Comodo Cleaning Essentials 2.3.219500.176 (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
I have no reason to make accusations,

Then why are you? :huh:

Not only the accusations that they copied the code, but also that SysInternals and wj32 aren't happy about it and want to sue. (Again, links please)

No, I haven't compared the code because I expect wj32 and the folks at SysInternals are much better at that than I. And as far as I'm aware, they don't have any complaints.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Littlebits said:
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:
I can remember back when IObit violated Malwarebytes license and everyone slammed them real hard for it. But it's ok for Comodo to do the same to Process Hacker and Microsoft Sysinternals as IObit did to MBAM and get away with it?

CCE isn't using anyone else's code...

And how would you know that for sure, because Comodo said so and you believe them?
The developers at Microsoft Sysinternals and Process Hacker believe that they have taken their codes without permission even plan to take legal actions against Comodo.

I'm sure we won't here much about the legal battle unless it goes public which Comodo doesn't want.
This might explain why CCE isn't listed on major download sites or even their homepage for download.

If anyone is in doubt that Comodo violated these codes, download Sysinternals Autoruns and Process Hacker compare them for yourself.

If you are into programming you can drop the files into a code analyzer and compare the difference.
Let's say I was shocked that Comodo did this.

Nothing against you HeffeD, this is a Comodo issue they will have to resolve.

Good day.:D

may I ask how a normal person can analyze the codes. I would like to compare.

I would like to say that Comodo added CCE-files when it was based on PH. I saw it with my own eyes, I never took a snapshot when I saw it sadly.

I personally believe that Comodo wouldn't do such thing; it would only harm as well as damage their reputation. I can imagine that some of program's code might be smilar in one way or another since they have similar function.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Valentin N said:
I can imagine that some the different program might be smilar in one way or another since they have similar function.

Yes. Programmers are all stuck with using the same commands to accomplish tasks, so when writing an application that does the same thing, I would expect to see some identical strings. Especially in a low-level programming language. (Note that I have no idea what language these are written in, I merely know that the lower-level the language, the quicker and more efficient your program is because there is less interpreting to be done when passing arguments to the CPU)

And since programming is such a strict discipline, (If you do it wrong, it won't work) unless the programmer is very sloppy, you could also reasonably expect to see a similar program structure.

Again, this is all conjecture. I haven't compared the code in question...

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
@Littlebits
Sorry, but in my opinion you seem to be a little paranoid.
Topic from autoruns' forum is a little old and it was connected with screen-shot which Egemen provided to show upcoming feature.
GUI was similar to Autoruns so someone posted it on the forum. Finall version of Autorun analyzer has completely different UI.

If I were you I would compare Process Hacker, Process Explorer, Process Monitor and Process<Whatever input here pls>
You might be shocked. They look almost the same.
Yep.
They are developed for doing the same things. As well as KillSwitch.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
may I ask how a normal person can analyze the codes. I would like to compare.

It is very hard for someone who is not into programming to understand the program language, in a way it would look like Chinese to someone who writes in English. There are no free code converters that will translate the programming language into something that can be read by an average person. (That I know about).

However you can use this freeware viewer to view and compare codes, but it only compares line by line doesn't list similar parts or doesn't convert lines so it is hard to see if exact codes were present to an average user. But a developer can manually compare and read exact copies or modified lines with WinMerge.

Guys I don't want you all to think that I'm a Comodo hatter, I have many friends that are Comodo fanboys and that's alright with me. Even two of my moderators at my site are Comodo fanboys.

But from a developers point of view, Comodo doesn't seem to respect others work. It is nice to have a vendor like Comodo that provides us with many freeware products which I support freeware.

I see nothing wrong with Comodo using other developers codes with their permission and making better products by adding new features. But when they completely lie to their own users and say they wrote their own codes from scratch and give no credits to the developers who wrote the base code, it really gets under my skin. Comodo suppose to be about Trust.

I know some of you would like links to other info about this situation, but when things are going on behind closed doors, you simply won't find any links. This situation is already in the process of getting worked out. Hopefully with a good outcome for all. I'm not entitled to give out any more details. I have been silenced for now, let's say there will be code changes made in future versions of Comodo Autoruns and Killswitch.

Good day.:D

D

Deleted member 178

You know many vendors copy each other or use others companies technology (like Norton buying Threatfire and suddenly Sonar became awesome...) i "heard" that PH were willing so there is no problem. There is the public facade and the hidden room...we are just customers so we will never know all the whereabouts.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even KillSwitch is having lots of controversy related on the source code, overall this tool definitely improved much.

I think for CCE its better if it includes database already since some malware could generally cut off the internet connection when placed to infected system. (As I read on previous post here)

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Even KillSwitch is having lots of controversy related on the source code, overall this tool definitely improved much.

I think for CCE its better if it includes database already since some malware could generally cut off the internet connection when placed to infected system. (As I read on previous post here)

If malware would cut off the Net connection then you have to download copy of CCE on another PC.. and then you'll download database as well. On the infected PC with the USB stick with 1. CCE and 2. Database on it you could easily import virus database to your CCE copy without net connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.