Maybe it would help if I also remove the If-None-Match header. If it is no longer sent, it should theoretically not be possible to map it anymore with the ETag. However, this header is also used for POST requests to avoid duplicates. So here we need to make a distinction by request type. I don't know yet whether this is possible so easily.
ClearURLs fails the eTag test at Cookieless Cookies. · Issue #67 · ClearURLs/Addon
I know about this problem. Unfortunately, the eTag filtering under Chrome does not work correctly at the moment. Under Firefox everything is cleaned up correctly. I have to find out why this is the case.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Removing ClearURLs for Firefox

The reason why this extension still exist in my FF is its ability to remove ETags

You can remove this extension (if you want) if you have Adguard for Desktop and add the necessary 'Strip URLs tracking parameters' to it. Its 'Block hyperlink auditing' is now handled by FF itself because I have auditing/block CSP reports in uBO disabled and it pass the Ping Spotter test below

To pass the cookieless cookie test go to change the preference settings as below

crssi commented on Dec 4, 2017

About ETags and performace...
To get rid of ETags, I have set:
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.enable", false);
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 0);
No ETags, but I don't see any performance issues too.

Unquote

Notes:-

1) The above same settings affect the setting of FF to RAM by setting
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.enable", true);
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", -1);

2) You can set a certain amount of the RAM or set -1 for dynamic allocation of RAM.

3) Besides the above two settings other settings are also needed to completely set FF to RAM. So the decision lies with the user.

Test it at

Now, I have one extension less

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.