Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok guys, after a long time spent testing products back and forth, it is time to request some help, after all even the advanced user can do with opinions and since I am open to suggestions lets kick off.

PS: I didnt post this in the War room section since there is a mix of products and what I am looking for is decent combos suggestions:

Components for combos:
Treatfire Free
Winpatrol free (no license at the moment)
Privatefirewall
Tinywall firewall
Look 'n' Stop Firewall (not sure if its worth paying for it)
Online Armor free
Augnitum Outpost free
Avast Free Av
ESET NOD32 5
VIPRE Internet security 2012 (if need be/suggested to disable certain components within VIPRE)
CIS (note that I am unable to run the Firewall component due to incompatibility with my xbox360 wireless card/adaptor)

Appreciate your suggestions.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Components for combos:

Treatfire Free : useless, it is not very supported , use a lot of resource, and the protection is far from excellent

Winpatrol free (no license at the moment): useless too, autorun do the same for free, any security decent suite with BB/HIPS will protect your registry base. The real-time module is slow to react.

Privatefirewall good one, can be selected

Tinywall firewall if you need a simple basic FW that supersede Windows firewall

Look 'n' Stop Firewall (not sure if its worth paying for it) : you can have better for free and paid, used it long time ago, ruin my system

Online Armor free surely the best choice here for firewall/HIPS, lack some features of the Premium version, but has enough to strongly protect you. i just regret it use around 30mb of Ram just for a firewall

Augnitum Outpost free : very good suite and free, the main rival of CIS for me

Avast Free Av: the best free AV in the selection, light with many features.

ESET NOD32 5: very good before, since to have lost some power in removing/cleaning malware lately. still a good choice for protection

VIPRE Internet security 2012 (if need be/suggested to disable certain components within VIPRE): very good and efficient suite with hips, just the UI i don't like.

CIS (note that I am unable to run the Firewall component due to incompatibility with my xbox360 wireless card/adaptor): useless without the Firewall , its top feature with D+

My choices in order:

1- Outpost suite free (because i prefer suite than separate component)
2- Avast + OA (avast for the protection , features, lightness; OA for the HIPS)
3- Vipre (3rd because it is paid, have clearcloud dns)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
HeffeD said:
umbrapolaris said:
useless without the Firewall , its top feature with D+
You can still use D+ with the AV.

Of course, but the the firewall of CIS is very very good and tweakable, so using CIS without it seems underpowered to me (like driving a Formula 1 with speed limit at 150km/h ^^), specially with the other choices available in his list. If he said "i want only a very good hips" i will change CIS to CAV and put it to green

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i have been using combo of online armor free and avast free in my desktop pc and combo of comodo firewall and avast free (with webshield disabled due to issue of comodo firewall and avast webshield) in my laptop.....both combination has no slow down on system at all....

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If i was you and i have available option that you mention above i will definitely choose paid product first.( i am not saying free product are bad and paid are good but in the option u given some paid products are much better then free products,Mcaffee paid is worst then avast/mse free)

My 1st choice will be:
Eset+LookNstp+winpatrol free

My 2nd choice will be:
Avast free+Privatefirewall+winpatrol
or Avast free+Online armor

My 3rd choice will be:
Vipre Is

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
D-ONE said:
If i was you and i have available option that you mention above i will definitely choose paid product first.( i am not saying free product are bad and paid are good but in the option u given some paid products are much better then free products

Not totally true, CIS (or Avast, AVG, Outpost...) are free and has equal or even more options than many paid product.

Winpatrol is also a paid one and give nothing more exceptional than Autorun + MJ Registry Watcher (both free and portable), the realtime guard is so slow than you will be alerted 5mn later.
I used it before and i dont have the need of it anymore.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

What I am looking for is a Decent/Good detection AV + decent Hips and if need be a firewall.

ESET's HIPS seem ok, Im still awaiting for the Interactive mode to kick off after I used the learning mode for 3 days. I know the detection is good but removal is samewhat to be desired (an example was the assistance thread I posted earlier, where ESET detected a worm in memory but couldnt remove)

VIPRE HIPS look ok too but somehow I find a bit of no info.

Whats the features of OA that lacks against the premium one? would that have much of an impact towards fw/hips?

D+ enough said. Good Hips.

So if I wanted to Incorporate ESET and D+, thats out of the question since I cant use CF due to Xbox Issues (at least until I buy a new adaptor which will take a while), right?

Thank you so far for the suggestion

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
biozfear said:
What I am looking for is a Decent/Good detection AV + decent Hips and if need be a firewall.

so I would go with Outpost security suite free or Avast + OA free

ESET's HIPS seem ok, Im still awaiting for the Interactive mode to kick off after I used the learning mode for 3 days. I know the detection is good but removal is samewhat to be desired (an example was the assistance thread I posted earlier, where ESET detected a worm in memory but couldnt remove)

use MBAM for removal :p

VIPRE HIPS look ok too but somehow I find a bit of no info.

Yous should ask to Thewolfsmith72 , he using it right now : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-New-Config?pid=55317#pid55317

Whats the features of OA that lacks against the premium one? would that have much of an impact towards fw/hips?

OA free HIPS remain same than the one in OAP, you just dont have some features:

comparison charts: http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-free.php

D+ enough said. Good Hips.

So if I wanted to Incorporate ESET and D+, thats out of the question since I cant use CF due to Xbox Issues (at least until I buy a new adaptor which will take a while), right?

for defense+ you have 2 workaround:

1- install Comodo FW; and disable the Comodo Firewall when gaming (a bit weird i know ^^)

2- Install Comodo AV (which includes D+) then add a companion AV like EAM or MBAM Pro if you don't trust Comodo detection capacities (my tests show that its good enough)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would you use any other software, that is not listed, (ie. MSE Pre-release or Panda Cloud AV Beta)?

Also have you used TinyWall Firewall before and what did you think of it?

P

Plexx

Thread author
Earth said:
Would you use any other software, that is not listed, (ie. MSE Pre-release or Panda Cloud AV Beta)?

Also have you used TinyWall Firewall before and what did you think of it?

I have used TinyWall Firewall before and it was fine for my gaming needs. What I liked in TinyWall was the interface, being straight forward and also the profiles based system.

Other Software I havent listed, sure as long is final versions.
Panda Cloud AV (not the beta) I have used before but somehow got infected. When I tried downloading from the website again 2 days ago to test it I couldnt install as it keeps telling me theres an error and I should re-download.
Microsoft Essentials I have never really used it to be honest.

I am open for suggestions so if you guys have any, fire them up :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
Thanks a lot umbra, Ill have a look at those options in Virtual. will take me a few days to test out the combos provided so far.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Do whatever dont use Avast+OA i had bsods for it. ADD Panda Cloud to top it. IT co exiss well.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Tried Downloading Panda Cloud and still unable to install. I got it from here. Is there another link?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you get the same errors with the v1.9.2 beta (which has IDS / Firewall too).

But what types of errors/messages do you received whilst trying to install?

P

Plexx

Thread author
How stable is the beta?
Ill try to install it again and take a screenshot of the Error message. Give me some time as I am having my dinner :)

Will edit the tread and include the screenshot

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
malbky said:
Do whatever dont use Avast+OA i had bsods for it.

Really? not happened to me. good to know anyway.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
LOL lots of BSODS with OA andAvast. Its mainly Avast behaviour shield which misbehaves. I used BlueScreenView to find. Avast+Outpost(disable Outposts or Avast web filtering for net acess). Best is Avast+Private Firewall or Avast+Zone Alarm.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
malbky said:
LOL lots of BSODS with OA andAvast. Its mainly Avast behaviour shield which misbehaves. I used BlueScreenView to find.

unlucky you ^^

Avast+Outpost(disable Outposts or Avast web filtering for net acess). Best is Avast+Private Firewall or Avast+Zone Alarm.

He didn't select ZA on his list, also he want an HIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.