New Update Cloudflare announces Warp VPN service

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Cloudflare revealed the company's first VPN product today called Warp which it plans to launch as part of the company's 1.1.1.1 application soon.

April 1st is probably the worst day to make announcements for products that do exist. Cloudflare apparently could not pass the opportunity to select April 1st, or 4/1, as the date to reveal Warp.

The company launched a DNS service a year ago and with it the DNS applications 1.1.1.1 for Android and iOS. The service supported security features like DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS, a strict no IP address logging policy, the deletion of logs in a 24-hour period, and fast speeds especially compared to default DNS services operated by most ISPs.

Cloudlfare calls Warp a "VPN for people who don't know what V.P.N. stands for". The explanation that Cloudflare gives is relatively weak: according to Cloudflare, it is the simplicity that makes it attractive to users who don't know about VPN services. The explanation is weak as Cloudflare's solution is not the first that offers a simple option to use a VPN.

Warp encrypts all Internet traffic, respects end-to-end encryption, and does not require that users install a root certificate on their devices.Unencrypted Internet connections will be encrypted but only between the user's device and Cloudflare's server (similarly to how all VPNs handle this). The same is true for all respected VPN services.

Cloudflare promises that Warp's performance, reliability, and focus on preserving power are what will set it apart from comparable services.

We’ve built Warp around a UDP-based protocol that is optimized for the mobile Internet. We also leveraged Cloudflare’s massive global network, allowing Warp to connect with servers within milliseconds of most the world’s Internet users. With our network’s direct peering connections and uncongested paths we can deliver a great experience around the world. Our tests have shown that Warp will often significantly increase Internet performance.

Warp will be offered as a free option that is included in the company's 1.1.1.1 application. Cloudflare is working on Warp+, a premium version of Warp that will be available for a "low monthly fee" for people who want more speed.

It is not uncommon for companies to finance free versions of a product using premium offerings.

Warp+ follows Cloudlfare's web-based servicing model. The company offers a base version of Cloudlfare for free and paid upgrades to unlock certain features.

Cloudflare promises, in regards to the always hot topic privacy, that
  1. browsing data won't be sold or used for targeted advertising.
  2. user-identifiable log data is not written to disk.
  3. that users may use Warp without supplying their name, phone number or email address.
  4. that it will hire third-party auditors to make sure the service delivers what is promised.
The service itself uses WireGuard combined with Cloudflare's Mobile SKD. Warp+, the premium version of Warp, will use Cloudflare's Argo next to that as well.

Waiting list

cloudflare-warp

Android or iOS users can join the waitlist in the 1.1.1.1 application. Some may not see the option to join the waitlist yet as update propagation takes some time usually.

Closing Words
Warp's strengths are that it is backed by a company that operates one of the largest networks on the planet, and that it will become a part of the 1.1.1.1 on mobile for ease of use. Users don't have to sign up for it if they use the free version similarly to how Opera's browser VPN works. The difference is that Warp works globally while Opera's solution only in the browser.

Desktop applications will be released at a later point in time. Warp won't convince users that distrust Cloudflare, but the success of the 1.1.1.1 application has shown that there is a huge market out there for such a product.

Source

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Warp cannot be used to change your location. Instead it works behind the scenes to increase speed and privacy

Better not to use Cloudflare

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Cloudflare's WARP Secures iOS and Android Web Traffic for Free

Cloudflare's WARP mobile app for iOS or Android designed to secure all the Internet traffic on one's mobile devices is now available for everyone.

WARP works by making DNS requests faster and by automatically encrypting all unencrypted connections by default without requiring users to install an extra root certificate.

The WARP mobile app was announced on April 1 and it was expected to be rolled out until July. Since that didn't happen until today, around two million people signed up to try the app and got added to the waiting list.

"As a way of hopefully making amends, for everyone who was on the waitlist before today, we're giving 10 GB of WARP Plus — the even faster version of WARP that uses Cloudflare’s Argo network — to those of you who have been patiently waiting," says Cloudflare's CEO Matthew Prince.

WARP is sort of a VPN

According to Prince, "the basic WARP service is free without bandwidth caps or limitations. The unlimited version of WARP Plus is available for a monthly subscription fee."

WARP Plus uses Cloudflare's proprietary virtual private backbone Argo tech which routes all requests to avoid all Internet traffic jams and reach higher speeds than the ones achieved by the free service, loading web assets 30% faster on average.

JimHdy

Level 1
Oct 6, 2019
If it's a VPN and it works properly it should be able to allow you to change your location, there's no such thing as a VPN that only works behind the scenes and doesn't change your IP, it is against the definition of what a VPN is supposed to do. This sounds like some sort of weird scam to me.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
If it's a VPN and it works properly it should be able to allow you to change your location, there's no such thing as a VPN that only works behind the scenes and doesn't change your IP, it is against the definition of what a VPN is supposed to do. This sounds like some sort of weird scam to me.
It's not a VPN in the traditional sense. It doesn't hide your origin IP. It does encrypt your traffic and uses Cloudfare's DNS. Below is an excerpt from their blog. Also keep in mind that WARP is free. WARP+ is the paid service that allows routing through Cloudfare's network which is said to reduce network congestion.

From a technical perspective, WARP is a VPN. But it is designed for a very different audience than a traditional VPN. WARP is not designed to allow you to access geo-restricted content when you’re traveling. It will not hide your IP address from the websites you visit. If you’re looking for that kind of high-security protection then a traditional VPN or a service like Tor are likely better choices for you.

WARP, instead, is built for the average consumer. It’s built to ensure that your data is secured while it’s in transit. So the networks between you and the applications you’re using can’t spy on you. It will help protect you from people sniffing your data while you’re at a local coffee shop. It will also help ensure that your ISP isn’t hoovering up data on your browsing patterns to sell to advertisers.

WARP isn’t designed for the ultra-techie who wants to specify exactly what server their traffic will be routed through. There’s basically only one button in the WARP interface: ON or OFF. It’s simple on purpose. It’s designed for my mom and dad who ask me every holiday dinner what they can do to be a bit safer online. I’m excited this year to have something easy for them to do: install the 1.1.1.1 App, enable WARP, and rest a bit easier.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I had the Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 app on my phone just in case I need to bypass a light webfilter (I use a real VPN for Fortinet at my uni). Mysteriously it suddenly created a VPN connection when I was on Facebook, I uninstalled it immediately.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I’m checking out the app on iPad just to see what’s what. I thought it’s main purpose is to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks. I don’t get the VPN marketing because it clearly is not one, especially for free.. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is a WARP+ and WARP+ unlimited for Pc, anyone knows where to download and how to subscribe?
All I see is this, which says "... for mobile devices ..." and "... desktop coming soon... "

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There is a WARP+ and WARP+ unlimited for Pc, anyone knows where to download and how to subscribe?

I`ve only found the above for telephones.
Not sure about the Warp+ , but you install from here.
Screenshot 2020-10-16 211654.jpg

I still have issues with WARP though, it connects to Singapore instead of India (Bombay), so much higher latency (~80 ms instead of ~30ms) for me.
Only real use case scenario that I can see for WARP is while using public Wi-Fi hotspots.

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Not sure about the Warp+ , but you install from here.
View attachment 247411
I still have issues with WARP though, it connects to Singapore instead of India (Bombay), so much higher latency (~80 ms instead of ~30ms) for me.
Only real use case scenario that I can see for WARP is while using public Wi-Fi hotspots.

On just that site you can see an add about WARP+ and subscription.

While browsing the net i found info that says that you can subscribe via the app but it did not say - not for Pc. Even if the net info gives the impression that it now exists for use on all devices i could not find how to subscribe for WARP+ unlimited for Pc.

I am testing WARP just now, it does not go faster then with their DNS but if it works, well.

Ps. i just noticed that it had stopped working and that i had to start it up all again. I am using the release version. Maybe buggy, hmm. Better watch it.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I will suggest to let warp do what it's name implies and us NextDns:
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSAWCMTwPiU
Above will change your mind from it.
50 Malicious URLs vs. NextDNS, Quad9, Cloudflare, COMODO DNS, and Google DNS

Reactions: Venustus

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have been using adguard desktop + cloudflare / quad9 dns for long time now

I gave warp a shot, and what i saw is while gaming + downloading large files it wont eat all my internet so games work with normal ping and the download will not use full capacity of downloading capacy so it maintains decent ping/ using internet while downloading stuff wich is an one plus to use warp

Second notice while using adguard is that im usually getting 70 ping while gaming adguard desktop/ without

But with warp im getting stable 50 ping

When im using adguard desktop + i usually use antivirus that wont inject certificates into browser so they dont overlap

But with warp i can use ublock origin + warp+ antivirus that used to se certificates like kaspersky and have faster quering in browser using thanks to ublock origin + better ping while gaming thanks to warp

The vpn part, it will show ip to any site using cloudflare , but the sites that are using other authentication than cloudflare wont see your ip ( i dont care that much about vpn part though)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.