Advice Request Clone / Backup program for free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Heya guys! I have a question regarding cloning, is it even still a thing? I know from back in the days there were like a program called " BackOnTrack" or something, which basiclly made an image of ex your C: drive, and it was a perfectly fine " clone / image " which i could just revert back to super easy without any specific program, or needing it to be exactly as the backups require etc.. i hope you understand what i mean / looking for, and i would highly appriciate if someone could point me in the right direction if there is still a program like this. if not, what do you recommend?

Thanks & Best regards.. :)

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Ok course :)

Did You check any security config in section Computer Security Configuration ?

We are always recommending a full image system solution (Macrium Reflect, AOEMEI BackUpper, etc...)

Currently with SSD disks is very fast to perform backups of disk images...

Thanks, but are they not harder to get back to? Meaning if as little as 0.1% is not correct it won't get back to teh backup? And i also have to re-install computer and the install the backup program of choice to get it back?

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Usually those tools allow You to create an USB to recovery, so easy to boot the system from USB and then recover the system image with a few clicks...
Meaning? I need that USB Recovery thing? Im checking out macrium now, and i can't seem to find such an option, i only find to create a windows iso, but it might be what you mean?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Meaning? I need that USB Recovery thing?
USB Recovery is needed to restore un-bootable Windows. You can also restore from within Windows, if it is just damaged, without USB.
It is usually pretty straightforward.Simply select the desired image and click Next - Next - Next. It should be done within minutes.

Attachments

• capture_09262020_193304.jpg
    capture_09262020_193304.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 299

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Well, arlight. Thanks, so what program do you recommend me? And also, cloning would be more efficient for me since im gonna change disks / pc soon, any clues on that? Thanks for everything! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Macrium is good software. I have the paid version, but the free version is probably good enough for most people.

It can take a little bit of learning at first- but once you get used to the interface it is easy to use.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks guys! But Marcium does not seem to have the ability to clone? Which seems to be the way to go if you wanna swtich pc / hdd / ssd? :)

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
I stopped using Backup on my Private System some time ago and do not regret the decision made.

Why is that?
- Window 10 installation does not take a long time and is super fast
- Programs I use are Minimalistic in nature:
-- Steam
-- Office 365
-- HiDrive
-- Edge Chromium
-- Discord
-- NetLimiter
-- 3CX Windows App
-- F-Secure AV
-- Sublime Text

All the Data is on the Cloud anyway -> Steam Game Saves -> HiDrive for my Docs. -> Edge Chromium with my Fav. -> 1PasswordX (Edge Extension) ---- Plus the Programs are installed super fast too... (Next Next Next Done) :D

Like that I am Windows 10 Build Version neutral and can keep up with current upgrades.

Tip: Keep a USB Stick with the current build. ;)

Best regards
Val.

P.S. If you want to Backup use Veeam Agent for Windows (Its Free) and works out of the box. No bloatware - Not too many features and super easy to use ^^

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I stopped using Backup on my Private System some time ago and do not regret the decision made.
I had the same philosophy, but i have recently changed it. I have scripts to setup Windows fast, but it just can not beat 5 mins image restore. Imagine coming home from work at 10 p.m. and finding out, that Windows is broken. I do not think you would rather spend even an hour reinstalling than playing a game.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.