Aug 4, 2017
upload_2017-8-4_14-37-28.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It looks like an Acer program that tries to do an update but fails to find some files. Go to the Uninstall menu and remove DriverSetupUtility.

1. On the Start menu, type Control Panel in the search box and select Control Panel from the results.
  2. Select Programs > Programs and Features, and then select the DriverSetupUtility program.
  3. Uninstall the DriverSetupUtility program.
  4. Follow the directions on the screen.
After this, make sure the folder C:\Program Files\DriverSetupUtility and C:\ProgramData\acer\updater2 have been deleted. If not, delete them.

Next, check which programs are set to run on Windows startup (1), and what scheduled tasks are set (2).

• (1)To change which apps run at startup, press and hold (or right-click) the Start button, select Task Manager, and then select the Startup tab. Choose an app, then select Enable or Disable. Generally speaking, you only need your Antivirus to start with Windows, all the other programs can start on-demand.
  • (2) On the Start menu, type schedule in the empty box and select Schedule tasks from the results. Find a task called "ACC" related to C:\Program Files\DriverSetupUtility\ and delete it.

Upvote 0

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
Another evil SW from Acer:
DriverSetupUtility - A black popup once every hour - Johannes Wiese

I remember the one I find-out inside a customer computer client on late 2014, than solved disabling the integrated NIC and adding a new one.
After time I understood it was included in genuine BIOS firware, precisely in ASF feature of every Veriton x2630G, wich send in the connected network Land attack packets every 20 secs. Fortunately this SNMP packet was hand-crafted for a not in use IP address in that network so there weren't problems just some noise packets running, but the firewall was constantly notifing these attacks in the log.
I was ready to proceed by report this event to local CERT, but my customer told me to avoid. I was pretty curiose and sure that someone else sooner or later should find it as well, so I repeted many related Google searchs and after almost one year I found this public document which had public unveiled all:
A LAND attack and/or BIOS virus?
I don't know if Acer has been informed or even prosecuted for this problem.......

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.