Serious Discussion Clipboard Protection for Android phone

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
A clipboard is a location where you copy and paste some things there be it text or image. It is useful for people who wants to use the clipboard.

However, for the security-conscious it's best to clear the clipboard upon work completion.

There are 2 clipboard locations. One is the system where you can view and clear with apps like Clipboard Cleaner, Clipeus etc. The other is your keyboard. None of the mentioned apps can clean the keyboard clipboard. You'll need to clean from within the keyboard itself.

Below are 3rd-party kb which comes with a clipboard and, hopefully, they allow the disabling of their clipboard for I have not try any of them.

However, I installed Yandex kb which comes with a clipboard instead.

Pros
1) By default, its clipboard is disabled.
2) Need to clean only 1 clipboard location i.e. the system clipboard
3) Can disable its telemtery data being send back. And you can also use NextDNS to block the telemetry data and trackers

Screenshot-20230529-230832-Firefox.jpg

Screenshot-20230529-222527-Yandex-Keyboard.jpg

Con

1) The app comes with trackers

Note that other 3rd-party kb do come with trackers and they do collect input statistics to send home

I'll use my Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra as an example.

Pros

1) You can disable screenshots saving to clipboard
2) It gives an alert when the clipboard is accessed

Screenshot-20230529-231834-Samsung-Keyboard.jpg

Screenshot-20230529-231808-Settings.jpg

Cons

1) Samsung kb do not have provision to disable its clipboard nor history. It allows you to clean the clipboard within its kb though. FF screenshot shows text stored on kb clipboard. Read reddit discussion below
2) Need to clean 2 clipboard locations

Screenshot-20230529-210545-Firefox.jpg

Finally, cleaning the system clipboard with Clipboard Cleaner

Screenshot-20230529-222744-Clipboard-Cleaner.jpg

Screenshot-20230529-222824-Clipboard-Cleaner.jpg

So far, I have not found an automatic way/app to clean the clipboards. If you know of a way or an app please share.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It’s been noted by the developer:
"On some android devices the clipboard cleaning might not work as some vendors implement their own method of managing clipboards."

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
can android itself work on these instead of relying on other apps? feature request maybe?
Edit: See post below.

No, but you can try submitting feedback using one the links below.

Skeptical Google would implement user-submitted privacy-conscious feedback, as they generally reduce usability and ease of use for the wider audience.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Jonny Quest
F

ForgottenSeer 76546

I think android 13 automatically delete the clipboard history after an hour, well at least on the Pixel. It's really annoying on a Samsung phone, I always have to clear it myself, most of the time I just end up forgetting about it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think android 13 automatically delete the clipboard history after an hour, well at least on the Pixel. It's really annoying on a Samsung phone, I always have to clear it myself, most of the time I just end up forgetting about it.
Thanks for the information. Edited post above.

For on-demand use, Clipboard Cleaner can function from the Tiles.

Seems like a $500 Pixel is more privacy-focused than a $1500+ Samsung phone.

Android 13 has safeguards built in to help protect your personal data. To protect the information on your clipboard, you’ll get an alert when an app accesses it, and your clipboard history will be cleared after a period of time to prevent unwanted access.
Source: Android 13 - Customizable Apps & Security Controls - Android

Notably, too, Gboard automatically clears its clipboard after a certain period of time as well, probably to achieve the same privacy goal. But in Android 13, this automatic clearing will happen regardless of which keyboard you use.
Source: Android 13 will automatically clear your clipboard after about an hour

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 76546

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.